Space Mountain Paris!

Discussion of Non-U.S. Disney Parks

Moderator: Moderators

U016292
Main Street Horse Car Coachman

Post by U016292 » Jul Mon 02, 2007 12:41 pm

Space Mountain Mission 2 in Paris is my most favourite rollercoaster of all!
The theming is great, the launch is incredible and the ride is just perfect! :D

But some innovations are a shame to me :(.
Some disappointments are:
-the story is gone
-the victorian Jules Verne theme is almost disappeared
-the music is too 'spacy' and more techno-like, which doesn't fit at all with Space Mountain. A combination between the first and the second music would be great; victorain and classical like the first, but more powerfull and a bit spacy like the second. That would be the perfect combination for Space Mountain Mission 2.
-the queues are too boring build. The whole queue should be themed like the chartchamber before the station (unfortunately, I can't find pictures of it to show it to you), which is a great innovation and looks excellent! That's the theme how it should be (in my opinion)
-the safety videos are also too modern and spacy and not victorian how it should be. A safety video with Jules Verne in it would be much better

Ofcourse, this are personal opinions, but I think many others would agree with it. Anyway, it still remains a very good attraction, but it could even better. :)
[url=http://christophet.freehostia.com][img]http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u299/chris5488/a.gif[/img][/url] <- click to go there!
[url=http://rct3online.simgames.net/Forum/index.php][img]http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u299/chris5488/c.png[/img][/url]
[img]http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u299/chris5488/smm2.png[/img]
[img]http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u299/chris5488/b.gif[/img]

disneypinnut
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by disneypinnut » Jul Sun 15, 2007 3:39 pm

We went to DLP in 2001. This Space Mountain ride was a little intense. Very bumpy. More like the Rock'n Roller Coaster in Disney- MGM. The theme was well done and the concept of getting shot out of a cannon (ala Jules Verne) was well done.

acp
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Location: Formerly Disney-MGM Studios, now Cheshire, England.

Post by acp » Jul Sun 15, 2007 5:56 pm

I rode Mission 2 at the end of May. I liked it. I prefer it to the one at WDW, but I do agree with the bumpy thing. It's not the smoothest ride around by quite a margin. The cannon launch is a very cool thing.

I can't really comment on the queues, since I didn't actually have to wait in one.. There weren't any queues whilst I was there, and the rest of the time I had a fastpass. What I remember of them though was that they were just plain dark black tunnels until you get closer to the station where the brick-building theming kicks in.

Andy.
Subsonic Radio Admin and former Walt Disney World Cast Member

Subsonic Radio Player for Windows (Latest version: 1.8.5 - More info)

Disneyland Paris: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Walt Disney World: 2006, 2010, 2011, 2015, 2019
Tokyo Disney Resort: 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
Hong Kong Disneyland: 2016, 2017
Shanghai Disneyland: 2018

ralberts
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by ralberts » Jul Mon 16, 2007 7:33 am

For one thing, it ain't your WDW Space Mountain!!! :shock:

acp
Location: Formerly Disney-MGM Studios, now Cheshire, England.

Post by acp » Jul Mon 16, 2007 7:45 am

ralberts wrote:For one thing, it ain't your WDW Space Mountain!!! :shock:
It most certainly isn't. Here's a few choice shots of it from my recentish trip to DLRP:

Entrance and wait time - short queue!
The Collumbiad with teh Nautillius in front of it
The mountain
The launch

Andy.
Subsonic Radio Admin and former Walt Disney World Cast Member

Subsonic Radio Player for Windows (Latest version: 1.8.5 - More info)

Disneyland Paris: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Walt Disney World: 2006, 2010, 2011, 2015, 2019
Tokyo Disney Resort: 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
Hong Kong Disneyland: 2016, 2017
Shanghai Disneyland: 2018

xinho

Post by xinho » Aug Tue 21, 2007 4:33 pm

I hope to ride "Space Mountain:Mission II" the next year.

The old Space Mountain ("From the Earth to the Moon") still is my favourite disney park ride. It was incredible. All the imagination of Jules Verne in its book "From the Earth to the Moon", you saw it happen in front of you. The launch sent you a fabulous trip.

I hadn't updated the ride :(

After feeling "Mission II" I can that change my opinion, but right now is impossible.

blinkereye123

Post by blinkereye123 » Aug Sat 25, 2007 10:22 pm

Hi again. Although I haven't ridden SMM2 yet I can tell you from experience that the original concept 'From the Earth to the Moon' was a much heartier experience. Just the idea of takng a Jules Verne concept and "fleshing it out", so to speak, was a great idea to begin with. Couple that with one of the best launch sequences anywhere in the world and you have one heck of a Disney experence. While I'm sure the new attraction is just as thrilling I guess I'm more partial to the idea of telling a good story as well as giving a good jolt to the system every now and then. Well, until next time, peace.

xinho

Post by xinho » Aug Tue 28, 2007 10:23 am

blinkereye123 wrote:... I can tell you from experience that the original concept 'From the Earth to the Moon' was a much heartier experience. Just the idea of takng a Jules Verne concept and "fleshing it out", so to speak, was a great idea to begin with.
Discoveryland was created to show to the genius called Jules Verne. The idea was fantastic, besides perfect for a version of Space Mountain.
blinkereye123 wrote:Couple that with one of the best launch sequences anywhere in the world and you have one heck of a Disney experence.
I think the same thing.
blinkereye123 wrote:While I'm sure the new attraction is just as thrilling I guess I'm more partial to the idea of telling a good story as well as giving a good jolt to the system every now and then. Well, until next time, peace.
Completely truth!!

I hadn't updated the ride. I had utilized that expense to include a new attraction in Adventureland.

frantheman76
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Post by frantheman76 » Sep Wed 26, 2007 3:44 am

This ride really needs a refurb. The track is so bumpy. It brings to mind Rock'n Roller Coaster but a lot more jolty.
[img]http://mountainrides.arhynes.org/_i/banners/bar/peoplemover.gif[/img]

Mandi
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by Mandi » Nov Thu 08, 2007 12:09 pm

and it seems to become harder and harder to stand this!

you go out with an haedhache each time...
and 1/2 times ther's no music or smoke effects and all

is us big thrills have this sort of problems? effect missing sometime and all for people who go often to ride it?

and back to the first post the colors on the moutain and all i think it wouldn't be fine on the us moutains...but for french people when we see the pics we feel like this white space moutain isn't finished to be painted :D

Marvito
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by Marvito » May Thu 29, 2008 8:37 pm

i went on space mountain in my first trip to disneyland with my girlfriend in Late 2006 and OMG it was SCARY!!! lol was great fun but SCARY!
Marvito <33... I love you all! :)

sienablaze
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by sienablaze » Jun Fri 06, 2008 9:05 am

I have an annual passport and I never go on Space Mountain in Paris. It gives me a headache. It's just shaky from being worn out and there's nothing that can be done about that, other than changing the tracks and the cars... I would recommend Rock 'n Rollercoaster.

marcdijon
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by marcdijon » Jun Sun 08, 2008 3:54 am

i totally agree with you UO16292 i regret that the 19th century victorian style disappeared
i wish the whole discoveryland had the victorian style like space mountain and videopolis....but with the star tours building and buzz, the theme is a big mess....

DDDoherty

Post by DDDoherty » Jun Fri 20, 2008 12:54 pm

On the outside, the theming is great - best of the three I've been to. On the inside, the ride is great - again, best of the three I've ridden. As you've said, however, they don't continue the story line from outside to inside...
July In WDW At a DVC Resort

ekim101

Re: Space Mountain Paris!

Post by ekim101 » Apr Wed 04, 2012 12:54 am

They are working on new rollercoaster cars with a different headrest system which should help but really needs a re track but that will not happen any time soon. I miss the the smooth a silk days