DCL Med Cruises - Official Announcement

Discussion of Non-U.S. Disney Parks

Moderator: Moderators

Mickeymac

DCL Med Cruises - Official Announcement

Post by Mickeymac » Mar Tue 21, 2006 10:51 am

This, courtesy of Mary from Mousesavers and my boss:

"Special itineraries have been announced for the Disney Magic between 5/12/07 and 9/1/07!

As I have been predicting, the President of Disney Cruise Line, Tom McAlpin, announced that they will be sailing to the Mediterranean for the first time in Summer 2007:

5/12/07-5/26/07- Itinerary for Repositioning Cruise from Port Canaveral to Europe

* Saturday - Port Canaveral
* Sunday - Castaway Cay
* Monday - At Sea
* Tuesday - At Sea
* Wednesday - At Sea
* Thursday - At Sea
* Friday - At Sea
* Saturday - At Sea
* Sunday - Tenerife, Canary Islands
* Monday - At Sea
* Tuesday - Cadiz, Spain (Seville)
* Wednesday - Gibralter, UK
* Thursday - At Sea
* Friday - Barcelona, Spain
* Saturday - Debark in Barcelona

5/26/07-8/18/07 - Itineraries for Alternating 10-night and 11-night cruises in the Mediterranean

10-Night Itinerary:

* Wednesday - Barcelona, Spain
* Thursday - At Sea
* Friday - Palermo, Italy
* Saturday - Naples, Italy (Pompeii)
* Sunday - Olbia, Sardinia
* Monday - Civitavecchia, Italy (Rome)
* Tuesday - La Spezia, Italy
* Wednesday - Marseilles, France
* Thursday - Villefranche, France
* Friday - At Sea
* Saturday - Debark in Barcelona

11-Night Itinerary:

* Saturday - Barcelona, Spain
* Sunday - At Sea
* Monday - Palermo, Italy
* Tuesday - Naples, Italy (Pompeii)
* Wednesday - Olbia, Sardinia
* Thursday - Civitavecchia, Italy (Rome)
* Friday - At Sea
* Saturday - La Spezia, Italy
* Sunday - Marseilles, France
* Monday - Villefranche, France
* Tuesday - At Sea
* Wednesday - Debark in Barcelona

8/18/07-9/1/07 - Repositioning cruise from Barcelona to Port Canaveral (reverses eastbound repo cruise)"

Will update the final repo as it becomes available

Dr. Ravenscroft
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Mar Tue 21, 2006 6:23 pm

Thats what I figured with the clue with the monkeys but the other clues I was really off with. Thanks for the updates Mickeymac.

Mickeymac

Post by Mickeymac » Mar Wed 22, 2006 7:50 am

You are welcome.

The morse coding pointed to coordinates of the ports of call. It was really neat to see how they all pulled it together. I guessed they were going to the med, but the Alaska, Hawaii, and other references really threw me off. Kept expecting another ship to materialize.

Dr. Ravenscroft

Post by Dr. Ravenscroft » Mar Wed 22, 2006 4:26 pm

Thats what I was thinking. Or at least that it would go to Alaska.

Mickeymac

Post by Mickeymac » Mar Thu 23, 2006 9:54 am

That would be nice. I would love an Alaskan cruise. We are currently toying with doing the Disney Adventure to the glacier park in Canada this summer as we are looking to do the cruise next summer. So much for having spare time... :roll:

Esmeralda
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Esmeralda » Jan Tue 01, 2008 2:39 pm

So did anyone out there try the Mediterranean Cruise? Sounds like a fabulous idea to me. Not that I have any money or time off at the moment, but it sure does look good for the future.

Also, does anyone know if they are planning on sending a ship there again in the near future?
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

marcdijon
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by marcdijon » Jun Sun 08, 2008 4:02 am

did they stop the med cruises ?
i can't find any on their website

HakuOni
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by HakuOni » Jun Sun 08, 2008 4:05 am

that would be soo cool that they were to go to alaska. maybe next time everybody. this time just wait it out.

jcodirewolf
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by jcodirewolf » Jun Tue 24, 2008 12:34 pm

Esmeralda wrote:So did anyone out there try the Mediterranean Cruise? Sounds like a fabulous idea to me. Not that I have any money or time off at the moment, but it sure does look good for the future.

Also, does anyone know if they are planning on sending a ship there again in the near future?
*raises hand* I did, 11 day cruise plus 3 days at DLRP and 1 day in Paris.

Right now the ship is doing the mexican rivera, I would expect them continue to move the magic around and do speciality cruises with it.

Although I doubt they will do Med cruise for a few more years. My understanding is it didn't sell as quickly as they had hoped. There was a lot of interest in the cruise. But 10-11 days plus a day or two on either end for travel plus the cost. Add to that a lot of the initial reviews of the cruise where less than glowing, Disney had a few logistical issues.

For instance, we took a Disney excursion in Barsolona(sp?) before the ship set sail, we also had Disney set up our flights to and from. And guess what, they put us on a flight that arrived 20 minutes AFTER the excursion left. At first we thought this was a simple mistake, after all we booked both things THOUGH Disney, it's not like they didn't have all the information. After 3 phone calls of being told "there is nothing we can do, you should have told us BEFORE we/Disney booked your flights" we emailed the VP of DCL and asked him if he thought it was "Reasonable" that we booked everything though Disney and our flights don't land in time for us to do the excursion. No answer from him, but we got a call a few days after that asking us how they can move the flights around to make it work.

#speculation
My GUESS is that they are getting experience with running cruises out of other ports, so when the two new ships come on line in 2010-2011 they can turn the current routes over to those ships and move the Magic and Wonder to other routes. The new ships will be too large to get though the Panama cannel. Also the Magic is the Ambassador/Flag ship for the cruise line.

What I see happening is new ships doing the 3, 4 and 7 day runs out of port canaveral. The Wonder sailing out of San Deigo for mexico, and the Magic doing an extended version of that route seasonally split up with special cruises like Alaska, South America and Europe.

As I said I have no inside information, but it makes sense. The 2 ships already use the Disney Terminal out of Fla 3 days a week. Why put more traffic on pretty much the same routes you are already servicing, but add another itinerary. Take a look at Carnival, Princess or Royal Caribbean. They have routes all over the world (some are seasonal, some are year around.)

johno
[color=red]Updated![/color] For 2008 - [url=http://www.direwolf.com/Dreams/]Million Dreams Postcard Generator[/url]

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Jul Sun 27, 2008 11:17 pm

i am having my honeymoon next summer in Europe. We were going to spend a few days at DLP and then go on a cruise. Does anyone know if the Med cruise will be bacl? if not any ideas on another one? and Must sees at DLP. How about hotels there also?
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

JWG

Post by JWG » Jul Mon 28, 2008 4:41 pm

yodiwan1 wrote:i am having my honeymoon next summer in Europe. We were going to spend a few days at DLP and then go on a cruise. Does anyone know if the Med cruise will be bacl? if not any ideas on another one? and Must sees at DLP. How about hotels there also?
If you call they should know there itineraries for 2009 since it's less than a year out now.
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/HeathenAngel/Avatars%20Etc/epcot-fan.gif[/img][/url][url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w251/budz211/horizons.gif[/img][/url]
[img]http://www.disneypedia.org/_i/banners/bar/space-mountain2.gif[/img][img]http://www.disneypedia.org/_i/banners/bar/SR_fan.gif[/img]

jcodirewolf

Post by jcodirewolf » Jul Mon 28, 2008 6:33 pm

I wouldn't count on it. When they do special cruises they normally announce them about 2 years in advanced, and start taking reservations a year or more in advance. Right now the website will let me book the Magic and Wonder for Caribbean cruises (for the summer of 2009 July/Aug/Sept.)

Now I know acp has another opinion about DLRP. But to be honest we had more fun our day in Paris than at DLRP. The hotel we stayed at Newport hotel on the concierge level, that was okay.

johno
[color=red]Updated![/color] For 2008 - [url=http://www.direwolf.com/Dreams/]Million Dreams Postcard Generator[/url]