Considering Tokyo trip - suggestions?

Discussion of Non-U.S. Disney Parks

Moderator: Moderators

noledawg
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Considering Tokyo trip - suggestions?

Post by noledawg » Sep Sun 27, 2009 8:30 am

Thinking about going to TDR in the spring, probably April/May. Has anyone ever been? I'd love some ideas about hotels and number of days.

My first thought is to go ahead and stay at one of the three onsite, since the rates don't appear to be THAT different at the official partner hotels, etc.

What about length of stay? 3 days? 4? Of course we're also looking at touring Tokyo in general, so the whole trip is probably about a week or so.

It's just 2 of us going.

Also any thoughts about food, merchandise, shows, etc. Transportation to/from airport, etc. Thanks forum!
The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. -- St. Augustine

aldo
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur

Post by aldo » Oct Thu 15, 2009 11:56 am

I went in April 2008. Did not go this past trip in 2009.

Keep in mind that Tokyo has the best metro system in the world (IMHO). You're about 15 minutes from Tokyo proper on a nice, clean, fast train that drops you off right in front of the park. Even from Shinjuku (west side of Tokyo), it's still only 30 minutes-ish. So if you find a good deal on a hotel in the city I would suggest staying there. Tokyo is expensive and you may save a good bit of cash.

Transportation to/from airport is obviously NARITA express (60 minutes on a bullet train). Normally this trip is around $35 one way, but I would suggest getting the deal for foreigners in terminal 1:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex/

It's basically a ticket for the narita express to get to Tokyo, but they'll give you an electronic SUICA card with $20 on it that you can use to ride the Tokyo Metro (and should cover a week's worth of trips). You can also use it at many vending machines. It's a pretty good deal.

Length of stay depends on you. You can cover most of the big stuff in Tokyo 1-3 days depending, but there are fantastic one day trips that are just as nice. I suggest Kamakura (lots of amazing templates and BIG BUDDHA/Enoshima nice train ride from the Kamakura) or Nikko (gorgeous little town).

For food, I only had one bad meal in Japan in 6 weeks of combined vacation the past two years, but do not miss the Tsujiki fish market and having a delicious, cheap sushi breakfast with probably the freshest sushi you could eat (caught the day before?)

You can see photos here: http://picasaweb.google.com/aldo37/Japan2008#

Let me know if you'd like to know anything else.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Oct Thu 15, 2009 4:19 pm

I've always have wanted to go to Tokyo and Tokyo Disneyland , but now after seeing your pictures. Lets say I'm gonna have to save so we can make it there! Thanks for the pictures!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

alsirrap
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by alsirrap » Jan Sat 09, 2010 3:23 am

For the last couple of years, I've heard many people fall in love with the 2nd place at TDL, called Disney's The Sea. Once someone's been there, it seems that's all they want to talk about.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Wed 03, 2010 10:04 pm

It has been awhile since I have been to Tokyo DL/DS so I can't give great details. That being said, you would definitely want at least 3-4 days to experience Disney. Don't miss Winnie the Pooh in DL, and Journey to the Center of the Earth in DS. Aquatopia was one of my absolute favorites in DS. Flavored popcorn is the snack to have over there, with so many weird and wonderful flavors if you are brave enough to try them.
Other than that there are so many beautiful parts of Tokyo to see. If you don't know Japanese yet, take the time to learn a few simple phrases as the Japanese people are so impressed if you are trying to speak their language. That helps break the ice a lot!

Esmeralda
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Esmeralda » Mar Thu 04, 2010 3:36 pm

My family is (hopefully!) looking at going to Tokyo over Thanksgiving 2011. Is this a good time of year to visit?
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Sat 06, 2010 1:03 am

That is pretty close to the time of year that I was there. I went the second week or so of December. It was a little on the chilly side and pretty rainy. DS was pretty empty due to the rainy weather or maybe it was just a good time of year. The Japanese do like to line up before the parks open so be prepared to wait in line. It is funny over there because they are very orderly when waiting for the park to open, with many people having blankets or mats to sit upon, but once the turnstiles open, they run like mad for their favorite attractions. Run fast alongside them or get out of their way!

noledawg

Post by noledawg » Mar Sun 21, 2010 8:47 am

Thanks for all the tips - we leave in a few weeks!
The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. -- St. Augustine

Akyriel
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by Akyriel » Mar Mon 22, 2010 10:42 pm

um... take me with you? hehe

kcookiebaker
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by kcookiebaker » Apr Fri 02, 2010 9:40 am

You are going to have the best time, and please, come back and share it all with us. I called a hotel for information in Tokyo once and the concierge was the most polite person...enjoy the cherry blossoms.

Esmeralda

Post by Esmeralda » Apr Tue 06, 2010 11:57 am

We'd love a full report when you return! Have a fabulous time and enjoy Disney at its best (or so I've heard!).

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Apr Tue 06, 2010 1:06 pm

Yes! Please share a trip report when you return! One day we'll make it there....

Esmeralda

Post by Esmeralda » Apr Fri 09, 2010 8:11 am

Does anyone know if Tokyo has a trip planning video like they've got for the US parks?

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Apr Fri 09, 2010 8:57 am

They didn't have any when I checked 1/2 years ago, but who knows if they have one now. You can check the website. Unlike Disneyland Paris, they do not have much of an international service. Their merchandising service (like DisneyEARS at DLR) does not sell/ship to people living in the USA - only Japan. It could be if they have a trip planning video its limited to Japan/Asia. Again, the best place to start is their website. They do have the option to view it in English.

Esmeralda

Re: Considering Tokyo trip - suggestions?

Post by Esmeralda » Jun Mon 07, 2010 7:51 am

noledawg, did you make it to Tokyo? We'd love a report!