Disneyland Paris is [not] falling apart....

Discussion of Non-U.S. Disney Parks

Moderator: Moderators

jrobin34
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Disneyland Paris is [not] falling apart....

Post by jrobin34 » Sep Sun 28, 2014 6:25 pm

Hey Everyone!

I am new to the forum and just visited to Disneyland Paris for the first time this July. One of my biggest complaints about Disneyland Paris was the very visible maintenance issues. I figured since I had only been there once and for a day, I figured it shouldn't be fair to judge to hard. Maybe I caught DLRP on a bad day... in the middle of July on a Saturday. Ok, that would never happen in the US parks but I am hopeful that this was a fluke.

However, doing some serious research for the past month, I have been shocked to find that DLP has not only struggled with maintenance for years but the situation is getting worse.
And seeing this link posted....

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2014/ ... -from.html

.....this was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. No other Disney park in the world (not even the one not owned by Disney even partly - Tokyo) would even come close to this condition.
For anyone from the company looking at this... THIS NEEDS TO CHANGE NOW! This is sad and embarrassing for TWDC and the people of Europe should see a Disney park that is on par with every other park in the world. DLRP is without a doubt one of the most beautifully designed destinations WDI has ever designed period and it deserves much better then this. I still can not get over how dazzling beautiful the park was when I saw it and want to go back very soon.

There is hope for DLRP! I have faith that after the 20th Anniversary, TWDC saw the condition the park is in and will save it. One of my friends in the company has told me that refurbishments WILL happen but it needs to happen on a major scale.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Disneyland Paris is falling apart....

Post by Amy » Sep Sun 28, 2014 7:24 pm

That is too bad that they aren't doing the refurbishments in DLP on a timely basis. Hopefully they will soon!

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Disneyland Paris is falling apart....

Post by horizons1 » Sep Mon 29, 2014 3:57 pm

That is sad. I remember last year when I was there I thought things looked pretty good. Of course, that was at the tail end of the 20th celebration so they probably cleaned up as much as they could for the anniversary. Obviously, they swept a lot of things under the rug.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

acp
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Location: Formerly Disney-MGM Studios, now Cheshire, England.

Re: Disneyland Paris is [not] falling apart....

Post by acp » Sep Mon 29, 2014 5:16 pm

Sigh. Here we go again.
jrobin34 wrote:I am new to the forum and just visited to Disneyland Paris for the first time this July. One of my biggest complaints about Disneyland Paris was the very visible maintenance issues. I figured since I had only been there once and for a day, I figured it shouldn't be fair to judge to hard. Maybe I caught DLRP on a bad day... in the middle of July on a Saturday. Ok, that would never happen in the US parks but I am hopeful that this was a fluke.

However, doing some serious research for the past month, I have been shocked to find that DLP has not only struggled with maintenance for years but the situation is getting worse.
No.

It isn't getting worse at all. It's been getting better over the years. Much better. Even the tiniest bit of actual research would tell you that.
And seeing this link posted....

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2014/ ... -from.html

.....this was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. No other Disney park in the world (not even the one not owned by Disney even partly - Tokyo) would even come close to this condition.
Ahh, that's where we're going with this. Sigh.

The guy who runs that site has a habit of spreading lots of fear, uncertainty and doubt (FUD). I lost pretty much all respect for that guy after his utterly stupid article about Tokyo Disney Resort after the earthquake in Japan in 2011. I'd take anything he writes with a pinchbucket of salt. He likes writing clickbait and making things up to fit his narrative.

If that's the game you want to play, let's look at the current state of River Country and take that to mean that WDW is literally falling apart. It's exactly the same thing that people are trying to make out of DLP based on a few pictures of the Mark Twain.
For anyone from the company looking at this... THIS NEEDS TO CHANGE NOW! This is sad and embarrassing for TWDC and the people of Europe should see a Disney park that is on par with every other park in the world. DLRP is without a doubt one of the most beautifully designed destinations WDI has ever designed period and it deserves much better then this. I still can not get over how dazzling beautiful the park was when I saw it and want to go back very soon.
The article focuses on one thing. The riverboats. Yes, the Mark Twain isn't in the best of conditions. That's why it's been in the backstage dry dock for several years. A few years ago, the Molly Brown went through a major refurb and is in a great condition now. I'm sure the Mark Twain will eventually get the much needed refurb, but it has to wait for the budget and time to be there - There's more important things to do right now.

The amount of refurbishment that's gone on in DLP as a whole over the last few years is actually quite astonishing. Not everything is going to get done at once. Some things have to wait. The Mark Twain is one of them. There are more important things than having two riverboats - specially when one is enough to handle the crowds.
There is hope for DLRP! I have faith that after the 20th Anniversary, TWDC saw the condition the park is in and will save it. One of my friends in the company has told me that refurbishments WILL happen but it needs to happen on a major scale.
And it is happening. The resort's in a MUCH better state than it has been. No, it's not perfect. Yes, it will take a while. It's not like they're doing nothing about it, regardless of what you read on the Internet or your "friends in the company" (don't even get me started on that one..) tell you.

Want some examples of how much refurbishment work is going on at DLP? Follow http://twitter.com/insidedlparis - they post pictures of things that've been fixed, updated or otherwise refurbished or new every day.

It's happening, but don't expect miracles.
Amy wrote:That is too bad that they aren't doing the refurbishments in DLP on a timely basis. Hopefully they will soon!
They are, but again, not everything can be done at once. As I said, it takes time, and there's more important things than having two boats on the river. It just happens that they needed the dry dock for the regular refurbishment of the other boat and this one happens to now be visible, giving people something to complain about.
horizons1 wrote:That is sad. I remember last year when I was there I thought things looked pretty good. Of course, that was at the tail end of the 20th celebration so they probably cleaned up as much as they could for the anniversary. Obviously, they swept a lot of things under the rug.
They're doing stuff. People just like to focus on and complain about the (relatively few) negative aspects and conveniently ignore the positives. Try looking at the whole picture, not a very narrow-sighted look at a single attraction in the corner of the park and you'll see that it's nowhere near as depressingly bad as people on the internet try to make it out to be.

I could go on, but honestly, I'm tired and want to go to bed now.

For what it's worth, I rate DLP as the best of the DL-style parks (Yes, higher than Tokyo Disneyland, although still second to Tokyo DisneySea overall*).

Andy. </rant>

(* My order of Disney Parks that I've been to by ranking: TDS, DLP, TDL, MK, EP, DHS, DAK, WDSP.)
Subsonic Radio Admin and former Walt Disney World Cast Member

Subsonic Radio Player for Windows (Latest version: 1.8.5 - More info)

Disneyland Paris: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Walt Disney World: 2006, 2010, 2011, 2015, 2019
Tokyo Disney Resort: 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
Hong Kong Disneyland: 2016, 2017
Shanghai Disneyland: 2018

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Disneyland Paris is [not] falling apart....

Post by Amy » Sep Mon 29, 2014 7:33 pm

Thanks for a different perspective acp ~ I have to admit I didn't do any further research than clicking through the link that was given. When I was at the Paris parks in 2003 I thought they were quite beautiful and really enjoyed my time there. I would have to give a slight edge to TDL simply because of Pooh's Hunny hunt, but that is just because my face was like this :shock: (in a good way) for the whole time when I experienced the attraction for the first time!