Feedback & Questions about Subsonic Radio

Moderator: Moderators

lonepalm
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Re: EPCOT Channel

Post by lonepalm » May Mon 18, 2015 6:23 am

Amy wrote:
zammis wrote:This is a great idea! I would love the idea of an Epcot stream! I would host it if I knew how! I've got loads of time, but wouldn't know where to start!? :hatter_bounce:
I think you just need a computer and storage space. You can always pop into chat and see if any of the powers that be are in there to ask :D
In order to host a stream, the most important thing you need to have is internet bandwidth (upload speeds more so than download speeds). I have FiOS with the 50/50 speeds (50 up, 50 down), so I host the 48k Request stream for SR. If you don't have FiOS, or a comparable alternative, I don't think hosting is really an option. Comcast, Time Warner, etc just don't provide a decent upload speed on most of their internet plans.

Proud bandwidth donor to Subsonic Radio!

Check out disneyparksinfo.com and wdwthemeparks.com!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Mon 18, 2015 6:25 am

Ah, bandwidth ~ that makes sense ~ thanks for the clarification lonepalm. :D

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » May Mon 18, 2015 6:51 am

lonepalm wrote: In order to host a stream, the most important thing you need to have is internet bandwidth (upload speeds more so than download speeds). I have FiOS with the 50/50 speeds (50 up, 50 down), so I host the 48k Request stream for SR. If you don't have FiOS, or a comparable alternative, I don't think hosting is really an option. Comcast, Time Warner, etc just don't provide a decent upload speed on most of their internet plans.
This all sounded like njebfjrbfkejbfksjrbgksrbskbrwf sr fskef djenv speeds blahblahblahblah blah 48k Request stream blah blah blah blah Comcast blah blah Internet. :?: :?: :?: :?: :mrgreen:
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

BleuLlama
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by BleuLlama » May Tue 19, 2015 3:19 pm

Don't make fun of someone trying to answer your concern. If you don't understand that, you should come to the conclusion that you need to learn a bit more before pursuing hosting your own stream, rather than just pretending it's all gobbledygook that you don't understand. It was an honest (and accurate) response that is helpful if you care to learn about it.

With Jimi's server as well, we have plenty of hosting bandwidth right now. Jimi's server hosts 9 of our channels currently, and is not saturated bandwidth wise.

I could easily spin up another channel, or change a day on Monorail Purple to satisfy the "need" discussed in this thread, but I honestly don't see what an EPCOT stream would offer over what Future Land or Background already provide, other than dilution. There's so much overlap between what you're asking about and these offerings that I don't see it as being something worth creating... but that's just my opinion.

Or are you asking for a World Showcase channel? I'm not sure that we have enough varied content to make that worthwhile either...
1978: WDW MK, River Country -- Fort Wilderness
1985: WDW MK, EPCOT, River Country -- Polynesian
2011: DLR, DCA (one day)
2012: WDW Poly (one evening)
All of that, and part of me is still there.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Tue 19, 2015 7:46 pm

I think cy1229 was just having some fun ~ I'm sure she knows what all of those terms mean and was just making light of the fact that all of that can be sort of confusing if it isn't something you deal with everyday.
Jimi must have excellent bandwidth ~ thank goodness for his server :D

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » May Wed 20, 2015 5:55 am

BleuLlama wrote:Don't make fun of someone trying to answer your concern. If you don't understand that, you should come to the conclusion that you need to learn a bit more before pursuing hosting your own stream, rather than just pretending it's all gobbledygook that you don't understand. It was an honest (and accurate) response that is helpful if you care to learn about it.

With Jimi's server as well, we have plenty of hosting bandwidth right now. Jimi's server hosts 9 of our channels currently, and is not saturated bandwidth wise.

I could easily spin up another channel, or change a day on Monorail Purple to satisfy the "need" discussed in this thread, but I honestly don't see what an EPCOT stream would offer over what Future Land or Background already provide, other than dilution. There's so much overlap between what you're asking about and these offerings that I don't see it as being something worth creating... but that's just my opinion.

Or are you asking for a World Showcase channel? I'm not sure that we have enough varied content to make that worthwhile either...
So, to clarify...

First, I didn't ask the original question. So there wouldn't be any use in me trying to tell you what the original poster was asking. Although, an Epcot World Showcase channel WOULD be nice. But that's just me.

Second, I've always wondered what is needed to host a stream. The requirements don't make any sense at all to me, hence the nonsense with a few understandable bits for me. What I did get out of it is that I won't be able to host unless I get my internet some other way than through Comcast.

I'm sorry you took offense at my gobbledygook. I was NOT making fun, except maybe to make fun of my ignorance of this stuff.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

BleuLlama

Post by BleuLlama » May Wed 20, 2015 9:39 am

cy1229 wrote: So, to clarify...

First, I didn't ask the original question. So there wouldn't be any use in me trying to tell you what the original poster was asking. Although, an Epcot World Showcase channel WOULD be nice. But that's just me.

Second, I've always wondered what is needed to host a stream. The requirements don't make any sense at all to me, hence the nonsense with a few understandable bits for me. What I did get out of it is that I won't be able to host unless I get my internet some other way than through Comcast.

I'm sorry you took offense at my gobbledygook. I was NOT making fun, except maybe to make fun of my ignorance of this stuff.
Nonono... I wasn't trying to say that at all... What I was trying to say, poorly, is that I meant that you shouldn't make fun of your own "ignorance of this stuff"... take that as a cue for a path to learn more.... I believe it's within everyone's capability here to understand what goes on behind the scenes here. The technobabble is just a new learnable language... Don't sell yourself short. :)

The short version (somewhat translated from technobabble ;) is:
- you need a computer that's on all the time
- you need a computer that you're willing to have working on something all the time (taking the mp3 music files, crunching on them a bit, and handing them to "listeners")
- you need a network connection that's available all the time (so that people can listen continuously)
- you need a network connection level that's probably above what the average person pays for at home
- the average DSL connection can support 1 or 2 listeners
- the average Cable Modem connection can support 10-15 listeners
- the average FIOS (Verizon), Greenlight, or Google Fiber connection can support well more than 100 listeners
- You also need to make sure that your network provider (Frontier, Comcast, Verizon, etc) Is okay with you having a "server" at home, providing music streams to listeners...

Jimi (and others) have provided us with space on their computers with all of the above. His has room to spare for more streams.

How's that? :)
1978: WDW MK, River Country -- Fort Wilderness
1985: WDW MK, EPCOT, River Country -- Polynesian
2011: DLR, DCA (one day)
2012: WDW Poly (one evening)
All of that, and part of me is still there.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » May Wed 20, 2015 1:59 pm

That works. :)

If I'm ever in the position to be able to host a stream, I'm more than willing to provide the hardware. The hard part for me would be if something goes wrong. But hey, then maybe it would be a chance to meet some of you technogeeks in person to troubleshoot. :)
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

octoberbarry
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by octoberbarry » Jun Mon 01, 2015 4:50 am

One of my favorite things to do these days is just to head into the 'requests' mode and choose the park or resort I want to stroll around in in my brain, and then blow out my points for today on music from that place. Instant 'half hour vacation'...

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Jun Mon 01, 2015 2:52 pm

octoberbarry wrote:One of my favorite things to do these days is just to head into the 'requests' mode and choose the park or resort I want to stroll around in in my brain, and then blow out my points for today on music from that place. Instant 'half hour vacation'...
I've done this very thing myself with the World Showcase. I'll choose a track from each of the countries, in order, and have a half-hour stroll (which would really be more like a slow jog if done in real time at WS).
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

BuDz211
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by BuDz211 » Jul Sun 19, 2015 11:20 pm

octoberbarry wrote:One of my favorite things to do these days is just to head into the 'requests' mode and choose the park or resort I want to stroll around in in my brain, and then blow out my points for today on music from that place. Instant 'half hour vacation'...
Awesome idea! Thanks for sharing!
Image Image