Hotel choices in France, Japan, Hong Kong?

Discussion of Non-U.S. Disney Parks

Moderator: Moderators

UncleScrooge477
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Hotel choices in France, Japan, Hong Kong?

Post by UncleScrooge477 » Jun Tue 24, 2014 11:20 am

As per a previous thread, we're working on a future trip to all the international locations.

Does anyone have any experiences, recommendations, thoughts, about any of the specific lodging choices in Hong Kong Disneyland, Disneyland Paris, or the Tokyo Disney Resort?

Thanks!

:ccat:
UncleScrooge477

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Hotel choices in France, Japan, Hong Kong?

Post by Amy » Jun Tue 24, 2014 4:04 pm

I will have to find my travel journal for specifics, but I know I stayed at the resort for both DLP and TDL. The rest of my trip was hostels for the most part, and a tent in Australia, so I could afford to splurge a bit on the park accommodations ;) I know I did not stay in the top tier hotels at either of the parks though.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Tue 24, 2014 5:55 pm

Are you asking about on property, in city, or something in between?

With DLRP, one nice part is that the trains to the city are on property. You could stay at the Disneyland Hotel for DLRP, it's nice. I actually stayed at the Sequoia and my room was on the top floor with a balcony view of the area. It was quite nice as well.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Tue 24, 2014 6:59 pm

I stayed at the Sequoia at DLP as well. It was quite nice and a very big room. At TDL/TDS I stayed at the Disney Ambassador Hotel. Not as spacious as DLP, but quite a large room in comparison to other Japanese hotels. And it included a monorail pass for the parks which saved a little bit of money.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Tue 24, 2014 8:25 pm

Not that it is at all relevant to your Europe leg of the trip but the Eurostar runs from DLRP to London (Waterloo station) as well, so if you were so inclined, you could fly to CDG, take the shuttle or whatever they have to DLRP, then when you were done take rail to London (joining the mile deep club is easier than mile high) and have fun there as well, then fly out of Heathrow.

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Jun Wed 25, 2014 10:54 am

I have three resort reviews for you to consider:

DLP Hotel Cheyenne
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8691

DLP Hotel Santa Fe
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8819

HKDL Hollywood Hotel
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9657

In Paris, I think next time I would bump myself up to one of the premium resorts. The value resorts are really lower-end. By contrast, the Hollywood Hotel was probably the equivalent to a WDW moderate. I would be happy to stay there again.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

UncleScrooge477

Post by UncleScrooge477 » Jun Wed 25, 2014 3:49 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Are you asking about on property, in city, or something in between?

With DLRP, one nice part is that the trains to the city are on property. You could stay at the Disneyland Hotel for DLRP, it's nice. I actually stayed at the Sequoia and my room was on the top floor with a balcony view of the area. It was quite nice as well.
On property, please. Or in the case of Tokyo, the immediate neighbor resorts.

And is it worth it for the premium-type hotels and/or rooms, in order to get special FastPasses or anything???

Thanks!
UncleScrooge477

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Wed 25, 2014 8:33 pm

Not that I recall, nor has the policy updated. The biggest benefit to the premium hotels (in general) is that they can also be the ones nearest to the resorts.

If this is going to be a super special trip I might suggest this be a flagship hotel trip since you might as well take the best each has to offer.

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Jun Thu 26, 2014 12:35 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Not that I recall, nor has the policy updated. The biggest benefit to the premium hotels (in general) is that they can also be the ones nearest to the resorts.

If this is going to be a super special trip I might suggest this be a flagship hotel trip since you might as well take the best each has to offer.
I like that suggestion, Wizz. I did notice, however, that the Disneyland Paris Hotel had a significant premium over even the next highest priced resort. If money is no object, of course...
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Thu 26, 2014 5:03 pm

People do rave about that hotel, one extra perk is that (if I recall) it has a special entrance in. If you also own a share of the stock, there is a lounge you get access too that also gets to use the gate (you don't need to be a hotel guest for it).

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Thu 26, 2014 6:36 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:People do rave about that hotel, one extra perk is that (if I recall) it has a special entrance in. If you also own a share of the stock, there is a lounge you get access too that also gets to use the gate (you don't need to be a hotel guest for it).
:shock: Really, the stockholders can use the gate too? I didn't know that when I was there ~ not that it was all that busy ~ but that would have been neat to know!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Thu 26, 2014 9:07 pm

Apparently, not a shareholder but a cheapskate brit (yes, I know that is a redundant phrase :D) was noting it.

UncleScrooge477

Post by UncleScrooge477 » Jul Tue 01, 2014 11:47 am

Thanks, folks. Good ideas and advice.

Money will be an issue, to some degree. We will economize when and where we can (eating peanut butter and oatmeal the next three years, for instance) but will maximize the hotel stays, depending upon what they offer (special entrances, views, pools, concierge levels, etc.). Since I expect to be in the parks from opening to closing, the room is not critical, but if there are special park privileges associated with resorts or room types, then we will investigate them from a cost/benefit aspect.
UncleScrooge477

aboden
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by aboden » Aug Thu 14, 2014 10:09 am

Unless you want to shell out the money to stay on property in HK just get a cheap hotel located around any of the islands. By their Metro Subway it's fast and easy to get to the park. I liked the theme rail car between the stop and Disney lol nothing big but I liked the touch.

Kowloon is at the end of the line pretty much, furthest you can get. I stayed there when I went back in 2011. I didn't/couldn't find any benefit in HK with staying on property, could be wrong it's been a long time. But it's just cost prohibitive for me to stay there. Also the hotel I stayed as was arranged by my company as a little vacation between jobs but of course I had to pay. Just make sure it's within walking distance to the metro-rail. Shouldn't be a problem as they are everywhere. If you can figure out NYC subway, theirs is easier to navigate lol.
"Please stand clear of the doors/Por favor mantengan se alejado de las puertas"

UncleScrooge477

Post by UncleScrooge477 » Sep Fri 26, 2014 3:43 pm

Thanks, everyone. Good thoughts. And aboden - I was in Siem Reap this summer. Great visit, but hot in June for some unknown reason...
UncleScrooge477