How is the Disney Dining Plan working these days?

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

rmorton50

How is the Disney Dining Plan working these days?

Post by rmorton50 » May Thu 22, 2008 11:10 pm

My grand gathering of eight persons, (six adults and two young children,) are planning a trip to WDW in June 2009. We're staying at the Poly concierge, so we will have breakfast there. We're considering the dining plan, but It doesn't seem to be the great value that it was a few years ago.

Have you used the dining plan this year? What benefits did you find? What drawbacks?

Thanks for the help,
Roger

AKLRULZ
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by AKLRULZ » May Fri 23, 2008 4:56 am

I've only booked one client this year who didn't enroll in the dining plan. You'll still save on average 20-30% off the price of the same meals ala carte using it. I think it's a great value and the Deluxe plan is even better if you're booking 2 credit venues.

And, just as an FYI you need 9 people for an "official" Grand Gathering at Disney. I'm sure anyone here would love to join your party! :D

Happy planning!
Steve Baker ~ Travel Consultant :mickey3:
Steve.Baker@themagicforless.com
Affiliated with The Magic for Less
www.themagicforless.com

[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4199/userbar517512ps8.gif[/img][/url]

Dr. Ravenscroft
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » May Fri 23, 2008 11:11 am

I always wondered if it would work for me, but I don't think it would really. I eat breakfast in the resort room, then Lunch and dinner are at counter service. Is there a way to downgrade the table service to a counter service? If not I don't think I would ever get the Dinning plan because it would never work out.

To say that I have NEVER been to a table service would be a lie but really in the past 10 years I have only eaten at BierGarten twice, and that is the only table service in WDW that I have eaten at.
[img]http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/4131/userbar460642qi2.gif[/img][img]http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/5236/userbar460651xq4.gif[/img]
[img]http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/7677/userbar461525mz8.gif[/img][img]http://www.disneymountainrides.com/_i/banners/bar/SR_siteadmin.gif[/img]

*****Site Admin*****
[url=http://www.twitter.com/travenscroft]twitter[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/49f5nd]plurk[/url] | [url=http://tinyurl.com/556rz4]Flickr[/url] |

SWHorn
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Re: How is the Disney Dining Plan working these days?

Post by SWHorn » May Fri 23, 2008 2:46 pm

rmorton50 wrote:but It doesn't seem to be the great value that it was a few years ago.
You no longer receive an appetizer with your table service meals, and gratuity is not included anymore, either. (They will, however, charge an automatic 18% to parties of 6 or more.)

That certainly puts a damper on the good value that it was. But, it doesn't take away completely from the Dining Plan's worth. It really just depends on what type of WDWers you and your family are. Do you eat sit-down meals at the restaurants every day or most days in your trip? Then the Dining Plan is likely still a good option.
Dr. Ravenscroft wrote:I always wondered if it would work for me, but I don't think it would really. I eat breakfast in the resort room, then Lunch and dinner are at counter service. Is there a way to downgrade the table service to a counter service? If not I don't think I would ever get the Dinning plan because it would never work out.

To say that I have NEVER been to a table service would be a lie but really in the past 10 years I have only eaten at BierGarten twice, and that is the only table service in WDW that I have eaten at.
No, there is no way to downgrade it. It is a very beneficial program for people who eat a LOT of food in the parks. Table service meals take up a ton of time. If you don't already eat in a lot of restaurants when you're there, it isn't going to be good for you.

The Dining Plan basically comes out to $40 ($10 for children) per person, per day. You each get 1 Table Service Meal, 1 Counter Service Meal, and 1 Snack.

The Deluxe Dining Plan is $70 ($20 for children) per person, per day. You each get 3 Table Service meals and 2 Snacks and a refillable resort mug. I, personally, can't fathom how you could do this, even if you went to 2-credit meals every day. That is still a minimum of 2 Table Service meals every day. It just dictates the trip way too much for my personal preference.
No fear hath ye of evil curses, says you.
Arrrrrr.
Properly warned ye be, says I.

Sleeping Beauty 5
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Re: How is the Disney Dining Plan working these days?

Post by Sleeping Beauty 5 » May Fri 23, 2008 5:42 pm

SWHorn wrote:
You no longer receive an appetizer with your table service meals, and gratuity is not included anymore, either. (They will, however, charge an automatic 18% to parties of 6 or more.)

That certainly puts a damper on the good value that it was. But, it doesn't take away completely from the Dining Plan's worth. It really just depends on what type of WDWers you and your family are. Do you eat sit-down meals at the restaurants every day or most days in your trip? Then the Dining Plan is likely still a good option.

Someone that I work with just went to WDW and really enjoyed having the Dining Plan. I have only had it one time while I was down there when they included the appetizer and tip and it was definitely worth it back then. I agree with SWHorn that you definitely have to look at whether you'll use it or not and whether it'll make sense for you but don't forget that it can also be used/meals combined for special character or certain signature dining meals.

kcarts
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by kcarts » May Fri 23, 2008 7:50 pm

I agree it is a great value, if you eat everything they offer on it. Many times you either don't use the entire amount of meals or for your sit down meal you wont get everything that comes with it (i.e. everyone gets an appetizer, meal and a dessert).

I believe that we broke even last time we used it. IF you're getting breakfast every morning at the concierge, I'm not sure the money spent will be worth the food you eat.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » May Sat 24, 2008 10:52 am

rmorotn50, you're staying at the Poly concierge!? You won't regret it!!! My husband and I got upgraded to concierge on our honeymoon, we had a regular garden view room booked and they upgraded us, a MK view room too! It was WONDERFUL! We also had the dining plan and found we really wouldn't have needed it. There is food most of the time throughout the day at the concierge (good food too). There should be a little menu they give you so you know what they're serving when. We found the dining plan to be to much wasted food. But that was in late '06, we haven't used it since.

Hope you have a wonderful trip in '09!

Merryweather
King Arthur Carousel Horseman
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Post by Merryweather » May Sun 25, 2008 12:17 pm

We tried it once. Our experience was that it was way too much food especially on top of all the goodies available to Concierge Lounge guests.

rmorton50

Post by rmorton50 » May Mon 26, 2008 12:22 am

Thanks everyone!
While the jury is still out, I'm thinking that we will probably not do the dining plan this time. We feel like it was just too much food for us last time. We don't really eat that much. We will still do our share of sit down meals but will probably do some sharing of entrees and the children don't eat much. We plan to make good use of the concierge lounge, as we did last time in '06. This plan will allow each family to eat and spend as much as they want and will probably save money in total. I have to admit, though, that having the dining plan last time allowed us to try several restaurants that we might not have tried otherwise. WDW has some great places to eat!.
Thanks,
Roger

SWHorn

Post by SWHorn » May Mon 26, 2008 12:25 pm

rmorton50 wrote:Thanks everyone!
While the jury is still out, I'm thinking that we will probably not do the dining plan this time. We feel like it was just too much food for us last time. We don't really eat that much. We will still do our share of sit down meals but will probably do some sharing of entrees and the children don't eat much. We plan to make good use of the concierge lounge, as we did last time in '06. This plan will allow each family to eat and spend as much as they want and will probably save money in total. I have to admit, though, that having the dining plan last time allowed us to try several restaurants that we might not have tried otherwise. WDW has some great places to eat!.
Thanks,
Roger
This pretty much describes our family (minus the concierge). We had a great time doing the dining plan and trying out restaurants we never would have otherwise. But, it turned out to be too much food and took too much time for us. We're just going to select the restaurants we want to go to and do that.
No fear hath ye of evil curses, says you.
Arrrrrr.
Properly warned ye be, says I.

bbowen13
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by bbowen13 » May Wed 28, 2008 10:43 am

It really worked out well for my wife and I back in December. :mickey:

Croaker
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Croaker » May Wed 28, 2008 5:33 pm

i just tried to buy the dining plan for my friend that is planning a trip in September. He is staying at All-Star Movies. but....since he didn't book through disney ...but through Travelocity....he is not eligible for the Dining Plan. seems rather silly. I personally didn't know that rule existed. I always thought it you stayed on Property...you could get the dining. guess not.
[img]http://www.oleole.es/main/web/images/manchester-united_banner.jpg[/img]

rmorton50

Post by rmorton50 » Jun Sun 01, 2008 9:05 pm

Croaker wrote:i just tried to buy the dining plan for my friend that is planning a trip in September. He is staying at All-Star Movies. but....since he didn't book through disney ...but through Travelocity....he is not eligible for the Dining Plan. seems rather silly. I personally didn't know that rule existed. I always thought it you stayed on Property...you could get the dining. guess not.
Thanks for that bit of information. I had not heard about that before. For those that may want the dining plan, this is important to know about.

metsofny

Post by metsofny » Jun Tue 10, 2008 1:32 am

The plan this year is still good. but now it no longer gives a appetizers or tips for the waiters and waitresses. I can deal with out the appetizers at most places. But the taking away the tips will probably hurt the employees, which isn't that nice.

Croaker

Post by Croaker » Jun Tue 10, 2008 10:56 am

the fact that they didn't lower the cost and took away the tip is whats odd...but we have to look at it as a trial phase. They are getting the balance of it now. my guess is that it will change once more then they will have a lock on it. I'd like to see a plan that offers two counter service and two snacks.
[img]http://www.oleole.es/main/web/images/manchester-united_banner.jpg[/img]