Disney Paris - Can you see it all in one day?

Discussion of Non-U.S. Disney Parks

Moderator: Moderators

momeja
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Disney Paris - Can you see it all in one day?

Post by momeja » Mar Sat 24, 2012 1:59 pm

Just curious if anyone who's been could give me tips for visiting DLP. We're going to Europe this summer for research for a book Howard is writing. We'd really like to go to DLP, but we can't afford to spend the night since all the Disney hotels sleep 4, not 5, so we're thinking of one big fun day there with parkhoppers and VIP FPs.

Can it be done? :ccat:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Disney Paris - Can you see it all in one day?

Post by Amy » Mar Sat 24, 2012 4:14 pm

Not sure about the VIP FPs, but I would give each park their own separate day. Especially in the summer, I would think the queues might be a bit long. The parks are more compact though ~ more on the lines of DL in California, so you can get around the parks more quickly.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Sat 24, 2012 6:24 pm

It depends when you go, if it's pre-bastile day then yeah, it can be done. You might leave a few things off the table (such as repeats of rides from the US parks) but it can be done.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Sat 24, 2012 7:49 pm

I agree, but some rides are not necessarily repeats of the US. You can skip the train, the riverboat, and stuff like that. Peter Pan and some others are identical. But BTMRR is NOT the same, and neither is Space Mtn (or Mont de l'Espcace). And Phantom Manor is worth the ride even if it's their version of the HM.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Mar Sun 25, 2012 10:15 am

Plus their Studios park has the Toy Story land that looks pretty cool (and there will be another one opening in Hong Kong soon, if not already open). Unfortunately, I cannot give you any tips, as DLP is still sitting on my "to-do" list...but I hope you will be able to pull it off. :D

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Sun 25, 2012 11:18 am

Most of the the version of the rides they have are replicas of the DLR ones, you can skip Buzz, Eo (I think they have it running) Star Tours (It is still the old version), I think most of the dark rides in fantasy land are exact replicas. The storybook land is nice, but not critical (it is unmaned) and their Casey Jr is more roller coaster than DLR's. Autopia can be skipped since it's nothing special, you can also skip Tower of Terror since the CA version is a direct copy of the French one but they took longer to open theirs. :D

The studio tour is optional as well since there isn't much to see, Lights Motor Action is the same as at WDW but with Renault cars and french and english dialouge.

There are also a lot of walking attractions, they can all be done swiftly or skipped. Tons of people go to the dungeon/caves of the castle to see the dragon, but there isn't much going on there.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Sun 25, 2012 11:45 am

Star Tours at DLP is still the old version. I have not heard when they will update it at DLP or TDL.

Also, remember that starting in April 2012 Disneyland Paris will begin celebrating the 20th Annniversary. They will have a new day-time parade and a new fireworks show that will involve image projections similiar to DLR's 50th. DLP still has, I believe, the Fantillusion parade at night (DLP inherited the TDL's 2nd electrical parade when it got replaced in TDL with Electrical Parade Dreamlights). The electrical parade is seasonal, so you will need to check the website as to when it will be running.

momeja

Post by momeja » Mar Sun 25, 2012 3:52 pm

mindflipper wrote:Star Tours at DLP is still the old version. I have not heard when they will update it at DLP or TDL.

Also, remember that starting in April 2012 Disneyland Paris will begin celebrating the 20th Annniversary. They will have a new day-time parade and a new fireworks show that will involve image projections similiar to DLR's 50th. DLP still has, I believe, the Fantillusion parade at night (DLP inherited the TDL's 2nd electrical parade when it got replaced in TDL with Electrical Parade Dreamlights). The electrical parade is seasonal, so you will need to check the website as to when it will be running.
Might be fun to see the old one again. :wink:

I'd read a bit about the 20th anniversary. I figure it means another mug for my collection (I can hear DH sigh in the background now :lol: ).

I'm really hoping for extended hours to do this all in one day. Even though the VIP FPs are free with a room, the cost of 2 rooms at DLP is a bit beyond our budget. Drat that 3rd child. :twisted: :lol:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Sun 25, 2012 4:04 pm

If you are there during the slow times then extended hours are totally not needed. That is how slow it gets there.

momeja

Post by momeja » Mar Sun 25, 2012 4:14 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:If you are there during the slow times then extended hours are totally not needed. That is how slow it gets there.
True. Unfortunately, we'll be there in mid-July, so I figure we'll need all the help we can get.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Sun 25, 2012 4:16 pm

Can you fudge on the amount of children in the room? I'm sure all of you would fit comfortably in one room. Or perhaps there is an option to pay a bit extra and have a roll away bed for the fifth person?

momeja

Post by momeja » Mar Sun 25, 2012 5:42 pm

Amy wrote:Can you fudge on the amount of children in the room? I'm sure all of you would fit comfortably in one room. Or perhaps there is an option to pay a bit extra and have a roll away bed for the fifth person?
Darn it, no. Like WDW itself, they're very strict, and no rollaways are provided. There are a few rooms at the Disneyland Hotel that fit 5, but they're crazy-priced.

We'll be staying in Paris, so we thought we'd wake up early, take the Metro to DLP and spend the entire day there, returning home late at night. Basically, a one day free for all.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Sun 25, 2012 7:09 pm

momeja wrote:
Amy wrote:Can you fudge on the amount of children in the room? I'm sure all of you would fit comfortably in one room. Or perhaps there is an option to pay a bit extra and have a roll away bed for the fifth person?
Darn it, no. Like WDW itself, they're very strict, and no rollaways are provided. There are a few rooms at the Disneyland Hotel that fit 5, but they're crazy-priced.

We'll be staying in Paris, so we thought we'd wake up early, take the Metro to DLP and spend the entire day there, returning home late at night. Basically, a one day free for all.
Hmm, that's too bad that they can't make a small accommodation like that. You'll find it is very easy to get from Paris to DLP via the metro. If you have time in your schedule, you could always return another day if you find you haven't seen all of the parks you would like at the end of your marathon Disney day! As I recall it only took around 30 minutes to travel from Paris to DLP, and the metro ran quite frequently so it seemed like there was always another train if you missed one. I loved the ease of getting around Paris on the metro. The only thing I regret about my visit to Paris was I never got a picture of the Eiffel tower at night when it was all lit up. So if you happen to get a pic of that and want to share, that would be fantastic :D

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Sun 25, 2012 8:06 pm

momeja wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:If you are there during the slow times then extended hours are totally not needed. That is how slow it gets there.
True. Unfortunately, we'll be there in mid-July, so I figure we'll need all the help we can get.
"Mid July" can be dead or packed, if you are there before the 14th it will be pretty slow, after, it will be busy.

momeja

Post by momeja » Mar Sun 25, 2012 10:16 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:
momeja wrote:
"Mid July" can be dead or packed, if you are there before the 14th it will be pretty slow, after, it will be busy.
Probably sometime the week of July 16. Maybe we'll slip in before the crowds?

Amy, I'll try to get a picture of the Eiffel Tower at night for you. :)