Questions about donating bandwidth

Feedback & Questions about Subsonic Radio

Moderator: Moderators

jrcohen
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Questions about donating bandwidth

Post by jrcohen » Jan Fri 10, 2014 9:56 am

I live in Austin, one of the best cities in America, and because of Google's push on building a fiber network from the ground up here it has forced at&t to step their game up as well. As my neighborhood does not seem to be on the fast track to Google Fiber, my DW and I decided to sign up with AT&T Gigapower this week. We are getting our install on Saturday and will be receiving a proposed 300 Mbps upstream as well as downstream; to be upgraded to 1 Gbps by mid year. With this new found bandwidth, I would like to give back to the community I've been glad to be a part of for the last 10 years. I had a few questions for the mods on how I can be of help.

I have never hosted a home server. I have done server installs, setup, and basic IT work for the servers at our office. I am in the process of flushing our home desktop and installing a clean version of Windows 8. What hardware, software, and or set up would I need?

Also, we will have a terabyte limit on bandwidth, how much bandwidth does hosting the streams average on a monthly basis?

I wasn't sure if this should be a forum post or a PA, but would really like to help out.
Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle until the ride comes to a full and complete stop. Thank you, and enjoy the rest of your day here at Walt Disney World.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Questions about donating bandwidth

Post by Amy » Jan Fri 10, 2014 11:00 am

Wow ~ sounds like you will have lightning fast internet with that! Hope you are able to host another stream :D

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Jan Fri 10, 2014 11:46 am

In the voice of Charlie Brown's teacher:
jrcohen wrote:I live in Austin, one of the best cities in America, and because of Google's push on building a fiber network from the ground up here it has forced at&t to step their game up as well. As my neighborhood does not seem to be on the fast track to Google Fiber, my DW and I decided to sign up with AT&T Gigapower this week. We are getting our install on Saturday and will be receiving a proposed 300 Mbps upstream as well as downstream; to be upgraded to 1 Gbps by mid year. With this new found bandwidth, I would like to give back to the community I've been glad to be a part of for the last 10 years. I had a few questions for the mods on how I can be of help.

I have never hosted a home server. I have done server installs, setup, and basic IT work for the servers at our office. I am in the process of flushing our home desktop and installing a clean version of Windows 8. What hardware, software, and or set up would I need?

Also, we will have a terabyte limit on bandwidth, how much bandwidth does hosting the streams average on a monthly basis?

I wasn't sure if this should be a forum post or a PA, but would really like to help out.
I'm just happy that (a) you guys know what this means, and (b) we might have more choices or options for streaming! Yay! And thank you!
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

jderoche5
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by jderoche5 » Jan Tue 21, 2014 10:40 am

If it gives us more streams and more music options than I am all for it!
Jessica
Always remember that it was started by a mouse…...

http://instagram.com/jderoche5

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Feb Thu 20, 2014 1:51 pm

jrcohen wrote:I wasn't sure if this should be a forum post or a PA, but would really like to help out.
Heya, Please email me about this! :) It sounds like you have a lot of bandwidth.
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z