Disneyland Paris newbie questions for DLP veterans

Discussion of Non-U.S. Disney Parks

Moderator: Moderators

annafab
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Disneyland Paris newbie questions for DLP veterans

Post by annafab » Sep Sat 13, 2008 10:21 pm

How big is the main Disneyland park in Paris compared to Magic Kingdom/Disneyland USA? Can you do it in one day?

What's your favorite "must-do" ride?

What should we avoid?

Plus, if you have any other helpful hints about navigating the park, it would be more than welcome! Thanks!
:nemo:

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Sep Sat 13, 2008 10:26 pm

I've never been there myself, yet...

but, I do know there is a dragon under the castle which is kinda cool. I believe you can find pictures of it on the web. and from what I've heard (both on the web as well as here in the forums), some must-do attractions would be Phantom Manor and Space Mountain.
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Sep Sat 13, 2008 11:55 pm

As what js mentioned, you should definitely check out the castle because of the dragon. I've never been there myself either but I have seen many pictures of the park here and there. Here, http://i29.tinypic.com/11tvadx.jpg is a picture of the dragon that's there. I would take pictures of the stained glass windows of the castle that show Sleeping Beauty's story. Those are supposed to be really beautiful.

And I agree with js has said about Phantom Manor and Space Mountain. It would be great to see the great differances between the US and Paris versions. Wander around the Adventureland area such as Adventure Isle and Le Passage Enchanté d'Aladdin for exercise and to get some great views of the various items there.

All in all, I can say to have fun and try to see everything as much as you can.

tomdavo1
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by tomdavo1 » Sep Sun 14, 2008 6:02 am

I've been many times as it is closer to the UK. To me, Paris feels smaller and more intimate than in WDW, but that may just be down to familiarity. My favourite things to do in Magic Kingdom are;

Videopolis – for lunch, as you can watch a show whilst eating
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_hUt6uiKumrI/SA3ss ... opolis.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1150/914 ... 66.jpg?v=0

Thunder & Space Mountain, Indiana Jones – the big thrill rides

The parades are always great to watch (but of course get there early, they are generally very busy, a great tip is; if you have seen the parade before, go on the bigger rides as the park seems to empty when a parade is on)

The steam train that loops around the park, gentle way to see the park if you are tired

Main Street has the usual stores, arcades with art, Disney memorabilia, and great little food stores.

Last time I went, Pirates (O.t.C.) seems to be busy due to the films, but I guess it is still worth a ride (another favourite of mine!)

Buzz lightyear Lazer Blast – great interactive fun…

Most shows will be bi-lingual, with the French lines first, then the English straight after, if not there will be separate English and French viewings (generally). Also, the majority of cast members speak very good English.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are going to Disney Studios, I enjoy;
The Aerosmith ride, (but it’s in most of the other parks worldwide)

Lights Motors Action, (but that’s also in other parks worldwide, but if I’m correct, it is the original)

I haven’t been to the Studios park for ages, so I can’t comment on the newer rides like the Paris edition of Tower Of Terror, but I’m sure it’ll be great!

I found this on the net..
http://www.dlrpmagic.com/guides/disneylandpark/
http://www.dlrpmagic.com/guides/waltdisneystudiospark/

Have a fantastic trip, and I hope some of this helps…

acp
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Location: Formerly Disney-MGM Studios, now Cheshire, England.

Re: Disneyland Paris newbie questions for DLP veterans

Post by acp » Sep Mon 15, 2008 5:45 am

annafab wrote:How big is the main Disneyland park in Paris compared to Magic Kingdom/Disneyland USA? Can you do it in one day?
Paris' Disneyland Park is the largest Disneyland style park of all of them. You can do it all in a day, but you'd have to keep moving and hope the lines aren't too long.
What's your favorite "must-do" ride?
Space Mountain. It's completely different to the other versions, and is fantastic.

Don't forget to visit the dragon under the castle.

Pirates of the Caribbean, which is still as original, without the Jack Sparrow modifications.

Phantom Manor, which has some different scenes to those you'll see in the US parks.

Big Thunder, which is on an island on its own in the middle of the Rivers of America.

Alice's Curious Labyrinth, which is a unique attraction at DLRP.
Plus, if you have any other helpful hints about navigating the park, it would be more than welcome! Thanks!
If you want to get down main street during the parade, take the arcades, which run adjacent to Main Street on either side.

If you're visiting the Studios next door, the Tower of Terror just opened, and there's some other cool unique to DLRP stuff there, too. Crush's Coaster, Stich Live, Cinemagique, Animagique, etc. The Rock'n'Roller Coaster is the same track layout as the one at WDW, but has completely different theming. The studio tram tour has some different scenes than those at WDW (although Catastrphe Canyon is also here).

You can see my photos that I took when I was there last July here:
http://gallery.andrewpoole.org.uk/index.php?cat=26

Hope this helps! If you have any more questions, just let me know!

Andy.
Subsonic Radio Admin and former Walt Disney World Cast Member

Subsonic Radio Player for Windows (Latest version: 1.8.5 - More info)

Disneyland Paris: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Walt Disney World: 2006, 2010, 2011, 2015, 2019
Tokyo Disney Resort: 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
Hong Kong Disneyland: 2016, 2017
Shanghai Disneyland: 2018

annafab
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by annafab » Oct Mon 06, 2008 4:22 pm

New question: Where/when should I buy DLP tickets?

I found some sites that offer a package deal to buy a park ticket with a roundtrip train ticket from Paris (where we'll most likely be coming from). Are those sites legit?
Do the tickets work like US tickets, where they won't expire until you start using them?

annafab
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by annafab » Oct Mon 13, 2008 7:15 pm

Ok, different question.

Crowd-wise, which would be better: Jan 1 (Thur) or Jan 2 (Fri)...or will it not make a difference?

BD Paris
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by BD Paris » Nov Fri 21, 2008 7:58 pm

First, some of the things you definitly have to see when visiting the Resort are:

Magic Kingdom park:

- It's A Small World (great, great version in Paris)
- Phantom Manor (completely different from the US versions)
- Big Thunder Mountain (overall the best Big Thunder experience you'll ever have)
- Indiana Jones et Le Temple Du Peril (very fun coaster)
- The Adventureland area around the Swiss family tree
- Alice's Curious Labyrinth (if you enjoyed the movie)
- Space Mountain (altough the overall ride experience was better with the theming and music they played the first years, don't miss out on this one!)

The Studios:

- Cinémagique (no explaining to do here, you just HAVE to see this)
- Crush Coaster (unique experience and a great tribute to the movie)
- Tower of Terror (altough very similar to DCA, it has it's differences)
- Armageddon (might be dissappearing soon so grab your chance :wink: )

No matter how long you are staying at the resort, even if it's for a day. Try and visit both parks but avoid dining at the Studios! The Magic Kingdom park has some very nice places to eat:

My absolute favourite in the self-service category is Bella Notte, which is themed to Lady & The Tramp, there's also the Cowboy Cookout (great chicken!) Chalet De La Marionette serves the same as Cowboy Cookout but is located in Fantasyland and is themed to the Pinnochio film. In Adventureland there's this perfectly themed Pizza/Pasta place too called Colonel Hathi's Outpost.

If you're willing to pay the extra for a waiter and table-service then there's some great French cuisine at L'auberge De Cendrillon, this is themed after the Cinderella movie including the Chariot outside. "Walt's An American Restaurant" is also worthy of mentioning, some very unique sculptures and photographs inside. If these 2 don't appeal that much then there's also a great variety of fish and seafood at the restaurant located next to Pirates of the Carribean called "Blue Lagoon", very nicely themed and inside the actual attraction. These table-service restaurants are almost always only opened for lunch so you should be quick.

Things to avoid are the long lines at Big Thunder & Space Mountain, use the fastpass service there. Studio Tram Tour is a joke compared to the US versions, if you've seen everything of the Studios I mentioned above then you basically saw everything you had to there.

Parades and shows are ok, especially the seasonal ones that will still be running then. Mickey's Winter Wonderland is the show I recommend the most, which is located back in Frontierland. Try seeing it while working your way around the park, start with Frontierland and go clockwise until you've made your way to Discoveryland (Tomorrowland)

As for tickets, I seriously recommend buying them at the Studios park entrance as soon as you arrive, if that's too crowdy try the Magic Kingdom entrance. Once you have your tickets try picking up the things I mentioned in the Studios first, and around 11'ish you should be in the Magic Kingdom. (Don't lose too much time at Crush's Coaster or The Tower for that part. Make it Crush if you have to choose, you have 2 Towers back in the States :wink: )

As I stated in your other thread, try going the 2nd of January. If you have any other questions or things you'd like to share, feel free to
:wink:
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/221/userbar695441pb0.gif[/img][/url]