Withdrawing a request when your attempt to load multiple...

Feedback & Questions about Subsonic Radio

Moderator: Moderators

noledawg
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Withdrawing a request when your attempt to load multiple...

Post by noledawg » Sep Sun 20, 2009 10:39 am

songs is interrupted. Has this happened to anyone else? You try and load up a series of selections and someone drops in a big 30 minute request right in the middle.....

Perhaps there's a way to withdraw a queued request, restore the points, and reset the 'available' counter so it can be re-requested for later in the day?

Probably a huge undertaking for the mods, but a thought....
The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. -- St. Augustine

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Sep Sun 20, 2009 12:03 pm

From what I understand there is no way to withdraw a request and restore your points. It would entail a lot of work by the admins. to set up anther system like that. There are plans to change the request system on the site, but nothing is due to come out soon. However, as for now, the only way to request more, is to keep posting and adding beneficial ideas to the conversations on this site. Each post will get you 10 more points, and they do add up pretty fast.

Also, if you would really like something requested, you can ask me since I have a ton of points that I rarely use now.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

acp
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Location: Formerly Disney-MGM Studios, now Cheshire, England.

Post by acp » Sep Sun 20, 2009 4:52 pm

Len90 is correct. There is no way to remove requests from the queue. Once they're added to the queue, they're added.

Andy.
Subsonic Radio Admin and former Walt Disney World Cast Member

Subsonic Radio Player for Windows (Latest version: 1.8.5 - More info)

Disneyland Paris: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Walt Disney World: 2006, 2010, 2011, 2015, 2019
Tokyo Disney Resort: 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
Hong Kong Disneyland: 2016, 2017
Shanghai Disneyland: 2018

noledawg

Post by noledawg » Sep Sun 20, 2009 8:39 pm

Hey no worries at all. I was just wondering how it works. And laughing at how often that happens to me...

"I'll load up the best bits of Country Bear Jamboree....there's one, there's two...what the hell! I didn't order Just Keep Swimming! Now it's not continuous! ARGH!"
The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. -- St. Augustine

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Sep Mon 21, 2009 12:18 pm

think of it kind of like a juke box. once you put your money (points) in and choose your selection, it can't be stopped/removed.
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Sep Sat 26, 2009 11:05 pm

Yep, the system isn't perfect. It bugs me every day but I've been too busy (lazy?) to implement our ideas to make the system better. I think, for the most part, it works pretty well. It just sucks that people have to log on so early to get their requests heard. Must be discouraging for new people who register, queue something up, and realize they have to wait an entire work day to hear their request. :(
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Sep Sat 26, 2009 11:09 pm

I know I've been guilty of this before, usually when I order up the WoL loop and someone else is in the middle of a string of matching queues.... but honestly, sometimes I just click the request button without checking to see what's playing. I can only listen to Subsonic at certain times so I have to request when I can.....

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Sep Sat 26, 2009 11:15 pm

Nobody should feel guilty about requesting BTW. As Len says, it's a juke box. We have pretty strict rules in now for requesting which makes it difficult for people to "Abuse" the system.

request away!

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Sep Sat 26, 2009 11:20 pm

I know, Sub, but still.... I need to be more considerate and not request a 63 minute loop!! Unless it's 3am and no one's up but me..... :D

rdeacon
Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad Engineer
Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad Engineer

Post by rdeacon » Sep Sun 27, 2009 10:55 am

Just my 2 cents ... there is no way to credit you the request and have it withdrawn, but I can shuffle the order. If I see there is a block and 1 that breaks it I tend to reorder it. Like Sub says its a decent but not perfect system.

Perhaps we could look into a way of offering a way of removing a request from the stream and giving you credit....

Rich
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible.."
Walt Disney

[img]http://www.rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_admin_adv.jpg[/img]
[img]http://rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_monkey_adv.jpg[/img]

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Sep Sun 27, 2009 8:49 pm

I don't think that it rises to that level RD. It is an imperfect system, but I don't know of any that are. I feel you guys have other things that are ahead of this when it comes to being fixed.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Sep Sun 27, 2009 11:14 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:I don't think that it rises to that level RD. It is an imperfect system, but I don't know of any that are. I feel you guys have other things that are ahead of this when it comes to being fixed.
Agreed. I think a lot of the more important work has already been done like upgrading and moving servers and adding tracks. I do think that a forum software upgrade would be a necessity since that report post button would come in handy for catching the spammers a bit quicker.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

casrin
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by casrin » Sep Mon 28, 2009 11:47 am

Soarin08 wrote:I know, Sub, but still.... I need to be more considerate and not request a 63 minute loop!! Unless it's 3am and no one's up but me..... :D
We're all Disney fans here!
-[b]casrin[/b]
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://www-personal.umd.umich.edu/~cparkins/images/userbar/userbar487580pb0.gif[/img][/url]

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Sep Mon 28, 2009 1:43 pm

yep, the forums are quite behind. A lot of stuff is behind. Heck I even remember people wanted sorting of their treasures. :)

Mr.ToadWildRider
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Oct Thu 01, 2009 2:17 pm

There are inherent problems created by allowing people to pull their requests aside from just technical ones.

The one that immediately jumps to mind for me is Person B requests a 60 minute track in the middle of Person A's 30 minute set list. Person C sees that the next available play time is an hour and a half from now so requests their songs anticipating their songs to be played apprx. 90 minutes later. Person A realizes what person B did and yanks their 30 minutes of tracks. Now person C's tracks get bumped up 30 minutes. If person C tunes into Requests 90 minutes later they'd probably just be catching the tail end of their set list. Very annoying.

Obviously there could be many variations of this same problem. Maybe someone didn't interrupt Person A's set, but Person A just decides they don't have time to listen to their requested tracks sometime after they made their request. Maybe that happens to various people between Persons A through Q and poor person R who has set their time expecting to hear his/her tracks at lunch is now queued up for their commute ride in! :shock: