World Of Disney NYC

Discussion of Non-U.S. Disney Parks

Moderator: Moderators

imaginationcelebration
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Location: Somewhere in a galaxy far, far, away from someplace else

Post by imaginationcelebration » Mar Mon 01, 2010 8:45 pm

That's really sad...World of Disney is where it's at and no Disney Store can come close to comparing. Our local Disney Store went from decent in size and quality, which was fun to visit when you were far from Disney, to a smaller and junky store, and then eventually to no store at all. Now the only two stores that are near me are both about 100 miles away.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Mon 01, 2010 11:18 pm

The Disney Store here basically turned into a "princess boutique"

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Mar Tue 02, 2010 12:33 am

Seeing this thread pop up reminded me that I never posted any pictures from when I went by the former World of Disney store on Jan. 16. The store had been cleared out of merchandise on the first days of Jan. and work crews began gutting the place immediately after. I am lucky to have pictures inside the store to help me forever remember how it was. Seeing this really almost made me tear up. Warning these pictures are saddening, but they must be shared.

First up is the exterior as seen from 55th and 5th ave. All those second floor windows used to have decorations similar to the 7 dwarfs on that window on the far right. Also on the blacked out first floor, there were some cool murals.

Here is me posing with one just about a week before the store closed. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3 ... =617094701

Next up is the only fully intact part of the store, the Mickey and Minnie on top of the building marquee.

Finally, the toughest shot to pull off. This was taken through a gap in the covering put over the front doors. This was the right side of the lower level when you walked in. Towards the left (center of the store) was the big pin trading section with registers just beyond up against the escalators (beige desk on left side). The whole right side was where you could find clothing and lots of the NYC Disney merchandise.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Mar Tue 02, 2010 10:55 am

That is so sad. :( That must be hard for you Len since you're near there. You have to see it the way it is now. Thanks for sharing though.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Mar Tue 02, 2010 11:10 am

boilerbabe wrote:That is so sad. :( That must be hard for you Len since you're near there. You have to see it the way it is now. Thanks for sharing though.
It was a tough site to see and is saddening knowing that the store is no more. However, I consider myself fortunate to have been able to shop there multiple times.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."

imaginationcelebration
Location: Somewhere in a galaxy far, far, away from someplace else

Post by imaginationcelebration » Mar Tue 02, 2010 6:47 pm

Wow, the pictures are more depressing than I thought they would be. So sad...do you have any pictures of it in its glory to post Len?

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Mar Tue 02, 2010 8:49 pm

imaginationcelebration wrote:Wow, the pictures are more depressing than I thought they would be. So sad...do you have any pictures of it in its glory to post Len?
I do, but you will have yo give a few days to dig them out.
- Len90

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Wed 03, 2010 9:53 pm

I would love to see the pictures of the store in it's heydey as well. The Disney store in our mall here hasn't been the same for several years. I used to find watches and jewelry and now if you aren't shopping for someone 5 years old or younger, you might as well not bother stopping in. In fact the last time I wandered through the store, in the vain hope that something tailored to an adult might be there (other than the thinnest t-shirts known to man) the cast member stood behind the cash register, talking on the phone, and never even acknowledged my presence. Very sad :(