World Of Disney NYC

Discussion of Non-U.S. Disney Parks

Moderator: Moderators

Sleeping Beauty 5
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

World Of Disney NYC

Post by Sleeping Beauty 5 » Apr Sat 26, 2008 9:30 pm

Hi, So I just got back from NYC and I had to stop at the World of Disney there to get my Disney fix. I have only been to WDW so I was already familiar with the World of Disney in Downtown Disney. The NYC WoD was a lot different that what I expected. They of course had a lot of mickey heads with NYC written next to some of the merchandise. What I didn't expect were a few things though:

1. No one knows where it is. I should have written down the address before I went but I knew that the concierge/taxi drivers know where everything is but you could not believe the look of "what/where?" when I asked for the store's location. It may not be as frequented as Barney's but it still deserves it's place.

2. The cast members there actually had cast member badges with their names and even where they were from (they all said "NYC" or the "Bronx" but the thought was still there)

3. It was a lot smaller than I expected. I think it's because the WoD is DD is so big but I thought I would find more Mickey t-shirts or jewelry/collectibles but the selection was very weak.

4. If you are someone looking for the "Stitch as Emperor Palpatine" or the "Goofy as Darth Vader" Star Wars action figures cause WDW sold out of them when we were there, WoD in NYC is your place..they had a ton of each!

All in all, it was good to see the Mouse! I would recommend taking the time out of your designer handbag or shoe shopping spree to visit it.

Mupsy90
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Mupsy90 » Apr Sun 27, 2008 9:38 pm

I love the world of disney store! I go every once in while since its only a train ride away for me. Its deffinetly not as big as the one in DD, but at least its better than the disney store. Thats odd how no one knew where it was, its right on 5th ave!

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Apr Tue 29, 2008 10:52 pm

I have been there before and love how they have a lot of stuff that the park sells. It helped me to get another of a watch that I had bought when I was in Disney World. Also they have some NY themed stuffed animals like a NY Mets Pluto. If I recall correctly it is on 55th and 5th ave.

I did notice the name tags too when I was there. I liked the idea since it is really those little things that could make the difference. It is actually a little bigger than you thought because it does have more than 1 floor. All in all a whole lot better than any Disney Store I have been to in the malls.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Esmeralda
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Esmeralda » Apr Wed 30, 2008 8:20 am

I loved the World of Disney, especially the NYC themed items. The only problem was the competition right down the road had them beat for size and imagination - be sure to check out FAO Schwartz the next time you're in New York!
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jul Sat 19, 2008 10:07 pm

Went to the World of Disney store in NYC today. It was very sad seeing all the Disney stuff just a week after coming back from WDW. I must say that they do have a lot of older stuff that you couldn't get in WDW. For example they have the blue monorail set where all the stores in WDW have the newer Green monorail set. They carry a lot of items you will find in WDW and a lot of NYC related items. All of the big statues on the 3rd floor I saw in the Art of Disney store in DD.

The cast members have the updated name tags that say Walt Disney World Resort on them... in my eyes is a little scary. They even have a character meet and greet on the 3rd floor... and the people with the characters wear the same yellow and white shirt. The registers and receipt are the same as any register and receipt in WDW. Most of the cast members even had the strict two finger pointing that WDW is known for. However, there were some who pointed you in the direction you needed with one finger.

In the end, it was a nice sad experience to see all of the disney items. It is not nearly as great as the store in DD and it made me want to hop onto the next flight out of Newark to Orlando!
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Jul Sat 19, 2008 10:28 pm

I went there last fall and had a blast!! Getting my pic taken with minnie as the statue of liberty and donald as a NYC firefighter was awsome!!!
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

Sleeping Beauty 5
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Sleeping Beauty 5 » Jul Fri 25, 2008 5:54 pm

Len90 wrote:In the end, it was a nice sad experience to see all of the disney items. It is not nearly as great as the store in DD and it made me want to hop onto the next flight out of Newark to Orlando!
Len90, I feel the same way. I went to get a little bit of a Disney fix, so to speak, because I won't be back to WDW until next year (I am working on my husband though for a quick weekend but I don't know if I can do everything I want to in 3 days). I'm not a fan of the NYC merchandise and I did notice the name tags too. I'm not saying that I want the store to close down but they definitely need to change the merchandising of the store.
Amy

Esmeralda

Post by Esmeralda » Aug Thu 14, 2008 3:18 pm

Rumor has it that the 5th Ave Disney Store is closing. This is sad news, but the rumor goes on to state that they're opening a better store right in Times Square! Makes sense to me, to tie in with their Broadway shows more. Here's hoping the imagineers go all out with the new design!

Cheshire Cat
Mark Twain Steamboat Captain

Post by Cheshire Cat » Aug Thu 14, 2008 3:38 pm

I hope they try to top Hershey's storefront. That would be the Disney thing to do.

yodiwan1

Post by yodiwan1 » Aug Thu 14, 2008 7:47 pm

Any idea where in Times Square it would go? I was up therea few months ago and dont see where it would fit.
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Aug Thu 14, 2008 10:20 pm

The Hershey's store is extremely small. The storefront might be nice, but it is rundown inside. The current WOD is extremely busy as is. Interesting rumors.
- Len90

Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat » Aug Thu 14, 2008 10:51 pm

The Hershey's store is extremely small. The storefront might be nice,
That's what I was referring to, the storefront. Haha... I remember my first time in there I was like... this is it? I'd rather drive an extra three hours to Hershey PA. :lol:

I hope Disney makes their storefront bigger and better than even Hershey's record-breaking one.

I hope the inside is good as well though... and BIG :!:

Esmeralda

Post by Esmeralda » Aug Fri 15, 2008 8:27 am

The Hershey storefront is the best, but the M&M interior beats everything else in Times Square. The M&Ms in various Broadway shows - what incredible theming!

99Soulz
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by 99Soulz » Sep Tue 02, 2008 7:12 am

Wow, I will definitely have to look into this rumor as I travel up to the NYC office for work once a month and we are located right in Times Square! No more grabbing cabs during rush hour - I hope the rumor is true!!

kschn3671
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

World of Disney Store

Post by kschn3671 » Oct Wed 01, 2008 6:53 pm

Enjoy the store while you can as it is due to be closing soon with a new store to open in Times Sqaure area but not as big