Considering Tokyo trip - suggestions?

Discussion of Non-U.S. Disney Parks

Moderator: Moderators

noledawg
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Re: Considering Tokyo trip - suggestions?

Post by noledawg » Aug Sun 08, 2010 9:21 am

Hey Esmerelda - it's been too long since I visited the forums, so sorry for the delay. But I'll have a trip report for sure. When are you planning on going?
The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. -- St. Augustine

Esmeralda
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Esmeralda » Aug Sun 08, 2010 6:22 pm

^A trip report would be super exciting. I'm hoping to go in early May, just after Children's Day (May 5th).

A quick question. Were you able to use your American credit cards? Domo arigato!
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Sun 08, 2010 6:36 pm

Esmeralda, I used my credit cards while I was over in Japan. It has been about 6-1/2 years ago now so things might have changed but I assume they would still accept them.

noledawg

Post by noledawg » Aug Wed 11, 2010 12:18 pm

I used my American cards, not a problem at all. Though, on one of them I forgot to tell the bank in advance, so it didn't go through - security and all. The fun part of that, the clerk did not happen to speak English (many young people do, as I've seen elsewhere, especially Europe). But there is a translation book. He pointed to a set of phrases, the first of which was Japanese, and right below that was the English phrase, to the effect of "there is a problem with your card, would you mind waiting while we attempt to resolve it?" I gave a thumbs up, wondering why this wasn't working (and not yet realizing I forgot to tell Schwab that I would be overseas). After a few minutes - "There is still a problem. Do you have another card we may use?" Fortunately, my Disney Visa worked (I must have told them to authorize it), so we were ok. When we got back to our room - Disneyland Hotel by the way, the greatest hotel at any Disney Park I have visited - I called up Schwab, and they pretty quickly resolved it.

So yes, my American cards worked just fine. Though don't be surprised if it takes a while to post - the transactions did not clear my statement for a month, so I didn't even have to pay those charges for about 50 days from the trip :)

And yes, Tokyo DisneySea is unbelievable awesome! And while I love TOT at WDW, their version, with Shiriki Utundu, is just amazing. I sort of really wish we had that over here!

But the best ride might actually be Pooh's Hunny Hunt, in Fantasyland. OMG. Maybe you can find video of it online....
The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. -- St. Augustine

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Wed 11, 2010 1:05 pm

I think Pooh's Hunny Hunt is a-w-e-s-o-m-e!! :D :D :D

Esmeralda

Post by Esmeralda » Aug Thu 12, 2010 6:26 pm

That's a relief! I'll add it to my list to call the credit card companies before we leave. Off to collect some more questions and find video of Pooh's Hunny Hunt...

By the way,did you go anywhere besides Disney? We were considering a side trip to Kyoto in addition to seeing Tokyo.
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

noledawg

Post by noledawg » Aug Thu 12, 2010 7:19 pm

Coolness!

We flew out of LAX, on Singapore Air, into Tokyo, arriving on a Friday evening,having traveled backwards in time ;)

Saturday we did a day tour of Tokyo, visiting all the main haunts. Sunday was a day trip to see Mt Fuji (and not aware at the time that we would be that close to Fuji-Q Highland, but alas, I did not get to add an Asian rollercoaster to my collection).

Monday we went to TDR, and spent through Friday there, going back to Tokyo Friday evening and flying out Sunday evening.

So no, we stayed in and around Tokyo. Though I have had friends tell me that it is definitely worth the time to visit Kyoto and/or Osaka. Next time I guess!

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Aug Thu 12, 2010 7:34 pm

Amy wrote:I think Pooh's Hunny Hunt is a-w-e-s-o-m-e!! :D :D :D
ARGH!!Pooh's Hunny Hunt Please use this name as little as possible!! I had Baloo laughing really hard with things I can't write!!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Thu 12, 2010 8:26 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:
Amy wrote:I think Pooh's Hunny Hunt is a-w-e-s-o-m-e!! :D :D :D
ARGH!!Pooh's Hunny Hunt Please use this name as little as possible!! I had Baloo laughing really hard with things I can't write!!
I am confuzzled ~ when you tell me not to do things, you know it only makes me want to do them more :twisted: Bad Jacca! No lemon square!! :evil:

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Aug Thu 12, 2010 8:29 pm

No lemon square!! Ar man!! BOO!!!! (Insert Bronx cheer here!!)
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

feryache
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by feryache » Aug Tue 31, 2010 9:50 am

Well... I was there last January. I agree with one of the guys that said the metro system and trains are a great way to get there, but we all know that staying at a Disney Hotel has that extra magical thing we all love... that's your choice.
I was there in Christmas and New Year's season, it was way too busy and by noon all the fast passes were history.Consider that in case you want to enjoy the parks.
Tokyo Disneyland was great, but Tokyo Disney Sea, as I said in a previous post , is so far one of the best theme parks Disney ever built. I regretted I stayed just one day there... I wish I had two . I had to run like crazy to get in most of the attractions. The park is big enough like to end the day with you feet hurting and blistered... but it was worth every second of the pain:-)
My suggestion, give one day to Disneyland and two to TDS since you cannot park hopper between parks ( at least it was like this while I visited)
if you want also a great site about the TDR here it is:

http://www.tdrfan.com/

I wish you a magical experience there !!!!
Fernando

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Tue 31, 2010 10:05 am

Thanks for the website info. I'm going to check it out! I was also there in December but it wasn't very crowded at all. Of course the weather was also very rainy and chilly so that might have had something to do with the low attendance! The main attractions were still all very crowded...

noledawg

Post by noledawg » Sep Sun 12, 2010 9:09 am

You are allowed to park hop on day 3 and day 4 if you buy a 3 or 4 day ticket. we did day 1 at DL and day 2 at TDS, then hopped on 3 and 4

masterj345
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by masterj345 » Jan Sat 15, 2011 1:50 am

i was considering this trip too. the jules verne island looks awesome i wish they had a disneysea park in america so bad!
also, i would love a bunch of the stuff at disneyland paris as well.

masterj345

Post by masterj345 » Jan Tue 18, 2011 1:57 am

tokyo disneysea. crazy i wonder why they choose japan to be the site of this awesome place