Subsonic Radio on the iPhone!!! :D

Feedback & Questions about Subsonic Radio

Moderator: Moderators

disneylandmom
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by disneylandmom » Jan Mon 12, 2009 9:37 am

Shoutcast has a free app out now that makes it very easy to do a search for subsonic and start listening. I downloaded it last night and it worked quite well.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jan Mon 12, 2009 11:05 pm

disneylandmom wrote:Shoutcast has a free app out now that makes it very easy to do a search for subsonic and start listening. I downloaded it last night and it worked quite well.
I saw that, and tried it out on my brother's iPhone. The only problems I saw were that I couldn't get the Star Tunnel and Soarin' streams and I didn't see a way to bookmark the streams.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Jan Mon 12, 2009 11:18 pm

Len90 wrote:
disneylandmom wrote:Shoutcast has a free app out now that makes it very easy to do a search for subsonic and start listening. I downloaded it last night and it worked quite well.
I saw that, and tried it out on my brother's iPhone. The only problems I saw were that I couldn't get the Star Tunnel and Soarin' streams and I didn't see a way to bookmark the streams.
the Star Tunnel, Soarin, and Holiday streams aren't done by Shoutcast like the rest of the streams they are hosted by another user, we just have the links on the site. so they won't show up on shoutcast
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

disneylandmom
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by disneylandmom » Jan Mon 12, 2009 11:34 pm

Len90 wrote:
You can "favorite" a stream when you have it playing by touching the star in the upper right hand corner.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jan Mon 12, 2009 11:53 pm

disneylandmom wrote:
Len90 wrote:
You can "favorite" a stream when you have it playing by touching the star in the upper right hand corner.
Thanks! I'll set that up on my brother's phone!

ps: Thanks js for explaining why those don't appear on shoutcast.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."

Mark86
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Mark86 » Feb Tue 24, 2009 1:09 am

So far, I am really happy with shoutcast. The only problem I have sporadically is the stream cuts out and I have to reload. My phone is always on the 3g network so it does not make sense. Overall, I am very happy and deleted Flycast from my phone.
Mark86

danimal3114u
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by danimal3114u » Feb Tue 24, 2009 10:43 am

Thanks for the Shoutcast recommendation everyone! It's tough to keep up with all the changing Apps and what's best out there :)

Nicc513
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Nicc513 » Feb Tue 24, 2009 12:24 pm

What's better: the Shoutcast app or the Tuner app? Pros & cons, anyone?

I use the Tuner app now on my iPod Touch, but if Shoutcast is better, I'm willing to switch.

Mark86
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Mark86 » Feb Tue 24, 2009 1:28 pm

I would definitely not say that Shoutcast is better than the Tuner app. I have noticed on my brothers phone (Tuner), he does not drop the signal very frequently. I definitely have to re-start the stream around 1-5 times per hour. If you are b/w buying the Tuner App or downloading Shoutcast, I recommend trying Shoutcast before spending money. If you already have the Tuner App, stick with it!! Shoutcast is an excellent free solution to listening to Subsonic on the go, but not better than the Tuner app. Also, the Tuner app allows you to listen to the soarin' and star tunnel stream while I can't on shoutcast.
Mark86

Nicc513

Post by Nicc513 » Feb Tue 24, 2009 2:44 pm

Mark86 wrote:I would definitely not say that Shoutcast is better than the Tuner app. I have noticed on my brothers phone (Tuner), he does not drop the signal very frequently. I definitely have to re-start the stream around 1-5 times per hour. If you are b/w buying the Tuner App or downloading Shoutcast, I recommend trying Shoutcast before spending money. If you already have the Tuner App, stick with it!! Shoutcast is an excellent free solution to listening to Subsonic on the go, but not better than the Tuner app. Also, the Tuner app allows you to listen to the soarin' and star tunnel stream while I can't on shoutcast.
Great, thanks. I'll stick with Tuner then. I'm pretty happy with it, very few drops. I was just wondering if I was missing out on something.

Oh, and I had completely forgotten that it was a paid app...lol!

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Feb Tue 24, 2009 5:48 pm

Nicc513 wrote:
Mark86 wrote:I would definitely not say that Shoutcast is better than the Tuner app. I have noticed on my brothers phone (Tuner), he does not drop the signal very frequently. I definitely have to re-start the stream around 1-5 times per hour. If you are b/w buying the Tuner App or downloading Shoutcast, I recommend trying Shoutcast before spending money. If you already have the Tuner App, stick with it!! Shoutcast is an excellent free solution to listening to Subsonic on the go, but not better than the Tuner app. Also, the Tuner app allows you to listen to the soarin' and star tunnel stream while I can't on shoutcast.
Great, thanks. I'll stick with Tuner then. I'm pretty happy with it, very few drops. I was just wondering if I was missing out on something.

Oh, and I had completely forgotten that it was a paid app...lol!
Not only that, but you get the added benefits of Soarin' and Star Tunnel since they are not shoutcast streams.
- Len90

PopCentury2007
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by PopCentury2007 » Mar Thu 26, 2009 2:10 pm

Shoutcast at 64K works great for me. Easily transmits through the ipod interface in my car!
"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Mar Thu 26, 2009 10:56 pm

PopCentury2007 wrote:Shoutcast at 64K works great for me. Easily transmits through the ipod interface in my car!
Yeah that is what I find works best. All the 64K streams work perfect while the 96K can go out in areas that don't offer the best 3G or Edge coverage.
- Len90

trekty
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by trekty » Jul Thu 16, 2009 9:17 am

I use FStream on my iPhone and have had no problems with it stopping when the phone goes to sleep. I do thank those of you who took the time to type out the urls for the streams. I was able to find the "normal" Subsonic streams and play those w/o a problem, but Soarin, Star Tunnel, Holiday were not working (I so needed them last night when I couldn't sleep! :lol: ), but thanks to all of you, I can now enjoy all Subsonic Radio has to offer anytime I want!

What did we do before smart phones??? hehe
Nancie
Any day above ground is a good one

Clusty
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Clusty » Jul Thu 16, 2009 12:29 pm

The streams now work straight in Safari. JUst click on one of the streams on the main page. No need for extra applications. You can even click the Home button and do other things while the music plays.