high speed channel

Feedback & Questions about Subsonic Radio

Moderator: Moderators

Do you want a 128k channel of SubsonicRadio?

Yes! I'll wash and wax Subsonic's car for 128k!
53%
What's 128k mean?
No votes
No thanks, I'm on a slower connection
20%
I don't feel that 128k is necessary
27%

Total votes: 15

sockfire
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

high speed channel

Post by sockfire » Jul Mon 19, 2004 12:56 pm

I've been bugging Subsonic to put up a special 128k stream so we can hear all of the high quality tracks the way they were intended. Now the number of tracks would be smaller, so the playlist wouldn't be so well rounded, but there's still some great stuff.

:!: If you are interested in a high bitrate channel, post your comments and vote in the poll :!:

cookr3

Post by cookr3 » Jul Tue 20, 2004 5:42 pm

yea i would love for a 128k channel. PLEAESE PUT IT UP!!

sockfire

Wow!

Post by sockfire » Jul Wed 21, 2004 1:17 am

Not as big of a demand as I thought there would be! :shock:

Maybe I can talk Subsonic into putting up 3 or 4 special 128k channels to satisfy the few high speed junkies out there. I'd be happy to put together a special playlist that only includes the high bitrate content... :D

If anyone else is interested, please vote in the poll AND post :!:

Wuzefelix

Post by Wuzefelix » Jul Wed 21, 2004 4:40 pm

Hi!

I have been in DLP the last week, so I was not able to vote and reply ;-).
But I would LOVE a 128k stream, but perhaps it should only bee for registered User.

rich
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by rich » Jul Thu 22, 2004 7:29 am

Is it really going to sound that much better? Guess I'll have to wait and see.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Jul Thu 22, 2004 11:15 am

Who's going to provide the bandwidth?
If it's only High Quality files, how do I integrat a playlist and request system for those?

cliff_77

Post by cliff_77 » Jul Thu 22, 2004 11:17 am

How many 128 kb songs are there? Unless it's a fairly large number, I'm not sure if I would be interested. Plus, I'd probably only listen at work. At home I have DSL, but its shared across 3 P2P junkies, so my bandwidth is limited.

sockfire

uh oh

Post by sockfire » Jul Thu 22, 2004 12:29 pm

subsonic wrote:Who's going to provide the bandwidth?
If it's only High Quality files, how do I integrat a playlist and request system for those?
Uh oh, sounds like this is harder than it sounds. Maybe we need to do more research, but I like Wuzefelix's idea of making it a registered login channel. If we do that we can limit the time people spend on it. We could ever limit it to people who have posted a certain number of times. Like don't advertise it on the main page. Just send out an email with the link to the top 10 posters. We wouldn't need more than a capacity of 3 or 4.

As far as sound quality goes, I notice a big difference between 64 and 128. If you want to test this out, take a CD ripping program like musicmatch and record a track at 128, then record it at 64 and compare. The sound is more full.

There are at least 100 tracks in the 128k or higher range, maybe more. A good portion of those are from albums and other official media. This includes a few tracks that Subsonic does not currently have in the playlist.

Wuzefelix

Post by Wuzefelix » Jul Thu 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Hi!

Perhaps you could allow registered users to hear the 128k stream at fixed times. I hope you understand what I try to say.
I am european, and I would enjoy listening to a 128k stream every day between 6:00am and 11:00am (pacific time).
I think most american would enjoy listening to the stream a bit later.

If you would have a 128k stream, you could not only reserve it to registered users, but also reserve different times for different users.

That is just an idea from a crazy german guy, so if you don't like it, it's ok... :)

And the crazy guy has no idea how to fix the technical difficulties, so don't ask him about that :P *gg*

eagle4life69
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by eagle4life69 » Aug Mon 16, 2004 10:10 pm

Hoew could you give some Bandwith i have cable and no one uses my computer durring the day just let me know what i may need to do

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Aug Tue 17, 2004 11:23 am

eagle4life69 wrote:Hoew could you give some Bandwith i have cable and no one uses my computer durring the day just let me know what i may need to do
What's your upload bandwidth?