Streams / Availability

Feedback & Questions about Subsonic Radio

Moderator: Moderators

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Streams / Availability

Post by cy1229 » Mar Thu 06, 2014 11:07 am

I REALLY hope this doesn't come off as a whine.

We used to have a LOT more choices in the streams available, as well as the number of people who could listen to the requests line, than we do now. Are we going to have that return? What needs to happen for more availability for listening, especially to the requests stream? I know quite literally nothing about web hosting and what's required, but would be willing to learn. My internet is through our cable company, so would I be able to host if I had the right equipment?

I don't want to lodge a complaint without offering a solution, but I would like to do what I'm able to get us back to more availability for more people.

Thanks for everything you all do every day to make this happen!
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Arvorenn
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Re: Streams / Availability

Post by Arvorenn » Mar Sat 08, 2014 4:36 pm

The answer to your question is basically bandwidth. And time by our admins to fix any technical issues that may or may not be present at the moment (I know that BleuLlama has been working on some solutions to his streams that had to go offline), but the main issue is bandwith, I think.

Now, to donate bandwidth you need at least 5 Mbit/s upstream (anything lower wouldn't help that much, if I remember correctly) and a home server, which can be any spare computer that you can leave running 24/7 (I don't know if it would work on a computer that's also otherwise in use, but I don't think that it would be too great for the listeners and for you as the user - but I'm not familiar on the requirements of shout- and icecast; subsonic, rdeacon and BleuLlama will know better).

If you have that, I'd suggest contacting subsonic directly to figure out the details :)

lonepalm
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by lonepalm » Mar Mon 10, 2014 9:10 am

Forgive me for jumping in as I may be wrong, but I don't think 5MB/s upstream would really offer any value. I have FiOS and donate my upload bandwidth which is currently 25 MB/s and that powers the 48k request stream.

Proud bandwidth donor to Subsonic Radio!

Check out disneyparksinfo.com and wdwthemeparks.com!

BleuLlama
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by BleuLlama » Mar Wed 26, 2014 11:22 pm

Thanks to Jimi, we now have a heck of a lot of bandwidth on a machine sitting out there. We're currently sourcing and streaming 8 streams from there. (Dole Whip, Tangaroa Terrace, Future Land, Soarin, Star Tunnel, Living Seas, Main Street, and WEDWay)

And before this, my server was on 5meg up, shared with a bunch of other people, which was fine, and could host 30+ listeners (1 meg uplink can host about 11-12 listeners at 96k) but their bandwidth was getting constricted, so i had to turn off a few streams. But that's no longer an issue.
1978: WDW MK, River Country -- Fort Wilderness
1985: WDW MK, EPCOT, River Country -- Polynesian
2011: DLR, DCA (one day)
2012: WDW Poly (one evening)
All of that, and part of me is still there.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Thu 27, 2014 6:41 am

Thanks a lot to Jimi and the others that were able to get the streams up and running ~ although I tend to listen to the same streams most of the time, it is always nice to have options! :D

ImagineerWannabe
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by ImagineerWannabe » Mar Sat 29, 2014 3:28 pm

So happy to have Living Seas and Soarin' back! Thank you!

JonathanCC
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by JonathanCC » Apr Tue 01, 2014 10:20 am

Just want to thank you for bringing back WedWay, Dole Whip and the Tangaroa streams! Love listening to these.

kelpseaweedkelp

Post by kelpseaweedkelp » Apr Tue 01, 2014 3:21 pm

Thanks to the hosts! So awesome of you all to donate!! Thank you!