Hong Kong Disneyland - Bad Press?

Discussion of Non-U.S. Disney Parks

Moderator: Moderators

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Sep Mon 12, 2005 2:11 am

well, seeing as how the park officially opened today, I don't think there will be many reviews here. And, as it's opening day, of course it's going to be crowded. I expect it'll be crowded between now and at least Christmas, if not longer. As far as expensive or anything else, it all depends on the conversion rate and all that stuff. I would think it'd be similar price to any of the other Disney Parks, maybe a bit less as not all the attractions are open yet (as far as I've heard).

We'll have to see from our Asian friends, or anyone from here/Europe managed to travel there...
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

kronk's angel
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by kronk's angel » Sep Tue 13, 2005 12:23 am

"...All of these complaints may be valid, but I have to confess: I had a good time at the park last week. And my two kids had a blast..."

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnf ... _db046.htm
No, no... He's got a point.

Blackie Pueblo
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Blackie Pueblo » Sep Wed 14, 2005 5:06 am

Sounds like the opening was a real... p***...

Chinese bring culture shock to HK Disney
15:17 AEST Tue Sep 13 2005
AAP

AP - Mainland Chinese tourists visiting Hong Kong Disneyland on its debut day smoked in non-smoking areas, went barefoot and even let children urinate in public.

The Apple Daily described the behaviour of mainland tourists as "disgraceful" while acknowledging that they "brought good business" to the park as it opened its gates on Monday to 16,000 visitors.

The park estimated that about a third were from mainland China.

Although Hong Kong, a former British colony, returned to Chinese rule in 1997, many locals regard themselves as more refined and educated than their mainland Chinese counterparts.

The Ming Pao Daily reported Tuesday that visitors from mainland China disregarded the theme park's rules and smoked cigarettes in restaurants and other nonsmoking areas. It ran a photo showing a woman in a Minnie Mouse cap smoking in an open area.

The newspaper carried another photograph showing a woman from the southern Chinese province of Guangdong helping a young child loosen his trousers to urinate beside a flower bed.

advertisement
The Apple Daily had a similar photograph of a child urinating near one of the park's restaurants and another shot of four mainland Chinese women resting on the ground barefoot.

A cleaner at the park complained that there were more cigarette butts to pick up Monday compared to pre-opening rehearsal days, when visitors were mostly local Hong Kongers, the report said.

Hong Kong Disneyworld spokeswoman Esther Wong declined to say whether she thought the reports would tarnish the park's image. She said the rules require that all guests wear shoes within the park.

"All our cast members are trained to handle different guest situations," she said. "Cast members" is Disney lingo for its employees.

:shock:
Blackie Pueblo

Sarah Turp
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by Sarah Turp » Jan Fri 20, 2006 6:33 am

Thats a real shame. I think it would be great to vist all the Disney Parks, but now i'm not sure. I wouldn't want the park to give Disney a bad image!
Maybe it will get better with time as people get used to how things are done in the Disney parks. A few signs to the nearest toilets might also be a good idea!!! :wink:

robwhite

Post by robwhite » Aug Sun 13, 2006 7:36 pm

You know what..i think the people of Hong Kong are just responding wrong to the Disney Park! :ariel: