The Differences In Rides At Disney Parks Around the World

Discussion of Non-U.S. Disney Parks

Moderator: Moderators

DDDoherty
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

The Differences In Rides At Disney Parks Around the World

Post by DDDoherty » May Sat 10, 2008 1:38 am

The rides at Disney Paris seem to be more exciting. Space Mountain, Rock'N'Rollercoaster, etc. Is this my imagination? or are they really designed differently? What is your experience? Which Space Mountain is the best? I vote for Disney Paris both for the queue experience and the ride. I'd also like to see the California Adventure roller coaster (the one shaped like Mickey!) at Walt Disney World! Which park should Disney put it in?
July In WDW At a DVC Resort

Cheshire Cat
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain

Post by Cheshire Cat » May Sat 17, 2008 3:18 pm

I don't know if exciting is the right word, but the attractions in DLRP are different from anywhere else. Every ride in that park puts a new twist on all the "classic" Disney rides. Sometimes for the better (Phantom Manor), sometimes it's for the worse (it's a small world) and somethimes it's just a different point of view (Pirates of the Caribbean).

While the other four magic kingdoms are basically copy, cut and paste, DLRP is unique.

Gforce
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur

Post by Gforce » May Sat 24, 2008 8:03 am

You have something to know, in Europe and more especially in France people is difficult, in this kind of theme park we want to be impressed, that's why Imagineering choose to make it imposing and outstanding (for example the BTM isle) .

There is also references to the european and french culture that the WDC had to respect because they signed a convention with the french state in 1987. That's why we have Discoveryland instead of Tomorrowland which deals with french or european visionaries' stories like the ones of Jules Verne.
There are other differences with the other Disney's Magic Kingdoms like the castle design, or the one of our Phantom Manor.

I can tell you more about our resort history and anecdotes about it if you want ;)

marcdijon
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by marcdijon » Jun Sun 08, 2008 4:00 am

Cheshire why don't you like IASM at DLRP ?
i've done it several times at wdw.....and it's hard to notice a big difference (contrary to SM or POTC) plus i don't like the entry way at wdw....

Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat » Jun Sun 08, 2008 5:11 pm

iasw at dlrp seems way too cartoony compared to the other versions (even hkdl) which are more art-like.

JulyInWDW
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by JulyInWDW » Jun Sun 08, 2008 11:30 pm

Help! :?

What is IASM? I assume SM is Space Mountain! But what about POTC? The resort initials I'm okay with! :-)

Thanks!

marcdijon

Post by marcdijon » Jun Mon 09, 2008 1:01 am

sorry julyinwdw iasw = it's a small world potc = pirates of the carribean

i'm sorry cheshire cat but i disagree, i think iasw in paris is just as cartoony as the one at wdw...and except for the entry, the ride itself is pretty much an identical copy

jenko
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Re: The Differences In Rides At Disney Parks Around the Worl

Post by jenko » Jul Mon 18, 2011 5:37 am

The following are rides that I would say are much more thrilling in paris compared to WDW

Big thunder mountain - by far the best BTM ive ever been on
Space mountain - you get launched out of a cannon, need i say more?
Pirates of the carribean - the lift hill you go up in this is genuinely quite scary, i always used to think we were going to slide back down it lol! Plus it has more drops than WDW

Since these are my fav rides I do love the fact that this park has the better ones, I miss splash mountain though, but indiana jones' ride makes up for that a little bit i guess!
Walt Disney Company employee: London, England

Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/c_jenko

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jul Mon 18, 2011 9:26 am

It has surprised me that after all these years Splash Mtn still has NOT been added to Disneyland Paris's MK park. I wonder why?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Mon 18, 2011 6:42 pm

mindflipper wrote:It has surprised me that after all these years Splash Mtn still has NOT been added to Disneyland Paris's MK park. I wonder why?
Something tells me the French citizens might not be excited about getting their couture wet in the logs. Or maybe they think it is too cold over there and people wouldn't ride it for several months out of the year?

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jul Mon 18, 2011 8:04 pm

TDL has it, and the ride is able to adjust the splash to minimize it to nothing during the winter months (something the Japanese made a requirement). Plus, European countries was some of the few besides Japan that actually had Song of the South released onto VHS tapes, so more Europeans are more familiar with the film than most Americans.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Mon 18, 2011 8:10 pm

mindflipper wrote:TDL has it, and the ride is able to adjust the splash to minimize it to nothing during the winter months (something the Japanese made a requirement). Plus, European countries was some of the few besides Japan that actually had Song of the South released onto VHS tapes, so more Europeans are more familiar with the film than most Americans.
Hmmm, I don't know then. Maybe some of our European subbers could shed some light on the subject? I didn't know that about the splash on the Japanese version of SM. I know I got soaked pretty good when I went on it and that was near the middle of December :shock:

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jul Mon 18, 2011 8:58 pm

I remember it was one of the big points they made about it in the old Disney magazine they had a few years back...

jenko
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by jenko » Jul Tue 19, 2011 6:37 am

It would be amazing if splash mountain came to paris, i personally would love it, but the thing is, it just wouldnt be as awesome as it is in america. Getting soaked even in the summer months isnt that cool really since we wouldnt dry out at all really since it gets warm in summer but not even close to the heat you guys are used to. Its such an expensive ride to be build that wouldnt be popular for half a year if that sortta thing
Walt Disney Company employee: London, England

Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/c_jenko

LITTLEBIT
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by LITTLEBIT » Oct Mon 17, 2011 11:15 am

mindflipper wrote:I remember it was one of the big points they made about it in the old Disney magazine they had a few years back...
I still have a copy of that issue!