Jumping the Pond

Planning a trip? Just get back? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Jumping the Pond

Post by Amy » May Fri 25, 2012 8:12 pm

Joe90 wrote:
MmeLeota wrote: I haven't heard a bad review of the butterbeer. ;)
No bad reviews possible. There is a fortune to be made selling that stuff and Universal are making it.
One possible bad point. Price. It is way more expensive than real beer.

Now when can we have it in cans from the grocery store?
(Watch out CokaCola H. Potter could magic away a large chunk of your market)
mindflipper wrote:What makes up "butterbeer" at WWoHP?
And how expensive is it??

Sleepy90
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Sleepy90 » May Sat 26, 2012 11:59 am

Amy wrote:
Sorry Mindflipper the recipe is a huge secret, however I did find one site that includes some ingredients such as butterstoch, cream soda in the bottom beer section and marshmallow in the creamy top. I don't know if this is true or not but as I said previously it tastes like cream soda to me.

Amy it is not that expensive it's about $8 a tankard.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Sat 26, 2012 12:35 pm

Sleepy90 wrote:
Amy wrote:
Sorry Mindflipper the recipe is a huge secret, however I did find one site that includes some ingredients such as butterstoch, cream soda in the bottom beer section and marshmallow in the creamy top. I don't know if this is true or not but as I said previously it tastes like cream soda to me.

Amy it is not that expensive it's about $8 a tankard.
Sounds like it would be super sweet...

Joe90
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Joe90 » May Sat 26, 2012 4:28 pm

It is quite sweet but it isn't super sweet. Less sweet than a Dr Pepper (for example) It isn't sickly either.
It has been described as a cross between butterscotch and shortbread, I would also add some vanilla and nutmeg The foam topping is rich and creamy with popping bubbles. What more can I say..........you pretty much have to try it.

You get around (maybe a bit more) the same quantity as in a single soda can. For $8 thats quite expensive in my book.

Still worth it though :)
"We live in a society absolutely dependent on science and technology and yet have cleverly arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. " Carl Sagan

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Sat 26, 2012 4:37 pm

I love how you guys disagree (lovingly I'm sure) on whether the cost of the drink is expensive :lol:

Joe90

Post by Joe90 » May Sun 27, 2012 5:25 am

Amy wrote:I love how you guys disagree (lovingly I'm sure) on whether the cost of the drink is expensive :lol:
Yep :) We are on holiday. In Disneyworld. There isn't any arguing really. We will agree to disagree on the Butterbeer price issue.
Now where is the next part of the report? I did the pics DAYS ago :ccat:
(I might get in trouble for that :wink:
"We live in a society absolutely dependent on science and technology and yet have cleverly arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. " Carl Sagan

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » May Sun 27, 2012 10:52 am

Joe90 wrote:It is quite sweet but it isn't super sweet. Less sweet than a Dr Pepper (for example) It isn't sickly either.
It has been described as a cross between butterscotch and shortbread, I would also add some vanilla and nutmeg The foam topping is rich and creamy with popping bubbles. What more can I say..........you pretty much have to try it.

You get around (maybe a bit more) the same quantity as in a single soda can. For $8 thats quite expensive in my book.

Still worth it though :)
:shock: I would have to be in a very rich mood to spend that much money on a drink. Although I had roommates who figured out how to make it from scratch.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » May Sun 27, 2012 11:02 am

$8 for 12 oz? That's $0.67 per ounce. Compare to Coke or Pepsi, 20 oz at a gas station, $1.79 (or, rounded off to $2, comes to $0.10 per ounce). It's pretty expensive, indeed! My daughter just chimed from the other room, "It's BUTTER BEER!" As if to say, duh, mom, it's worth it. :-) I like Harry Potter, but not sure I love it that much.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Sun 27, 2012 11:22 am

cy1229 wrote:$8 for 12 oz? That's $0.67 per ounce. Compare to Coke or Pepsi, 20 oz at a gas station, $1.79 (or, rounded off to $2, comes to $0.10 per ounce). It's pretty expensive, indeed! My daughter just chimed from the other room, "It's BUTTER BEER!" As if to say, duh, mom, it's worth it. :-) I like Harry Potter, but not sure I love it that much.
Ehh, everything in the theme parks is inflated. I think there are cheaper refills if you buy a mug though right? I wonder if they would let you try a small sample before you bought a whole one?

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » May Mon 28, 2012 10:25 am

Amy wrote:
cy1229 wrote:$8 for 12 oz? That's $0.67 per ounce. Compare to Coke or Pepsi, 20 oz at a gas station, $1.79 (or, rounded off to $2, comes to $0.10 per ounce). It's pretty expensive, indeed! My daughter just chimed from the other room, "It's BUTTER BEER!" As if to say, duh, mom, it's worth it. :-) I like Harry Potter, but not sure I love it that much.
Ehh, everything in the theme parks is inflated. I think there are cheaper refills if you buy a mug though right? I wonder if they would let you try a small sample before you bought a whole one?
True. WDW is the only place I would consider spending as much as we do without batting an eyelash. :D
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Sleepy90

Post by Sleepy90 » May Tue 29, 2012 4:27 pm

I am back, computer has been acting up for a couple of days but it is working again so on we go.

After all the excitement of new things yesterday we decide to have a slow quiet day and so after breakfast in the room we head towards Busch Gardens, :lol: no only joking Animal Kingdom here we come.
I love this park it is so peaceful and as long as your not standing right beside everest it is quiet. On entering the park we wander slowly around the trails and across the bridge and head towards Africa. We collect fastpasses for the safari and head into the African trail the animals are being really kind today probably because the sun is shining and it is hot. We enter the bird enclosure and stop a while to watch the pretty birds here is a couple of shots from there.

Those little yellow ones kept pinching nesting from each others nests, I wonder if they every got them finished enough to use. We spend a fair bit of time wandering through the rest of the trail and then it was time for our safari.

Would the animals be as lively as they had been on the trail?
YES we had a wonderful time on the safari and here are some of the animals we saw.
The very pink (dare we say you have been out in the sun to long) Hippo.

The band of Baboons with the little one who seems to have annoyed someone and been bitten for it.

A family of Elephants.

And the Queen of the Jungle Miss Lioness herself.

After the safari we head over to the Flame Tree Barbecue for a spot of lunch. While there we talk to a young couple at the next table who are on their first trip to Disney. It is great to see how excited they are and hear how much they are enjoying their trip.
Flights of Wonder is our next stop, there is a young guy playing on his Iphone in front of us before the show starts. OOOPS his phone has disappeared under the seating. The show is as good as always the jokes are corny but so what. As we head out we see the young lad speaking to the cast about retrieving the phone from under the seating, hope it wasn't to badly damaged.

From here we wander into the Asian Trail and yet again the animals are being very kind to us.
We ask these guys if they would fancy a few cockroaches but I guess you can tell by their faces they are not to happy about that.
Wot no fruit.

Blea!

We enter the other bird enclosure and take a few more pictures,all the birds are being very cooperative today.

Do these little guys remind you of anything?

This is what they reminded us of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ4Nnr0MXKY

On the way out we get a picture of the monkeys.

Down at the crossroads Joe sees an unusual view of everest.

We make our way over to the middle of the park and go to It's tough to be a bug, by then as it is late in the afternoon we decide to leave and head over to Magic Kingdom for some dinner and the evening.
Yes we have been in Animal Kingdom all day and not rode Everest, maybe another day.
We head to Cosmic Rays for some chow and of course to watch Sonny put on his show. Tikki Room is next and then Haunted Mansion, back to the front to watch Wishes and then do the Disney Shuffle out of the park with the masses.

Sorry no pictures of the evening.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Tue 29, 2012 9:35 pm

Oh my goodness Sleepy ~ your pictures from your day at the AK are AMAZING!!! I love all the birds. And the tiger with his tongue hanging out is cute, but no match for the bat doing the same! :D Wonderful shots!! That's funny that the little weaver birds steal from the others to make their nests. It does make you wonder if they will ever finish doesn't it?! :lol:

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » May Wed 30, 2012 8:05 am

I love the picture of the bat!! Too funny with its tongue out like that.

Sleepy90

Post by Sleepy90 » May Wed 30, 2012 2:36 pm

All the pictures are taken by Joe he is very happy with a camera in his hand. He is very critical of his pictures though and is not to happy about some of the ones that I have asked for to put in the report.
As long as he keeps resizing the ones that I want then I will be a happy bunny.

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » May Thu 31, 2012 8:39 am

They all look fab so far! I love the quality of the camera he uses.