Mayhem Marauders Meet-up Part Deux!

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Let the Trip Reports Begin!!!

Post by mindflipper » Jan Fri 06, 2012 3:00 pm

First Day, Part One

As if some foreboding from MmeLeota's "freeway mayhem" yesterday, my interstate travels this morning was beset with thick blanket of fog nearly all the way down. Thankfully, the traffic was lighter than I had imagined, so I made the Yacht Club Resort by 10:35 AM (my target goal was 10:30 AM). I had done the on-line check-in last night, so all I had to do was pick up the key and to my luck the room was already available. After that, my luck ran out. My room is located nearly at the end of a friggin' twisting hallway maze that make the queue for the Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye look like a cakewalk (those of you who've been to Disneyland know what a walk this queue is!).

My great mistake was letting the bell service take my luggage. If you ever stay at the Yacht Club take this advice: NEVER LET THEM TOUCH YOUR LUGGAGE! The bellman delivered luggage to my room, but it was not mine. When I told him he delivered the wrong luggage to the wrong room, he insisted instead he delivered the right luggage to the right room and that I was in fact the person in the wrong spot. I showed him my paperwork, but he insisted I needed to leave the room and return to the main desk and get my right room. I wouldn't let him leave that luggage there, and then I had to walk the entire length of that friggin' twisting hallway maze back to the front desk on the ground floor. I ended up with several of the staff, including the front desk manager and the bell service manager, as it was left for me to explain what the idiot bellman was trying to tell them. The only thing that would have made this farce complete was to have Basil Fawlty emerge from nowhere and slap them all on the back of their heads, and then dismissing the entire event with the wave of a hand and saying, "Don't bother with them. They're all from Barcelona."

Well, got it straightened out, got my luggage, and returned to my room was more walking the entire length of the friggin' twisting hallway maze. Sorry, Len90, but so far I'm not sold on the Yacht Club as you are. The Swan has always given me better service than that.

Anyway, here's my room for those interested:

And here's the view from my room:

Because I had lost so much time with Larry, Curly, and Moe of the Yacht Club staff, I need to get lunch somewhere quick so I went for a burger and shake at Beaches and Cream:

Before the room fiasco, I had called and left Mousekedude a message. During my lunch, he called back. He and Mouseoholic did finish their run this morning - and they're both still alive, no injuries. They were both very tired, and were thinking about skipping their lunch ADR to rest and relax after the run. After lunch, I headed off to the Magic Kingdom:

I made my way to the Haunted Mansion (where else of course?):

I know the sign said 25 minutes, but it took less than that (maybe 15?) to get to the front door. I did go through the new area and took some photos of that area (it was very crowded, as it seemed more people were taking this option instead of the bypass). I wanted to video tape the end of the ride, but discovered that my video camera did not in fact charge overnight as I had thought. So afterwards, I returned back to the Yacht Club to start it recharging. While it's recharging, I thought I could get the chance to start my trip report of my day so far. Once the video camera is recharged, my next destination is Disney Hollywood Studios. I want to videotape the Osbourne Light Display as tonight is the last night for it, so at least I will get rested up for that.

And yes, a lot of the Christmas stuff is still up, including the tree at the MK:

Part Two to come later...

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Mayhem Marauders Meet-up Part Deux!

Post by Amy » Jan Fri 06, 2012 4:55 pm

wewantsdaredhead wrote:
MmeLeota wrote:Good morning y'all!!!! We're here and still in shock that we're actually here! Can't wait to see everyone...NaCler, no problem if you can only be here for the meet up, but at least you can make it! :D

Have a safe drive Soarin!!!!! See you tomorrow!
We just checked in also!!
About to go poolside and have a cold one....ya know for the carbs for tomorrow. ;)

See everyone really soon!!
I've never heard of carb loading with beer before a race :shock: :roll: ;) I'll mention that to my triathlete brother and he'll probably be all over that! :lol:
So many friends all in one place ~ I'm so sad not to be joining y'all :( But happy that y'all are going to be there!!

Wow mindflipper ~ what a start to your vacation :shock: Your room looks very nice even if it is located in the Siberian section of the hotel ;)
Forgot that tonight was the last of the Osborne lights. I hope MmeLeota and Cbog40 make it there!
Last edited by Amy on Jan Fri 06, 2012 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Fri 06, 2012 4:59 pm

With a planned lunch get-together at the Biergarten tomorrow around 1 PM, I would have thought that carb-loading with beer would be done there...

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Fri 06, 2012 5:01 pm

mindflipper wrote:With a planned lunch get-together at the Biergarten tomorrow around 1 PM, I would have thought that carb-loading with beer would be done there...
That's the post-race carb re-loading! ;)

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Jan Fri 06, 2012 6:48 pm

Just arrived in Orlando at my friend's place. Spending the night here with their kids and then we are off to WDW in the morning!!!!
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Jan Fri 06, 2012 8:27 pm

Ok, working from my iPhone here, so gonna make it quick. Nice start to your trip report, Mindflipper. We're 4 days into our mayhem already, so a lot has happened, but will come back to it later.
So for anyone I haven't texted or pm'd yet, here's our plan for tomorrow, the big day: DHS for EMH in the a.m. They open at 8. We have to transfer rooms first, so may get there 8:30-ish. Mayhem will ensue, then we transfer to Epcot right before lunch ADR (1:05 at Biergarten). Afternoon at Epcot, transfer to Poly 1.5 hrs before Wishes. RSDWs on beach, etc.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jan Fri 06, 2012 11:37 pm

Glad to hear you made it safely mindflipper! I saw about the dense fog mayhem across the state (and the whole southern coast for that matter) and hoped that everyone who was to be traveling today would make it safely! Sorry to hear about your run-in with Larry, Moe and Curly at the YC...what a way to start things off. :roll:

We didn't get to go to any parks today, thus we missed out on the Osborne Lights...we're bummed, but it just means we'll have to come back again! ;) We did however have quite a fun little day today... :D

On a side note: We saw on the news tonight that a Disney bus hit a barrier and sent 6 people to the hospital. There wasn't much information, so we shall see if there's more in the morning. Hopefully all on board are ok and that none of our fellow marauders were involved.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Fri 06, 2012 11:48 pm

MmeLeota wrote:Glad to hear you made it safely mindflipper! I saw about the dense fog mayhem across the state (and the whole southern coast for that matter) and hoped that everyone who was to be traveling today would make it safely! Sorry to hear about your run-in with Larry, Moe and Curly at the YC...what a way to start things off. :roll:

We didn't get to go to any parks today, thus we missed out on the Osborne Lights...we're bummed, but it just means we'll have to come back again! ;) We did however have quite a fun little day today... :D

On a side note: We saw on the news tonight that a Disney bus hit a barrier and sent 6 people to the hospital. There wasn't much information, so we shall see if there's more in the morning. Hopefully all on board are ok and that none of our fellow marauders were involved.
Sorry you missed the lights MmeLeota :( But as you said, it gives you a reason to come back again :D
Oh no ~ I hope all the bus people are not seriously hurt. I also hope there was no mayhem leading up to the crash :shock:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Fri 06, 2012 11:52 pm

Mousekedude wrote:Ok, working from my iPhone here, so gonna make it quick. Nice start to your trip report, Mindflipper. We're 4 days into our mayhem already, so a lot has happened, but will come back to it later.
So for anyone I haven't texted or pm'd yet, here's our plan for tomorrow, the big day: DHS for EMH in the a.m. They open at 8. We have to transfer rooms first, so may get there 8:30-ish. Mayhem will ensue, then we transfer to Epcot right before lunch ADR (1:05 at Biergarten). Afternoon at Epcot, transfer to Poly 1.5 hrs before Wishes. RSDWs on beach, etc.
I hope you can still get a good FP return window, i.e. before you leave for EPCOT, for Toy Story since you'll be there a little late. Are you still hoping to get into O'hana for dinner, or are you just planning on staking out a really good spot for Wishes?
How are the Mouskecouple's legs holding up after the run? Congrats on finishing!! :goofy_bounce:

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

And the Trip Report Continues...

Post by mindflipper » Jan Sat 07, 2012 12:14 am

First Day, Part Two

And now for Part Two of today...

I had a goal today to achieve a sort of challenge that only Jezza, the Hamster and Capt. Slow could only love. The challenge was in a single journey from the hotel to visit 3 - that's right, 3 - themeparks and try to use as many different transports as possible and do it all in just 6 hours. Is such a crazy challenge possible? So we start at 5 PM at the rear of the Yacht Club resort:

First, we start with the basic mode of transportation at WDW: foot power. I walked from the Yacht Club to EPCOT World Showcase, and went to Japan:

Where I got to see some lovely Koi:

There, I had Chicken Teriyaki at their little out-of-the-way fast food restaurant. After dinner, I went to the American Pavilion, where I noticed this sign that would make the Turkey Leg Lovers of this website quite happy:

I proceeded to visit the Italy Pavillion before heading the boat dock at Germany:

Taking one of the Friendship boats across the lagoon (sorry, Len90, I didn't pay attention to which Friendship it was), I headed out of World Showcase. Along the way, I spotted NaCler's and Mousekedude's old pal and I knew they would love it if I just posted this photo: :wink: :lol:

I then proceeded through Future Showcase and got this shot of Spaceship Earth:

I then headed to the EPCOT monorail station at 5:55 PM, where I lost a great deal of time while it was parked at the station for 17 minutes. The driver just didn't want to leave, and had to persuaded as they already had the next monorail parked on the loop waiting to enter the station. :roll: It took me more than 35 minutes from boarding that monorail to disembark it at the TTC (we parked again on the tracks before arriving at TTC). In whole, we spent more time parked than we actually did moving. BTW Len90: it was monorail pink.

Unfortunately, my monorail woes didn't end there as I had to take another to the Magic Kingdom. And it too parked for a long time on the tracks. :evil: My advice to you: if you want to get from point A to point B quickly, stay off the monorails.

I entered the Magic Kingdom at 7 PM (thanks to those speedy monorails) and it was still lit up for Chirstmas:

I did the Haunted Mansion ride again (this time, the wait was less than 10 minutes and the people operating actually knew what they were doing; earlier, the ride would go fast, then slow, then too fast, then back to normal, and stop, then restart - it was chaotic). However, my video camera still didn't record the new ending because it was just too dark for the poor thing. No matter. Two parks done, one to go...

I took this time the bus. Here's something I've learned. If you have a party of 30 or more, make sure one of them is in a wheelchair if you're using the resort buses. In the old days, they used to make the rest of the party wait in line but not tonight. It was the gold pass to allow you to skip ahead of the rest. My plan was to go to the Swan resort as I had just missed the Yacht Club bus, but I had to switch back to the Yacht Club resort bus as the Swan/Dolphin/Boardwalk bus filled up before it ever started boarding the resort guests who had waited 20 minutes in line for that bus. Those are the breaks. But luckily while I wasted my time in the line for the Swan/Dolphin/Boardwalk resort bus, another Yacht/Beach Clubs bus pulled up, and I was able to board and leave before that other bus left to the Swan/Dolphin/Boardwalk.

Once I got to Yacht Club I passed through the lobby and went to Lighthouse docks at back to get the boat to Disney Hollywood Studios. Having just missed it, I had to wait 20 minutes for the next. I arrived at DHS about 8:20 PM, and the park had closed at 8 PM. But luckily for me, being a resort guest, the park was having EMH until 11 PM that night, so I was still getting into the park. First stop: the new 3-D Star Tours. I do have admit the video quality of the film is incredibly improved on the old as the colors are more vibrant and the image more crisp. Kudos for this re-vamp. But as I breezed that whole ride in under 20 minutes what next? Well, let's be crazy and try Toy Story Midway Mania:

The Stand-by line sign said it was 80 minutes, but most of that is probably due to bottleneck created at Mr. Potato Head. I got to skip another portion of the line was they discovered I was a single rider, and I did the entire ride - without fast-pass - in under 35 minutes. My score was a lowly 92,330 - ouch. :oops:

I then spent 20+ minutes over Osbourne Light Display taking photos and video:

And all this, I still had more than an hour to go. What the heck - I headed over the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror:

Breezed through it in under 20 minutes. Picked up the photo afterwards (can barely see me, but it's proof I was there), did a little light shopping on the way out, and then the boat back to the Yacht Club resort. I picked up a drink and munchies in the lobby, took the elevator to my floor, and walked that friggin' long hallway maze to my room. And I got back with 10 minutes to spare. Arrival time: 10:50 PM. Accomplished three parks in under 6 hours.

So if you're wondering if it is possible to cover three parks in six hours, I have now proven it can be done. But here's my Subsonic tip to you: don't. Because if you do, you'll just end up hating how bad the Disney transportation can really be. In the past, I usually have done one park, one day in a drive-down-and-back trip in just one day. Now actually using the transportation, it seems to be far worse than I have ever remembered it. The monorails just seemed to be grossly mismanaged. One of my buses today at the MK bus depot nearly got hit by another bus. It just doesn't seem to run as smoothly as it all had in the old days. Even the boats were a bit crazy over at the waterway between EPCOT and DHS. Appallingly, it seems the most efficient and reliable form of transportation today - were my feet.

And on that bombshell, good night... :mrgreen: :mickey:

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Jan Sat 07, 2012 9:12 am

MmeLeota wrote: We didn't get to go to any parks today, thus we missed out on the Osborne Lights...we're bummed, but it just means we'll have to come back again! ;) We did however have quite a fun little day today... :D
The lights run through Monday. I'm going tomorrow evening if anyone wants to join me!

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Jan Sat 07, 2012 9:36 am

Amy wrote:Oh no ~ I hope all the bus people are not seriously hurt. I also hope there was no mayhem leading up to the crash :shock:
They are more than likely fine. Local media here makes it a point to put anything about any incidents involving Disney transportation (Monorails, buses and watercraft) in the news ever since the Monorail accident in 09. Even before the accident, the local media loves to show that bad things do happen at Disney and Universal too (even their respective local channels of ABC [WFTV] and NBC [WESH]!).
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Sat 07, 2012 10:01 am

Wow mindflipper. I was impressed at how much you accomplished in one short hour at EPCOT. And then the monorail struck. That is strange. I wonder if they were experiencing some sort of problem as they don't normally park for long periods like that?? Never seen that with the bus either. Although I did notice larger and larger groups boarding through the back doors with their parties this past time we were there. Never a huge group like 30 though :shock:
Not a great score on Toy Story huh?! You were probably so shocked to have gotten through the queue that quickly. That is pretty impressive with no FP!
Beautiful shot of the Osborne lights :D
We really lucked out on transportation when we were there. The monorail and boats were the slowest for us. We always lucked out on buses and usually were able to board a bus within minutes of arriving at the stop. There were a few nights we had to wait a little, and of course the very last day, when we were returning to the resort to catch the Magical Express, we had to wait a super long time for that bus ~ don't know why that always happens. Makes you sad you didn't spend a few more minutes taking photos. But I suppose that is because we prefer to be responsible and try to allow time to get where we are going instead of blaming the bus drivers and traffic and everyone else. That happened a lot while we were there :( So my advice, don't give up on the Disney transportation mindflipper, they really are pretty good over the long run :D
Looking forward to today's photos of the mayhem!!!!

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Sat 07, 2012 10:54 pm

So far today, the buses are still more reliable than the monorail, but my best transportation today: Soarin08's car. She was giving the Mousekecouple a lift back to their hotel tonight after the fireworks, and was kind enough to let me tag along.

I hope I recount all the member names we had tonight at the Wishes Dole Whip Meet-up:

ccmouse
MmeLeota
Chernabog40
Mousekedude
Mouseoholic
Wewantsdaredhead
Yodiwan1
MadEye
NaCler
and myself
(if I left anyone off - I'm sorry - it's been a looooooong day and I'm reaaaaaaallllyy tired right now)

Along with spouses/GFs, we had a total of 15 people present! If Boilerbabe's injury didn't keep the Double Boilers from attending, it could had been 17!

My prayers have been with boilerbabe today. I hope her R&R today allowed her to recover enough not to have the rest of their trip marred by her injury. BTW she did finish the race, with the time being 2 hours 22 minutes! I think that's really impressive! Both ccmouse and Wewantsdareadhead (and his spouse) ran the race today as well and had very good times as well! Congrats to all who ran this weekend!! :mrgreen:

I don't have time to do Day Two today, so it will either be done tomorrow or Monday. I want to do it justice because it was really incredible to meet everyone today!!!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Sun 08, 2012 8:21 am

That is a great meet-up! I'm glad b-babe was able to finish the race ~ and I would say she had an excellent time too! Too bad she wasn't able to come to the meet-up though :( Hopefully you will get a chance to hang out with them today a bit?? :D