Disneyland Down Under?

Discussion of Non-U.S. Disney Parks

Moderator: Moderators

G2-4T
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Disneyland Down Under?

Post by G2-4T » Jun Thu 23, 2005 9:31 pm

Word is that Disney may arrive in Oz - Queensland is in talks with the Disney parks folks according to papers down there about making a park and resort. Something to watch, would be neat but hopefully they'll get HK DL done first!
Please Stand Clear of the Doors
Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas

[url=http://peopleforthepeoplemover.org][img]http://www.tc.umn.edu/~rrclubum/peoplemover.gif[/img][/url]

See it today! [url=http://backsideofwater.blogspot.com/]The Backside of Water[/url]

spaulo
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by spaulo » Jun Fri 24, 2005 1:54 pm

If it's true, then hopefully there will be a partnership like with OLC in Tokyo... Disney has been doing all its own newest parks (DCA, WDSP, HKDL) on the cheap and they're less than thrilling... OLC's Tokyo DisneySea, on the other hand.... droooool...
~Steve

JWKarlsen
King Arthur Carousel Horseman
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Post by JWKarlsen » Oct Wed 12, 2005 8:07 am

i think the problem disney has nowadays is the lacking money. as soon as they get back to the successful track and make big profits they'll surely extend the existing disney parks and consider further investments. also they need to evaluate the success of the new locations. if you make too big investments before you know if people even visit the park, this money could be lost. and that's too great a risk in todays economy.

greets from switzerland

ezekielsgirl13
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by ezekielsgirl13 » Oct Sun 16, 2005 5:11 pm

I would love to see a park in Australia...it would give me another reason to visit! =)

Sarah Turp
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by Sarah Turp » Jan Fri 20, 2006 6:37 am

I think it would be great! It would be the perfect holiday for me. Lots of great local landmarks and sightseeing, some amazing diving and a Disney park! It even has the bonus of speaking a proper language which i find the most annoying thing about some disney parks,(esp.DLP)
I really hope it goes ahead.
If anyone hears anymore about it make sure you let me know! :D

Goofyisme
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by Goofyisme » Jul Sat 29, 2006 7:33 pm

"North American markets are our biggest markets, but other than that, Australia is right on top."

"I think we'll continue to focus on the markets that are productive for us and obviously Australia fits in that category for us, and then we'll continue to get our word out.

"For those who are in the travel business we are a very good partner to be with because we are a relatively easy sell, so the travel partners that we have, particularly in Australia have been very effective for us."

But despite the popularity of the brand in markets like Australia and New Zealand, Mr Ouimet cannot see a time where there would be a Disney-theme park on every continent.

"No I wouldn't think it would be an immediate thing," he said.

"(But we do) have a group that continues to study where we belong internationally and what the products should look like internationally."

~www.theage.com.au
~Goofyisme~

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Jul Sat 29, 2006 7:45 pm

I have thought for years that there should be a Disney down under. It always seem to be a perfect match. Lets face it, the Eisner parks have been cardboard cut outs of a real Disney park!! Maybe with a parthnership such as TDL & DS in Japan and the Pixar blood, they can keep the bean counters from making creative decisions. All the corner cuting does is cost them big time in the future when they realise people arent coming through the gate and thay have to pay twice as much to fix it!!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Goofyisme

Post by Goofyisme » Jul Sat 29, 2006 8:20 pm

Funny you should say that - my daughter pointed out that most of the new rides/updates seem to be based on Pixar films. I wonder if it has to do with the poor performance of films like "Chicken Little."

Man, I already miss the classic 2-D animation.

I know, I know...off-topic. :D
~Goofyisme~

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Jul Sat 29, 2006 8:30 pm

Man, I already miss the classic 2-D animation.

I know, I know...off-topic.
It bad that Eisner shut down the animation department to the point that they had to contract out the animation for the stitch rehab of alien encounter! Eisner hated Disney and was using a scorched earth mentality!! I pray that with creative people back in charge, Disney can capture some of it's old glory!!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Goofyisme

Post by Goofyisme » Jul Sat 29, 2006 8:31 pm

I hear you! Let's keep those fingres crossed.
~Goofyisme~

dimagineer
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Post by dimagineer » Jun Thu 07, 2007 2:15 pm

JWKarlsen wrote:i think the problem disney has nowadays is the lacking money. as soon as they get back to the successful track and make big profits they'll surely extend the existing disney parks and consider further investments. also they need to evaluate the success of the new locations. if you make too big investments before you know if people even visit the park, this money could be lost. and that's too great a risk in todays economy.

greets from switzerland

I do not think it is a matter of funds, especially after the sell of ABC radio, "retaining $1.35 billion in cash."

netslave

Post by netslave » Jun Mon 25, 2007 9:40 am

As much as I'd love an excuse to pay for an Australia trip, I don't want Disney wasting time and money on a park there. I haven't yet justified the cost of a trip to France or Japan just to go to Disneyland there, so in reality, I'd never be able to justify the cost of an Australian trip.

Why not build more capacity to the existing North American parks? I understand that DL is pretty much not open for new development, but WDW sure could use a 5th park. Even the off season is packed and they have more guests staying on property than ever. Or if not a 5th park, why not a whole new resort located in Central Texas? It would give more Americans who live in the central US a better chance to go to a Disney park.

Maybe I'm just being selfish, but I'd rather see more investment in new developments in North America than the rest of the world.

ldzny
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by ldzny » Jun Mon 25, 2007 10:12 am

There are not enough people in Australia to warrant a theme park. There are a lot more people in California than all of Australia...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You hurt your what?" ~ Tow Mater
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JWG
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by JWG » Jun Mon 25, 2007 11:06 am

Australia is just, as has already been said, too small. Those people who do vacation there, certainly don't do so for a theme park. Heck, I go to Animal Kingdom to feel like I am getting to go to Africa or Australia on a safari, prairie trip.

If I were going to Australia, it would be to see the great open spaces of Australia. I don't thinkt he park would be profitable unless it was smaller and themed for the locals as an AP opportunity for entertainment.
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/HeathenAngel/Avatars%20Etc/epcot-fan.gif[/img][/url][url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w251/budz211/horizons.gif[/img][/url]
[img]http://www.disneypedia.org/_i/banners/bar/space-mountain2.gif[/img][img]http://www.disneypedia.org/_i/banners/bar/SR_fan.gif[/img]

ldzny

Post by ldzny » Jun Mon 25, 2007 11:09 am

JWG wrote:Australia is just, as has already been said, too small. Those people who do vacation there, certainly don't do so for a theme park. Heck, I go to Animal Kingdom to feel like I am getting to go to Africa or Australia on a safari, prairie trip.

If I were going to Australia, it would be to see the great open spaces of Australia. I don't thinkt he park would be profitable unless it was smaller and themed for the locals as an AP opportunity for entertainment.
That is true too. Go to the great barrier reef and live the finding Nemo ride!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You hurt your what?" ~ Tow Mater
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~