World Of Disney NYC

Discussion of Non-U.S. Disney Parks

Moderator: Moderators

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Dec Sun 27, 2009 6:40 pm

That's so sad! Did they say why the store is closing?! We have one in our mall, but nothing like the one that used to be on Mich. Ave in Chicago.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Dec Sun 27, 2009 7:14 pm

I talked to a few cast members tere and they stated that the landlord wanted to triple the rent and Disney didn't want to pay that much for the store.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Dec Mon 28, 2009 11:50 am

That's unfortunate Len. :cry: You were saying they may open a smaller store somewhere else, hopefully?!

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Dec Mon 28, 2009 12:52 pm

boilerbabe wrote:That's unfortunate Len. :cry: You were saying they may open a smaller store somewhere else, hopefully?!
It would not be the same. The smaller store that may open in Times Square would be a Disney Store and would be stocked similar to the stores at all the malls. This store was a World of Disney and was stocked with many theme park items, similar to the stores in Florida and California. It was a way to get all the good Disney theme park items without having to take a plane ride.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."

timekeeper
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by timekeeper » Dec Tue 29, 2009 9:23 am

Grrr... DD wanted to visit hear so badly once she heard about it. Bummer!

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Dec Wed 30, 2009 11:49 pm

LAST DAY FOR THE WORLD OF DISNEY NYC IS TODAY!!!

Anybody in the NYC area who wants to brave the new year's crowds, this is your FINAL chance to see this amazing store before it is too late :(
- Len90

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Tue 05, 2010 1:27 pm

Hey, Len90, in searching the net I came across this:

PASADENA, Calif., Jan 05, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) ----Disney Store will transform an expansive retail space in the heart of New York's Times Square into a magical state-of-the-art, interactive retail destination set to open in fall 2010. The lease signed with Vornado Realty Trust, negotiated by RCS Real Estate Advisors, and brokered by SRS Real Estate Partners secured the location at 1540 Broadway, between 45th and 46th Street. Inspired by Walt Disney's legacy of creativity and innovation, the new Disney Store will celebrate Disney's long-standing history with the city that never sleeps.

Since the debut of Walt Disney's audio-animatronic figures at the New York World's Fair in 1964, Disney designers, architects, and engineers have utilized technology to bring new immersive experiences to the city. Continuing the legacy, Disney Store will incorporate technologically advanced displays including an interactive Disney Princess castle to serve as one of many magical centerpieces at the new Times Square location. An all-new children's theater will feature the latest Disney entertainment, classic animation, and continue Disney's rich tradition of storytelling.

"Bringing Disney Store to the center of Times Square is a monumental achievement, and we have created a retail experience that complements the energy and innovation that Times Square inspires," said Jim Fielding, president of Disney Stores Worldwide. "We're focused on reinvigorating retail and providing a unique shopping destination to millions of families from all over the world who travel to New York for a magical experience."

"Disney's bold move to restore 42nd Street's greatest landmark theater in the 1990s was the turning point in Times Square's recent history. We are thrilled that Disney is bringing its creative energies yet again to Times Square with this new Disney Store. An iconic brand is coming again to America's most iconic place," said Tim Tompkins, president of Times Square Alliance.

Renovations will begin soon at the Times Square location, designed to showcase a wide assortment of products inspired by iconic Disney characters and key entertainment properties. The newly-designed Disney Store will facilitate interactive play and imagination, host children's activities, special events, and celebrity appearances. Over the next five years Disney Store plans to strategically balance its retail portfolio, enter new markets, and transform more than 300 locations across the US and Europe to feature the new design.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jan Tue 05, 2010 11:04 pm

http://racked.com/archives/2010/01/05/t ... ver_21.php
Please keep in mind that this is a DISNEY STORE. It is technically a separate company from the World of Disney store that was on 55th and 5th. The merchandise that will be carried at this location will be what you can purchase at your local mall store. It does seem like it will be a nice store, but IMO it will never come close to being what was on 5th ave.

This is a VERY smart location choice for the Disney Store to go with. The location is just down the road from where The Lion King is currently being performed. It is also about 4 blocks north from the theater where Mary Poppins is currrently playing. The location will be in a small chunk of the old Virgin Megastore (remember that in DTD?) which will mostly be replaced by a huge Forever 21. Finally, it will 1 block north of the Toys R Us Times Square ;)

As for an update on the now defunct World of Disney store on 55th and 5th. It has been confirmed that the store closed and dismantling took place on Jan. 4th. Now all that is left are pictures and memories :(
- Len90

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Tue 05, 2010 11:54 pm

I understand they're separate stores, Len90. What I want to know - why replace the World of Disney with Disney Store - why not just move the World of Disney to the new spot???

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jan Wed 06, 2010 1:10 am

mindflipper wrote:I understand they're separate stores, Len90. What I want to know - why replace the World of Disney with Disney Store - why not just move the World of Disney to the new spot???
It might be related to the re-branding and re-launching of the Disney Store. Recently Disney took back control of the Disney Store line from Hoop Retail. This aquisition took place in May 2008. During the summer of 2008 the decision to not renew the lease was made. I personally believe the reaquisition of the Disney Store line had to do with not moving the World of Disney store. If you recall, when Disney sold off to The Childrens Place (Hoop), they did not include their giant store on 5th Ave and 55th. Instead, Disney converted it into the World of Disney. It all just seems like a circle coming back around. Secondly, in November 2009, Disney announced a partnership with Steve Jobs and Apple (another reason to love Apple :D). Through this partnership, Disney hopes to re-launch and re-invent the Disney Store. The store in Times Square seems like a perfect set-up.

Also note the timeline of events that has transpired here.
May 2008: Disney takes back control of Disney Store
Summer 2008: Disney announces plans to close World of Disney NYC when the lease expires in 2010. Disney claims it will open a regular Disney store SOMEWHERE in Manhattan after the closure.
Summer 2008: Vornado realty announces that Virgin Megastore Times Square will begin closing in early 2009.
Jan 2009: Virgin Megastore Times Square announces it is closing in April. To be replaced mostly by a massive Forever 21.
April 2009: Virgin shuts down
December 31, 2009: Final Day for World of Disney NYC
January 4, 2010: World of Disney NYC is dismantled
January 5, 2010: New Disney Store Times Square and location is announced.

When you study this rough timeline, carefully look at the trends. It was all right there in front of us and I am surprised that this didn't leak out earlier. Disney had to know they were going to open here right after the plans to close the World of Disney store were announced.
- Len90

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Wed 06, 2010 1:35 pm

To me, it sounds like the World of Disney may be absorbed into the Disney Stores, Len90. Then it makes me wonder this: how long before they decide to transition the remaining current World of Disney stores into the new Disney Stores?? :?

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jan Wed 06, 2010 8:27 pm

mindflipper wrote:To me, it sounds like the World of Disney may be absorbed into the Disney Stores, Len90. Then it makes me wonder this: how long before they decide to transition the remaining current World of Disney stores into the new Disney Stores?? :?
I highly doubt that is the case for the entire World of Disney. I personally think that the World of Diseny is to be reserved for on site stores. Remember, that store in NY began as a regular Disney store. It was the biggest and supposedly most profitable store. When Disney sold off to Children's Place, they wanted to keep that store as theirs. The only way for them to do it was to transfer it around the company and re-launch the location as a World of Disney store. Now the circle is coming around and a big standard Diseny Store is back in NYC. I personally would doubt that Disney would change the massive stores in DTD and DCA. They control the rent on each of them and those stores are always jammed. IMO too good of a money maker to even think of changing.
- Len90

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jan Wed 06, 2010 8:57 pm

I think the terms would be "standardizing" or "soldifying various brand images into a single brand image". Making all the stores into the "Disney Store" creates a single consistent brand image for the company to interact with the public. Oh yes, after a few years in the business world, you can write this kind of marketing cr*p without having to talk to the marketing department. :wink: :roll:

alsirrap
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by alsirrap » Jan Sat 09, 2010 3:20 am

Disney said that although closing the current store it would reopen near the theatres where the Disney Broadway plays are. I guess that may make sense, however, the location will be smaller they said than the current one.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jan Sun 17, 2010 4:03 am

Okay, just to update everybody on this. The old store is cleaned out and is in the process of being gutted. The only parts that remain are the Mickey and Minnie statues on the front marquee along with the World of Disney and a poster of the seven dwarfs hanging from the second story on 55th street. I'll share with you a couple of saddening pictures that I took while in the city this evening.
- Len90