streaming/ripping A song, not multiple songs?

Feedback & Questions about Subsonic Radio

Moderator: Moderators

emopants92
Main Street Horse Car Coachman

streaming/ripping A song, not multiple songs?

Post by emopants92 » Dec Thu 25, 2008 3:40 am

First off I want to point out that this is not me by any means, so I don't want to mysteriously see my IP blocked from listening lol my friend was asking me this question the other day.

Its wrong to rip from the streaming at all I know this, but my friend brought up a good point. How do you catch them, I understand when someone is filling up 20 slots of listeners and is ripping for over 20 hours none stop it is very easy to tell. BUT what if some one is ripping just a single song for their collection, is it still possible to catch them?

SIDE NOTES AGAIN .... NEITHER MY FRIEND NOR I RIP FROM SUBSONIC BROADCAST, I am saying this not to get flamed by a million people; it was just my take on things. ANOTHER THING yes all the ripping is illegal because its stealing music. IF anyone wants to answer my question please answer in a PM because I don't want it going around that OHHH you can rip one song at a time because I can see major problems. Or the flip side DON'T RIP OR DO ANYTHING but listen to subsonic, they are out to get their listeners. Thanks to anyone still reading lol.

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Dec Thu 25, 2008 10:56 am

This is an OK question, so long as what you say is true (that you are not ripping).

Depending on the software being used to rip the song(s) from the stream, it is sometimes very easy to tell if someone is ripping. If they are using a specific type of software, it tells the server that there is a very strange player connected to the stream. We can manually go in and kick that player off the stream. If that player connects again fairly rapidly, we'll kick again. if it keeps connecting after multiple kicks, then we'll ban.
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

emopants92

Post by emopants92 » Dec Thu 25, 2008 2:48 pm

Thanks, and that actually makes alot of sense

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Dec Thu 25, 2008 2:49 pm

Years ago I was flagged on Sub because I sometimes left the player on for days. It's sometimes is background music in my home, my family likes it. Now it seem like there are a lot of people who do this.

About ripping. RIPPING BAD!! Listening good! Let's face it, if someone was so inclined, there are many different recordings software's out there. They ( sorry if this sounds instructional ) record on the output side of your computer. You know, sort of like putting a mike to your computer speakers. Unlike ripping software, it makes one long recording.

There are enough low priced download services out there with Disney music, well you don't have to rip. You could also, for a very affordable price, set your computer up like mine and transfer (digitize) all your older copies of collected music to your computer. It's not hard to do and you can google some very good instructions on the technical aspects of this.
Last edited by Jacca5660 on Dec Fri 26, 2008 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

emopants92

Post by emopants92 » Dec Fri 26, 2008 3:36 am

also a good tip that I might say is that anyone using subsonic radio to fall asleep to might want to find a good player that has a sleep timer on it for your computer. I actually almost every night tune in to fall asleep to some nice music, I usually use media monkey because I have a sleep timer on it. Just a helpful tip.

rdeacon
Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad Engineer

Post by rdeacon » Dec Fri 26, 2008 7:36 am

Think some clarification is in order here.

First as js3901 stated there are certain software we look for that are known rippers. We have scripts in place that automatically find and ban these types of clients. I also check the logs for suspicious behavior. Rippers tend to connect in certain ways and sometimes follow a specific profile. In those cases manual bans are set.

There is no ban if someone is connected for an extended length of time. That used to be the case but no longer. You will be kicked after a certain time. The current max is 18hrs. But you are not banned and can reconnect. We do this in case someone has left the stream on accidentally. This maintains that people are actively listening, and maintains slots for as main users as possible, since we have a limited number of slots.

Hope that clears things up.

Rich
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible.."
Walt Disney

[img]http://www.rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_admin_adv.jpg[/img]
[img]http://rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_monkey_adv.jpg[/img]

emopants92

Post by emopants92 » Dec Sun 28, 2008 3:49 pm

Yeah that did thank for the help

casrin
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by casrin » Jan Mon 05, 2009 1:43 pm

Wow, this was interesting for me to read. I always wondered... but was afraid to ask. :lol:
-[b]casrin[/b]
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://www-personal.umd.umich.edu/~cparkins/images/userbar/userbar487580pb0.gif[/img][/url]

Nz58cl
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by Nz58cl » Jan Mon 05, 2009 7:06 pm

It's good that being connected for a long time no loner gets you banned since I know a few people who work at a 24/7 IT company that would go crazy without internet radio. :lol: not that they aren't already a little screwy.

piratesfan

Post by piratesfan » Jul Sun 12, 2009 9:46 pm

I tried ripping before I read the rules :shock: I won't make this mistake again. It appears I cannot connect anymore. Is there a second chance clause :?: I love this place and promise to be a good citizen.

rdeacon

Post by rdeacon » Jul Mon 13, 2009 8:15 am

Piratesfan: come into chat and I can grant your a reprieve.

Rich
Walt Disney

piratesfan

Post by piratesfan » Jul Tue 14, 2009 8:35 pm

I've popped in a few times but can't seem to come in when you are in there.

rdeacon

Post by rdeacon » Jul Wed 15, 2009 8:19 am

I am in there most days 9-5 EST and most evenings

Rich
Walt Disney

Clusty
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Clusty » Jul Sat 18, 2009 12:14 am

I don't know why somebody would rip this. If you need it that bad... there are other places to get it.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Sep Mon 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Personally, I'm new to internet radio and this website. So don't laugh....what is ripping? Is that similar to like ripping MP3s from a CD? And I just want to check - if I'm using WINAMP or Windows Media Player to listen that neither of these are capable of ripping, right?