Haunted Halloween in Hong Kong

Discussion of Non-U.S. Disney Parks

Moderator: Moderators

Esmeralda
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Haunted Halloween in Hong Kong

Post by Esmeralda » Aug Wed 27, 2008 10:57 am

I never knew Halloween was even popular in Hong Kong, but it sounds like they're going all out!
http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID10031120.asp

I wish I could go - anyone out there going to venture to Asia?
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

Cheshire Cat
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain

Post by Cheshire Cat » Aug Wed 27, 2008 1:45 pm

It looks like HKDL is the only Disney park to do traditional Halloween walk throughs. Although I'd imagine it would be toned down, seeing as it's Disney. DL and WDW are probably the only two theme parks in the US that don't have Halloween walk throughs.

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Aug Wed 27, 2008 3:35 pm

Cheshire Cat wrote:It looks like HKDL is the only Disney park to do traditional Halloween walk throughs. Although I'd imagine it would be toned down, seeing as it's Disney. DL and WDW are probably the only two theme parks in the US that don't have Halloween walk throughs.
HKDL only has 4 total lands - Main Street, Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, and Adventureland. they don't have much in way of attractions, and they don't have any kind of Haunted Mansion/Phantom Manor. so, the best they can do is some walk-thrus or dress up the rides already in place.
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

davyjones
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by davyjones » Sep Thu 11, 2008 10:08 pm

The quality of this event is incredible!!!!! So very, very cool. The parade alone is worth the price of admission. It's on youtube somewhere.

sojerseyWDW
Main Street Horse Car Coachman
Main Street Horse Car Coachman

Post by sojerseyWDW » Sep Fri 19, 2008 7:34 am

Very cool - I guess they have had success in the past with this type of event in HK but don't know how it would go over in the U.S. Universal does something like this but they are a completely different park than MK. I can see it now, all the little pirates and princessess running for their life! Would be so cool!

elizabethswann
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by elizabethswann » Sep Fri 19, 2008 1:59 pm

I remember reading about that on another site and that looks fun though I know I won't venture a trip to Asia in this lifetime. It would have been nice to check out.

cap396
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by cap396 » Sep Wed 24, 2008 12:21 pm

They had something similar to this over the summer of 2007, but it was pirate theme instead of a haunted theme. They had people dressed up like pirates, made a slight modification to the Jungle Cruise to include a pirate theme, and a treasure hunt for kids, etc.

99Soulz
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by 99Soulz » Oct Tue 14, 2008 9:25 am

So, this may lead to a new thread, but why does WDW not change any attractions for seasonal theming? Do they think the special event nights are enough? Just seems to be a shame to have other parks alter their attractions for Halloween and Christmas (Haunted Mansion Holiday in DLR) and nothing done in WDW.

Maybe I just need to get to those other parks!

js3901

Post by js3901 » Oct Tue 14, 2008 9:43 am

this is going off topic, but the short and skinny of it is that budget cutbacks, and a lack of caring prevents them from doing the overlays on any regular basis. they used to do a couple of themed overlays for Christmas (like the CBJ), but they haven't done it in years. rumors around the net say that this year they're bringing back some of the overlays while they do updates/upgrades.

now, anymore talk about WDW and holiday overlays, or differences between DLR/WDW/other Disney Parks, should be directed to it's own thread.
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

kschn3671
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Post by kschn3671 » Oct Sat 25, 2008 6:07 am

This is definately a different experience then in the US Parks.