What is better? Phantom Manor or Haunted Mansion?

Discussion of Non-U.S. Disney Parks

Moderator: Moderators

What is Better?

Phantom Manor
29%
Haunted Mansion
39%
impossible to choose
32%

Total votes: 28

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: What is better? Phantom Manor or Haunted Mansion?

Post by Amy » Sep Wed 21, 2011 11:59 am

Brian845 wrote:
mindflipper wrote:
jenko wrote:One thing that always bugs me about PM and HM, in the lift scene (gallery), when the lift stops and you look up to see flashing light, arent you supposed to be able to see something? I can never make out what it is
It's a person hanging from the rafters. In the HM, the Ghost Host informs you that there are no exits to the room, but "of course, there's always my way out." The joke being suicide was his way out. At the PM, the body hanging from rafters has been done so by the Phantom, meaning "my way out" is to have you dangling from a rope like his poor victim.
In all my years of visiting Disneyworld I never figured this out until quite recently (within the past couple of years), and only by reading a bit more about the Haunted Mansion online. It's a very subtle effect.
It is pretty subtle. I don't know if that is intentional so it isn't too in your face gruesome for the kiddos, or if the scrim really needs to be cleaned?

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Wed 21, 2011 12:08 pm

I haven't been on Phantom Manor, but love the Vincent Price narration...even though it was dropped. The music is also wonderful! I love that some of it is used outside HMH!!!!

But just judging from the audio track alone, I can tell the two are so different that a comparison wouldn't be fair.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Wed 21, 2011 12:14 pm

MmeLeota wrote:I haven't been on Phantom Manor, but love the Vincent Price narration...even though it was dropped. The music is also wonderful! I love that some of it is used outside HMH!!!!

But just judging from the audio track alone, I can tell the two are so different that a comparison wouldn't be fair.
They are very different :hm_ghost: They both have their awesomeness though :D

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Wed 21, 2011 3:14 pm

Although Price's narration was dropped, his laughter is still used for the Phantom...

DisneySpin
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by DisneySpin » Jun Wed 27, 2012 10:31 am

I had to go with Phantom Manor, but me being me, it was an easy choice. I grew up with The Haunted Mansion at Disneyland and it will always be special, but the reason I love Phantom Manor is that it's just spookier with a less jokey feel. I know that might mess with the little ones in a family and I wouldn't take anyone under....7-8 on it, but boy, I liked a bit more adult haunted house feeling. It doesn't make you jump out of your seat, it's just more eerie, intense. Great music, better, more concise story, and excellent graveyard scenes.
We're all mad here, I'm mad, you're mad."

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Jan Wed 16, 2013 11:27 am

Now that I've done both ( :D :D :D :D :D :D :D )...

... all the way Phantom Manor. I love Haunted Mansion. I always will. But after seeing Phantom Manor (six times...) I feel HM is more, let's see how to nicely put it... sanitized. PM doesn't shy away from taking macabre and running away with it.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Wed 16, 2013 1:48 pm

I've often think the two should be judged separately. While alike, they are big differences in mood, content, story and score. I love the HM. I love the PM.

We may have to expand this comparison once the Mystic Manor (at HKDL) gets finished and open for business...

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Jan Wed 16, 2013 1:54 pm

I think execution of the idea of the typical "haunted house" attraction is a key factor in comparing the two, and PM executes the idea far better. It's definitely a scarier style than HM.

Although I'm curious to be able to throw Mystic Manor in with the bunch soon.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Wed 16, 2013 2:36 pm

Soarin08 wrote:Although I'm curious to be able to throw Mystic Manor in with the bunch soon.
It won't be as "ghostly" as HM and PM. The Chinese consider the dead very sacred, which is why neither POTC or HM were built when the park opened. Mystic Manor will be like the HM with the "ghosts" removed and "mischievious spirits" from an ancient cursed object wreaking havoc at the manor during your visit. Nastly little monkey. POTC will be revised I've heard to be based on the movies and not the rides like at DLR, WDW or DLP.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jan Wed 16, 2013 8:19 pm

From the concept art we saw of Mystic Manor at the D23 Expo, it looks to be the spookiest yet...even with the ghosts removed. What is it about the Asians and incredibly creepy stuff?
Has anyone ever looked into HKDL's Halloween celebration? It's more like Universal or Knott's than Disney! After all, Ghost Galaxy (Halloween themed overlay for Space Mountain) originated there...

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by Cardinals314 » Jun Tue 11, 2013 5:54 pm

I have never been to Disneyland Paris, but I like how Phantom Manor has an actual story behind it.

FadetoBlah
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur

Post by FadetoBlah » Jun Fri 28, 2013 12:57 pm

I have been to Paris, and have been on Phantom Manor quite a few times. It is wonderful, but I dont think it is as good as the WDW version. The ghost town at the end (replaces the grave yard scene) looks great on youtube (and I think it mostly is), but the graveyard at WDW is much better.

One thing that is great about Phantom manor is you enter the building on the front porch and go right in the front door of the house! How great is that?!

acp
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Location: Formerly Disney-MGM Studios, now Cheshire, England.

Post by acp » Jun Fri 28, 2013 5:26 pm

fade41 wrote:I have been to Paris, and have been on Phantom Manor quite a few times. It is wonderful, but I dont think it is as good as the WDW version. The ghost town at the end (replaces the grave yard scene) looks great on youtube (and I think it mostly is), but the graveyard at WDW is much better.
The town scene is great. I approve of things being unique to a single version of an attraction/park. I did once know the proper story for the whole Frontierland/Phantom Manor area, but I can't recall it right now. I do know that the story of Phantom Manor and Big Thunder Mountain are related in Paris, though.

It'd be nice if they brought the narration back. Tony Baxter did hint at it during a presentation at the park's 20th anniversary, but nothing's confirmed/announced. I usually find it strange going through the ride with no narration and sometimes find myself reciting WDW's narration to myself ;)
One thing that is great about Phantom manor is you enter the building on the front porch and go right in the front door of the house! How great is that?!
Don't forget that you also board your doom buggy in front of the manor's grand staircase ;)
Subsonic Radio Admin and former Walt Disney World Cast Member

Subsonic Radio Player for Windows (Latest version: 1.8.5 - More info)

Disneyland Paris: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Walt Disney World: 2006, 2010, 2011, 2015, 2019
Tokyo Disney Resort: 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
Hong Kong Disneyland: 2016, 2017
Shanghai Disneyland: 2018