Video of Mystic Manor

Discussion of Non-U.S. Disney Parks

Moderator: Moderators

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Video of Mystic Manor

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Sun 21, 2013 11:28 am

It looks like on ride video of the new ride is appearing online, check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEApcS_kVqM

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Video of Mystic Manor

Post by Amy » Apr Sun 21, 2013 4:22 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:It looks like on ride video of the new ride is appearing online, check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEApcS_kVqM
Interesting! So different from the US parks' version of the Haunted Mansion. It looked like they have elements of Indiana Jones and the Tiki Room in this attraction...
Anybody else think the little monkey looks a bit like Abu?
I love this kind of ride system as well!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Sun 21, 2013 4:45 pm

It also uses pieces of the adventurer's for decoration.

It is the projections that really sell it, AA figures were nice 30 years ago, but now that the format can be so much more sharp and precise, you can have effects like the Monkey King room.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Apr Sun 21, 2013 4:57 pm

I agree the projections are incredible part. I did like the singing knights' armors (reminded me of the busts from the HM). And, Amy, I agree the monkey does remind me a lot of Abu. Maybe that was their intention?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Sun 21, 2013 6:01 pm

Possibly, at the same time abu was probably based off of various other depictions of monkeys in hats. :D Odds are there is the character model somewhere in the Thief and the Cobbler.

DisneySpin
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by DisneySpin » Apr Mon 22, 2013 3:03 am

Hmmm...interesting. Visually it's very nice, but I have reservations about the story. It almost feels more like Journey into Imagination to me, numerous set pieces that are thinly linked together. Weird jumps from Pompeii to medievel arms and armor to Monkey King. Maybe when you're actually going through the attraction the continuity is better. I'm keeping my fav as Phantom Manor. We do need a first person report though.
We're all mad here, I'm mad, you're mad."

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Mon 22, 2013 6:27 am

DisneySpin wrote:Hmmm...interesting. Visually it's very nice, but I have reservations about the story. It almost feels more like Journey into Imagination to me, numerous set pieces that are thinly linked together. Weird jumps from Pompeii to medievel arms and armor to Monkey King. Maybe when you're actually going through the attraction the continuity is better. I'm keeping my fav as Phantom Manor. We do need a first person report though.
I would love to go to Hong Kong DL! I have to agree with you on the story line, but I imagine it does fit together better in person...and it was supposed to be sort of dream-like and magical.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Apr Mon 22, 2013 9:13 am

DisneySpin wrote:Hmmm...interesting. Visually it's very nice, but I have reservations about the story. It almost feels more like Journey into Imagination to me, numerous set pieces that are thinly linked together. Weird jumps from Pompeii to medievel arms and armor to Monkey King. Maybe when you're actually going through the attraction the continuity is better. I'm keeping my fav as Phantom Manor. We do need a first person report though.
Actually, you're missing inthe video the back story. Do you remember the stereotyped Brit AA at the beginning/end? He's a collector of rare objects from all over the world. You're going on a tour of his collection, but his monkey Albert causes mischief by opening an enchanted music box, which appears to have the power to bring all the objects in his collection to life (much like the movie "The Night at the Museum"). It would have been nice if we could have gotten video of the ride before being seated in the ride vehicle.

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Apr Mon 22, 2013 10:38 am

wow...that looks incredible!

The way they use video/projections is amazing and looks like it is done perfectly.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

acp
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Location: Formerly Disney-MGM Studios, now Cheshire, England.

Post by acp » Apr Mon 22, 2013 12:16 pm

Looks like a very well done attraction. Is it me, or between this, Dreams in Paris (and likely the upcoming Ratatouille attraction, which I believe uses the same ride system as Mystic Manor (and Pooh's Hunny Hunt in Tokyo)), and Tokyo's.. everything... are the non-US resorts kind of showing the US resorts "how it's done" a lot these days? :lol:

Slightly annoyingly, I actually considered adding a day at HKDL "on the way" to Tokyo to my trip and decided against it before I booked everything... Knew I should have gone ahead with that idea. :roll: Oh well, excuse for another Asia trip in the future ;)
Subsonic Radio Admin and former Walt Disney World Cast Member

Subsonic Radio Player for Windows (Latest version: 1.8.5 - More info)

Disneyland Paris: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Walt Disney World: 2006, 2010, 2011, 2015, 2019
Tokyo Disney Resort: 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
Hong Kong Disneyland: 2016, 2017
Shanghai Disneyland: 2018

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Apr Mon 22, 2013 1:01 pm

For those of you who would like to see the pre-ride opening that sets up the ride, the following youtube video includes that part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PARisuRu-Y

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Mon 22, 2013 1:20 pm

mindflipper wrote:For those of you who would like to see the pre-ride opening that sets up the ride, the following youtube video includes that part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PARisuRu-Y
Yes, that helps explain the attraction a bit better ~ looks awesome!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Mon 22, 2013 1:38 pm

mindflipper wrote:
Actually, you're missing inthe video the back story. Do you remember the stereotyped Brit AA at the beginning/end? He's a collector of rare objects from all over the world. You're going on a tour of his collection, but his monkey Albert causes mischief by opening an enchanted music box, which appears to have the power to bring all the objects in his collection to life (much like the movie "The Night at the Museum"). It would have been nice if we could have gotten video of the ride before being seated in the ride vehicle.
Indeed, the human character is basically the non d*ckish version of Hightower from TDS's tower of terror. Both go around the world to gather items to fill their home/museum but the big difference is that Hightower stole his artifacts.

This ride is also why I think the little mermaid ride that was built twice in the US is such a terrible ride, no effort was put into it, bad storyline, and it suffers from the problem of telling the story at you rather than telling it to you/placing you in it.

I am Sulley
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by I am Sulley » Apr Mon 22, 2013 3:15 pm

Certainly looks like a cool ride.
There would seem to be potential for some sensory effects too e.g. cold, heat, wind etc. Does anyone know if they have done this :?: That would make even better :)

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Mon 22, 2013 3:28 pm

According to the documentation, they do have temperature effects as well as wind effects for the various events in the ride.