Big trouble in Hong Kong: Disney all but abandons Hong Kong

Discussion of Non-U.S. Disney Parks

Moderator: Moderators

Clusty
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Clusty » Jul Sun 26, 2009 9:44 am

metsofny wrote:Well if we all go to walmart, Disney Hong Kong should see new life.
Zing! ROFL.

PureDisney
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by PureDisney » Jul Mon 27, 2009 9:53 am

Well if we all go to walmart, Disney Hong Kong should see new life.
I love it!

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Tue 08, 2009 1:25 pm

No new expansion? Diz recently announced the Mystic Manor expansion (the culturally modified replacement for the Haunted Mansionn) for Hong Kong Disneyland around July 21, 2009? See updated posted below:
Last edited by mindflipper on Oct Tue 06, 2009 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

No More HK Disneyland rides? There's MYSTIC MANOR

Post by mindflipper » Oct Tue 06, 2009 10:21 pm

It was posted there was going to be no further development to Hong Kong Disneyland - yet Disney has announced plans for Mystic Manor (their version of the HM) in a new section called Mystic Point at the HM's 40th Anniversary.

Here's a photo from a great person I know took at the 40th HM Anniversary event (everyone thank Crista for these great photos):

Image[/img]

alsirrap
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by alsirrap » Jan Sat 09, 2010 3:27 am

The word now is about the expansion to the Hong Kong park. People all forget about how each park starts out small. When WDW opened, I went the first year and there was no POTC, I can't even remember now what else wasn't there. The same at EPCOT & the Studios Park. Hong Kong is no different. I had a friend e-mail from Paris where she lived when it opened to tell me how dissappointed she was in how little was there. Now, it's becoming more popular every year.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Sat 09, 2010 12:42 pm

You're right - when WDW opened, it did not have Pirates, the Haunted Mansion, or Space Mountain. When EPCOT opened, it did not have Living Seas, Imagination (the ride only, the rest of the pavillion was open), Wonders of Life, Morocco, or Norway. Every park adds and expands as time goes by, HKDL will be no different. It will do things differently - like Mystic Manor instead of the Haunted Mansion - in order to appeal more to the prevalent culture of where it is. DLP did Phantom Manor instead of the HM because they thought Europeans would find the Old West theme different than haunted manors (which there is a lot of in Europe).

Croaker
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Croaker » Jan Thu 21, 2010 1:38 pm

I loved this article... i think it points out the difference very well.

http://imagineerebirth.blogspot.com/200 ... hooey.html

careful its a very additctive site to read. great articles.
[img]http://www.oleole.es/main/web/images/manchester-united_banner.jpg[/img]

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Thu 21, 2010 1:56 pm

Even WDW's MK does not have everything DLR's MK has. Same with DLP's MK. Maybe it would have been better to compare it to one of those. And if you actually compared to what WDW's MK had when it opened, it might be similar. HKDL's MK is like WDW's MK when it opened: no Pirates, no HM, and missing other rides. They were added as time went on. Same will happen to HKDL's MK. Mystic Manor will replace the HM. The POTC, according to rumors, will be based on the movies for HKDL. Some rumors that Fantasyland will be based on more recent animated movies instead of all the old animated movies. Everyone is casting dispersions about it the same way when DLP opened. Everyone loves to be a nay-sayer or false prophet of doom.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Wed 03, 2010 9:55 pm

Captain Schnemo wrote: Frankly, I think most of us would be pretty happy if WDW imported the best Japanese Disney stuff..
Amen!

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Wed 03, 2010 10:44 pm

Update to Hong Kong Disneyland: in Disney's annual report for 2009, Disney has announed besides the addition of Mystic Point as a new land for HKDL there will be a second new land: Grizzly Gulch. It will have two rides: BTMRR, which will now be the Grizzly Gulch Runaway Mine Train, and DCA's Grizzly River Rapids will become the Grizzly Gulch River Rapids.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Mar Wed 03, 2010 11:01 pm

This sounds like when they yell clear right before the doctor thumps the corpse!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Thu 04, 2010 12:08 am

I think HKDL is going to take a different shape than DLR's MK or WDW's MK. It will be interesting to see how they develop it differently from the other parks.

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Mar Thu 04, 2010 8:05 am

My sister is going to HKDL next week. From what she says, the reports coming out of China are good. Her in-laws live in Hong Kong and have family in Mainland China. The Chinese perceive HKDL and the proposed Shanghai DisneyLand no different than DLR and WDW.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Thu 04, 2010 9:09 am

And the proposed expansions will HKDL guests something unique to their own park that won't be found at other parks (especially Mystic Point).

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Big trouble in Hong Kong: Disney all but abandons Hong K

Post by Amy » May Sun 23, 2010 8:38 pm

There are some really nice pictures of Hong Kong Disneyland in this MiceChat article...
http://micechat.com/forums/blogs/weeken ... house.html
The Jungle Cruise looks very different on that huge river without overhanging foliage!
And they have the Mobile Muppet Lab! I noticed the sides have the local language on them but I wonder if the characters speak English or not?
The IASW facade looks huge! And pretty :D
The one thing I noticed is there aren't many strollers. You see parents carrying their children though...