Iron Man Thrill Ride Coming to Hong Kong

Discussion of Non-U.S. Disney Parks

Moderator: Moderators

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Iron Man Thrill Ride Coming to Hong Kong

Post by Cardinals314 » Oct Tue 08, 2013 4:15 pm

Disney announced today that Disneyland Hong Kong will have an Iron Man-themed thrill ride, photo pavilion and shopping area. The ride is expected to open in late 2016 and will cost Disney $100 million to build. The link below is the article produced by the NY Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/08/busin ... .html?_r=0
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

kelpseaweedkelp
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Re: Iron Man Thrill Ride Coming to Hong Kong

Post by kelpseaweedkelp » Apr Wed 16, 2014 12:54 pm

Boy is that a lot of loose change! It made me curious as to what rides cost to build - for example, Mission Space? How much?

The most interesting sentence to me here was this:
"The Hong Kong government owns 52.44 percent of Hong Kong Disneyland, with Disney controlling the balance." Can you imagine the United States government owning over half of DisneyWorld?

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Wed 16, 2014 5:09 pm

Mission Space reportedly (though this may be closer to reality since there were lawsuits from the builders) cost $100M as well. Not all figures are based in reality, such as the claim that the magicbands changeover cost over a billion. That all started with an unverified claim from the Orlando Sentinel who then perpetuated it as truth.

If I recall, all the international parks have a heavy amount of government presence in the operations/ownership, partially because Disney most likely had to do it so they could get the massive space, permits fast-tracked, etc. and also because there is most likely some funds tied to the performance of the park itself (such as government pension plans).

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Wed 16, 2014 9:34 pm

kelpseaweedkelp wrote:Boy is that a lot of loose change! It made me curious as to what rides cost to build - for example, Mission Space? How much?

The most interesting sentence to me here was this:
"The Hong Kong government owns 52.44 percent of Hong Kong Disneyland, with Disney controlling the balance." Can you imagine the United States government owning over half of DisneyWorld?
Ugh, I can't even imagine if the government was involved in the parks :roll: I'll be nice and not speculate any further on that situation ;) :lol:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Wed 16, 2014 11:13 pm

Probably would have more money for attractions if they weren't running it as a commercially viable enterprise. :D

Isn't Shades of Green run by the feds?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Thu 17, 2014 7:57 am

Wizzard419 wrote:Probably would have more money for attractions if they weren't running it as a commercially viable enterprise. :D

Isn't Shades of Green run by the feds?
Whoops, forgot about Shades of Green. Yes, that is owned by the government, the DoD if my online research is accurate, but I don't think the more money for attractions argument would actually pan out. If the government overpays for things, like those supposed $100+ hammers, what would it cost to build an entire attraction?! :shock:

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Apr Thu 17, 2014 10:24 am

The government would cut back, not spend more. Let's face it, the only way to keep WDW growing is to accept the reality of regular price increases.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

kelpseaweedkelp

Post by kelpseaweedkelp » Apr Thu 17, 2014 12:17 pm

Jimmy Fallon recently did a joke that the cost of a 1 day EPCOT pass broke $100...so for a family of 5 it might be cheaper to go visit the countries themselves. Har.

I cognitively am OK with regular price increases bc I want the parks to all be the best they can and also when I start to think about operating and logistics costs, I have to stop thinking. Like contemplating distances in space...you just can't quite do it. I suppose that's why they have been advertising so hard in Brazil, Australia, Argentina, etc - lot of disposable income.

But, I do feel sad that the costs prohibit many people from ever experiencing the joy. It would be cool if there was like a scholarship or crowd-funded program that ppl could apply to.

Shades of Green! Yes that's right. Totally interesting.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Thu 17, 2014 2:31 pm

I'm not so sure they would cut back, when it comes to stuff like that (basically another pork project) they want to keep things going with jobs and having the money drive the local economy. They would probably also be faster to update stuff. :D

There are crowd funding sites (like GoFundMe) for people to beg for cash to do stuff like that.

aboden

Post by aboden » Aug Thu 14, 2014 10:11 am

Wasn't Disney HK not actually owned by Disney but a franchise? I thought so but probably wrong. It's not owned by the parent company. OF course I didn't read the article :-P
"Please stand clear of the doors/Por favor mantengan se alejado de las puertas"