30 minute limit?

Feedback & Questions about Subsonic Radio

Moderator: Moderators

standswestMK
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

30 minute limit?

Post by standswestMK » Oct Fri 05, 2012 1:13 pm

New user here, and I got a pop up that i closed to quick to read a couple of days ago. Something about "your requests exceed 30 minutes" or something to that effect. Is that total time of all requests or is that because of a 30 minute long track in queue? Did a quick search on site and didn't see anything regarding this, then realized this is a great chance to get 10 more points as well. :p

Caleb

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: 30 minute limit?

Post by Len90 » Oct Fri 05, 2012 1:35 pm

Hello Caleb and welcome to the site. Glad to see you are actively requesting and hopefully you will become an active poster. Due to popularity of the site and some members like me having excess points, the request stream has a 30 minute request limit on it. This basically allows you to request as many tracks as you like so long as their combined play length is 30 minutes or less. If you are under 30 minutes of requested tracks but the next track you request puts you over 30 minutes that message will appear. Secondly, if the track you are requesting is longer than 30 minutes you may only have that track in the request queue. Once your tracks start playing you will be able to request some more, pending your available points.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Oct Fri 05, 2012 10:57 pm

Is it when the track starts playing, you can request again - or is it when the track(s) you requested has played, then you can request again?

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Oct Sun 07, 2012 6:19 pm

mindflipper wrote:Is it when the track starts playing, you can request again - or is it when the track(s) you requested has played, then you can request again?
I believe it is once the track starts playing. I do recall it happening that way a year or two ago when I was requesting lots of tracks during final exams.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."

Sharonofwindham
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Sharonofwindham » Nov Sat 10, 2012 5:45 pm

Len90 wrote:Hello Caleb and welcome to the site. Glad to see you are actively requesting and hopefully you will become an active poster. Due to popularity of the site and some members like me having excess points, the request stream has a 30 minute request limit on it. This basically allows you to request as many tracks as you like so long as their combined play length is 30 minutes or less. If you are under 30 minutes of requested tracks but the next track you request puts you over 30 minutes that message will appear. Secondly, if the track you are requesting is longer than 30 minutes you may only have that track in the request queue. Once your tracks start playing you will be able to request some more, pending your available points.
I just ran into a problem that happens to me frequently. My list of requests has been played, and has been finished playing for quite some time, and STILL I cannot request another track, EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING :evil: Especially when there isn't anyone else requesting anything anyway :evil: :roll:!!!

standswestMK

Post by standswestMK » Nov Tue 13, 2012 8:47 am

ty for the replies. I haven't encountered sharon's problem thankfully!

brye
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by brye » Nov Wed 14, 2012 7:12 am

i just noticed this message also. kind of sucks. it would be nice if it could be scripted to still allow you to request, but put you "xx" behind other users requests or something to that effect. i wake up early and request early so that i can hear my requests. but to limit at 30 minutes, and then by the time i can request again the queue is hours long kind of stinks.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/4633/castlepm7.jpg[/img][/url]

snomasnayr
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by snomasnayr » Dec Sat 08, 2012 5:47 pm

brye wrote:i just noticed this message also. kind of sucks. it would be nice if it could be scripted to still allow you to request, but put you "xx" behind other users requests or something to that effect. i wake up early and request early so that i can hear my requests. but to limit at 30 minutes, and then by the time i can request again the queue is hours long kind of stinks.
That sounds like a good idea-- as long as I'm the one getting up early!! :D

After that, though, it should maybe limit your total que time to an hour or something. That way you can have double the request time broken up.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Dec Wed 12, 2012 11:56 am

To everyone who is having issues requesting, do you still have points available to request? If you don't have the available points, you will have to either wait until your points regenerate (every 24 hours) or stop by the chat/pm someone to request the track for you.

Right now there are two "rules" in effect. They are your points and the 30 minutes in the request queue. There are changes planned for the future, but that is for another time.
- Len90

rdeacon
Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad Engineer
Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad Engineer

Post by rdeacon » Jan Mon 07, 2013 9:27 am

I will be the first one to admit, some of the rules for request are not perfect. At this point we think its a decent balance. We have to have some restraints on the number, and length of requests allowed, so no one person can "bully" the stream. Its some that evolves over time.

Rich
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible.."
Walt Disney

[img]http://www.rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_admin_adv.jpg[/img]
[img]http://rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_monkey_adv.jpg[/img]

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » Feb Mon 04, 2013 6:19 pm

Sharonofwindham wrote:
Len90 wrote:Hello Caleb and welcome to the site. Glad to see you are actively requesting and hopefully you will become an active poster. Due to popularity of the site and some members like me having excess points, the request stream has a 30 minute request limit on it. This basically allows you to request as many tracks as you like so long as their combined play length is 30 minutes or less. If you are under 30 minutes of requested tracks but the next track you request puts you over 30 minutes that message will appear. Secondly, if the track you are requesting is longer than 30 minutes you may only have that track in the request queue. Once your tracks start playing you will be able to request some more, pending your available points.
I just ran into a problem that happens to me frequently. My list of requests has been played, and has been finished playing for quite some time, and STILL I cannot request another track, EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING :evil: Especially when there isn't anyone else requesting anything anyway :evil: :roll:!!!

Same thing happens to me Sharon. I have to end up logging out of Subsonic completely and log right back on. that does it for me. But it has to be 30 minutes after your track played before it lets me add something else. :D :goofy:

Goofyfan

Post by Goofyfan » Feb Mon 04, 2013 6:21 pm

rdeacon wrote:I will be the first one to admit, some of the rules for request are not perfect. At this point we think its a decent balance. We have to have some restraints on the number, and length of requests allowed, so no one person can "bully" the stream. Its some that evolves over time.

Rich

I agree. I think things are fine the way they are. :D :goofy:

casrin
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by casrin » Mar Sun 03, 2013 6:52 pm

I remember music here before the 30 minute limit. I'll admit that I had been one - on an early Sunday morning - to put in a long list of music to listen to while I was at work. Those were the days. :lol:
-[b]casrin[/b]
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://www-personal.umd.umich.edu/~cparkins/images/userbar/userbar487580pb0.gif[/img][/url]

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Mar Mon 04, 2013 11:37 pm

casrin wrote:I remember music here before the 30 minute limit. I'll admit that I had been one - on an early Sunday morning - to put in a long list of music to listen to while I was at work. Those were the days. :lol:
Haha casrin, I can remember taking over the requests line enough nights as I studied. In fact, there might have even been a few times when a couple of us just took over the stream :D
- Len90

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Mar Thu 07, 2013 11:33 pm

Len90 wrote:
casrin wrote:I remember music here before the 30 minute limit. I'll admit that I had been one - on an early Sunday morning - to put in a long list of music to listen to while I was at work. Those were the days. :lol:
Haha casrin, I can remember taking over the requests line enough nights as I studied. In fact, there might have even been a few times when a couple of us just took over the stream :D
Ever since I joined there's always been the 30 minute rule, so it's been a few years. The 30 minute rule is needed, or someone like me could take over the stream for the entire day... :twisted: :lol: :roll: :wink: