TDS Fantasmic

Discussion of Non-U.S. Disney Parks

Moderator: Moderators

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

TDS Fantasmic

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Thu 28, 2011 8:20 pm

Someone has posted a video of it, it's like World of Color had an affair with IllumiNations, got knocked up and then tried to play it off as Fantasmic's kid. :D It looks like it must be presented in a way similar to WoC, where they only focus on/play to a small area since the characters all face the same direction and whomever did the display work didn't think in 3D so the wrapping has seams during it's animation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uasTO906RBo

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: TDS Fantasmic

Post by Amy » Apr Thu 28, 2011 8:29 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Someone has posted a video of it, it's like World of Color had an affair with IllumiNations, got knocked up and then tried to play it off as Fantasmic's kid. :D It looks like it must be presented in a way similar to WoC, where they only focus on/play to a small area since the characters all face the same direction and whomever did the display work didn't think in 3D so the wrapping has seams during it's animation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uasTO906RBo
You beat me to it ~ I was just watching this. Yup, I would agree with what you said. The place where it is playing really does just have room for big crowds in the one direction though...
Gotta love hearing the Genie speaking Japanese :lol:
I have to say that when I saw the dragon rising up out of the mirror slowing descending it reminded me of a toilet seat :roll: :shock:

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Apr Thu 28, 2011 9:41 pm

I did like the giant mirror, and the inflatible globes used onto which they projected the genie. I was impressed, and wouldn't mind some of this to be mixed into the WDW DHS Fantasmic (really, does the DHS version need that long tribute to Pocahontas???)...

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Thu 28, 2011 9:49 pm

I liked the way they used the water to form wings for their dragon. The mirror itself was a good idea but it looked too dim/dark compared to the other stuff. That might have been due to the use of falling water rather than high pressure water sprays like they do in Fantasmic and World of Color.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Apr Thu 28, 2011 10:17 pm

I have to admit, I was surprised they didn't project more onto high pressure water sprays than they did...

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Thu 28, 2011 10:51 pm

I think the reason for that is there are no structures made for it, I think (like their other shows) it's all done on free-floating stuff.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » May Tue 03, 2011 7:48 pm

We watched it as well. My initial thought is...I'm sure it's awesome in person.
It didn't really wow us that much. I liked the floating Kaa, but that's because there is not physical stage present. Otherwise, I was rather underwhelmed by the dragon (though the wings were kinda cool). The hat effect was cool as well.
Wizz, I like your description about Fantasmic! through WoC and Illuminations! :lol: That was about what I was thinking the entire time, but hadn't quite put it in that manner...