Charging for Fast passes

Discussion of Non-U.S. Disney Parks

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Charging for Fast passes

Post by Amy » Jan Sun 15, 2012 8:45 am

Wizzard419 wrote:Don't make me whip out the youtube video from SNL...

The single rider is still there, and the signs are still there for it as well.

Also, since a disney park worker is innerchangable, the company doesn't really have to care what the workers think as long as it doesn't violate the law. They may not like having to say "Sorry, but your group will be broken up" but at the same time they are also banned from questioning if someone truly is a single rider.
You may show me the signs and video if you would like :D But the single rider line was most definitely not there the last time we went to DL ~ somewhere around 2005-ish :P

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Sun 15, 2012 9:31 pm

Oh I'll send you the youtube clip in PM since some of our members of a weaker disposition might clutch their pearls so hard that they need a fainting couch to soothe their feminine ways... :D

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Mon 16, 2012 7:55 am

Wizzard419 wrote:Oh I'll send you the youtube clip in PM since some of our members of a weaker disposition might clutch their pearls so hard that they need a fainting couch to soothe their feminine ways... :D
Probably a wise choice ~ I don't think the mods would have like it :shock: ;)

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jan Thu 19, 2012 11:24 am

Wizzard419 wrote:I know we keep saying how they are "Cheating" the system, but they aren't. The goal of the single rider lines are not to let people who are alone get through the lines faster but rather to send out full cars. They may not have too much of an issue with the groups doing it since it meets the goal.
That is exactly the idea of the single rider line. It's sole purpose is to ensure that all ride vehicles are full and thus increasing the numbers. Disney cares about occupancy numbers as they show both efficiency and performance of the attraction.

BTW: what was with that SNL skit. I remember it barely but can't think what episode it was from.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Jan Thu 19, 2012 9:15 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:I know we keep saying how they are "Cheating" the system, but they aren't. The goal of the single rider lines are not to let people who are alone get through the lines faster but rather to send out full cars. They may not have too much of an issue with the groups doing it since it meets the goal.
You're cheating the system if you aren't genuinely alone. A 20 person tour group is not alone. They're just lazy and inconsiderate.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Thu 19, 2012 11:21 pm

But, would the group be seated all at once, or would they only be used as empty spaces were found? It seems like it would be a benefit to the goal of sending out as many full cars as possible.

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Jan Fri 20, 2012 7:21 pm

You aren't sent out together in single rider no matter how much you beg. It's one at a time, even if there is one person or twenty. If one empty spot is found, one person goes. Then the next once available space pops up. And so on. Increasing the wait time for a large group exponentially.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Fri 20, 2012 8:43 pm

So, what you are saying, is that they are not "cheating" the system as it is impossible to do such since there is no gain? Also, since they are only pulled when there is vacant space, they are not delaying the enjoyment of riders in the standby and FP lines?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Fri 20, 2012 8:59 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:So, what you are saying, is that they are not "cheating" the system as it is impossible to do such since there is no gain? Also, since they are only pulled when there is vacant space, they are not delaying the enjoyment of riders in the standby and FP lines?
But if an even number of people are in the single rider line, when they could be in the standy-by line, yes, they would be not using the single rider line in the manner in which it was intended. For example, say you have an attraction where 6 people ride at once, like Test Track. A group of 24 people decides, hey, let's go in the single rider line so we can get through the line faster. If they would have been in the standy-by line, they would have gone as a group in 4 vehicles. But now that they are in the single rider line, in front of me ~ a single rider! ~ they will have to fill in the nooks and crannies created by the stand-by line. Yes, they are helping fill in the vehicles and sending them out full as intended, but they are backing up the single rider line for those of us who really are riding alone and don't want to stand forever and a day in the single rider line or stand-by line :evil:
Last edited by Amy on Jan Fri 20, 2012 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Fri 20, 2012 9:58 pm

Yes, but there is no expressed estimate of wait times for you single riding scum! But yeah, it's a hopper of people to fill in spaces, if you're lucky you will get through in a few mins if not you may have to wait 20 mins or so. Plus, you can leave at any time. :D

Speaking of, Boom!

Your hand engraved invite to "eat it" will arrive in a few days. :twisted:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Fri 20, 2012 10:07 pm

Whoo-hoo! I'm just glad the single rider line is back. I hope the hand engraved invite is half as tasty as the dishes that you post look like they would be ;) :P

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Jan Fri 20, 2012 10:09 pm

Amy wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:So, what you are saying, is that they are not "cheating" the system as it is impossible to do such since there is no gain? Also, since they are only pulled when there is vacant space, they are not delaying the enjoyment of riders in the standby and FP lines?
But if an even number of people are in the single rider line, when they could be in the standy-by line, yes, they would be not using the single rider line in the manner in which it was intended. For example, say you have an attraction where 6 people ride at once, like Test Track. A group of 24 people decides, hey, let's go in the single rider line so we can get through the line faster. If they would have been in the standy-by line, they would have gone as a group in 4 vehicles. But now that they are in the single rider line, in front of me ~ a single rider! ~ they will have to fill in the nooks and crannies created by the single rider line. Yes, they are helping fill in the vehicles and sending them out full as intended, but they are backing up the single rider line for those of us who really are riding alone and don't want to stand forever and a day in the single rider line or stand-by line :evil:
Perfect way to explain it. My thing, I wish Disney could fully staff the lines and literally question "Are you alone or not?" when it comes to it. It needs to be straight policy that all groups bigger than about two or three (two people who don't mind splitting, perhaps) HAVE to ride stand-by or FP, no exceptions. I hate being stuck behind a huge party in that line. I go through it BECAUSE I am alone. That's the point.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Fri 20, 2012 11:58 pm

But how does it impact the stand-by and fp line since they are filler? If they are going to have the line, they would much rather have a backlog of filler than only have it show up rarely.

You should know, seeing as you've been in their program twice now, you can never question a guest on something like that. You could bring a tour group to the single rider line and the most they will say is "please be aware that each person will be riding alone".

Speaking of single rider, I still have no idea if California Screamin' still does single rider, the signs are all faded and every time I am there it's not a busy time so I forget to check.

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Jan Sat 21, 2012 12:03 am

I know that, I just said it would be nice if it were possible... because the crap you put up with.... :shock: I was shocked the one CM at Rock 'n Roller Coaster let these two people on the ride who conveniently "lost" their Fastpasses. I think she was sick of them acting clueless and got rid of them in the end by letting them on. My bet was on that they were cutting in line, most likely, due to the 90 minute wait.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Sat 21, 2012 12:30 am

I wouldn't be too shocked at that, if you think about it in the grand scheme. The dirtiest word you could say in the service industry is "No" and the blowback for letting them through vs not was probably far less. If she had said no they could have then ranted to customer service (true or not) which would have gotten back to the manager, and would have gotten back to her.

What probably doesn't help either is that the FP system is quite stupid (in tech terms) they offer no real security or recognizable ownership (the only marker is that the ticket/pass number is printed on the bottom) and would be easy to spoof. The saving grace is that they do them on a custom medium that is custom made cardstock that would make spoofing it expensive and not worth the effort.