Walt's Dream of EPCOT gave my son 6 more years of life.

Feedback & Questions about Subsonic Radio

Moderator: Moderators

nancynohorse
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Walt's Dream of EPCOT gave my son 6 more years of life.

Post by nancynohorse » Apr Sun 15, 2007 6:19 pm

In November 1986 my world caved in, my 5 year old son, Erik, was diagnosed with rhabdomyosarcoma. That is a muscle cancer. The first part of December his leg, below the knee, was removed. We were told by the doctor he was removing his leg and saving Erik's life.

In January 1987 I phoned Make-A-Wish to see if Erik qualified for a wish. He did and his wish was to go to WDW. What joy that brought to our family. Our trip was for the end of January. Although, by the time our trip rolled around Erik had begun to fail. He had begun chemo and was very ill. I probably should have taken him to the hospital but we were leaving for his Wish Trip the next day. So, off to The Happiest Place On Earth we went. I figured our first stop would be The Magic Kingdom but we were sent to EPCOT Center. Although, once there we went to first aid because Erik felt so poorly. He hadn't laughed or smiled in nearly 2 months. He also had quit eating.

Once we left first aid we went to Journey Into Imagination. Never guessing my family was going to experince Disney magic first hand. The ride had bearly begun when Figment popped out of the Dream Machine and Erik started laughing! As my son was laughing I cried tears of joy. Upon leaving the ride we were ushered to the Kodak Lounge. There we met Ginger. She was an angel. This was on Tuesday. On Thursday Erik wanted scramble eggs. The hotel had the cook prepare scrambled eggs. The following Sunday we attended a Shriner Breakfast. Erik ate 6 dinner plates of scrambled eggs! His trip to EPCOT CENTER had turned his young life around. Although, the cancer came back twice we managed to get Erik to WDW 12 times during those 6 years. He endured chemo 3 years and radiation treatments but rhabdo is difficult to treat and Erik died in July 1992. My daughter and I are thankful for Walt's dream of EPCOT Center.

Eriks' doctor credits Disney with his longevity. Going to WDW so often Dr. Hutchinson believed gave Erik "that little spark" to fight the cancer.

How super-great it is to be to hear Disney music all the time! I love this web-site! Thank you!

P.S. Does anyone have "Capture A Smile"? It was the song before in the preshow before Captain EO. If any of you saw that show you saw Erik!

js3901
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber
Matterhorn Bobsleds Climber

Post by js3901 » Apr Sun 15, 2007 10:16 pm

I'm sorry your son is no longer with us. Sounds like he was a joy to be around. I'm glad that he got to enjoy himself while in WDW, and he "came out of his shell" (so to speak).

We're happy to be here and present this audio for you. We love to bring back memories with the tracks we offer. Thank YOU for being a part of the site. :D

We currently have not found the Capture A Smile track. I, personally, have searches running 24/7 for tracks we don't have (results are coming up short lately, guess I've found most of what's available on the internet these days). A couple of people have already asked for this track, so as soon as we get it, we'll put it in.
"And please do not sit on the floor. My studies show you can't experience time travel on the floor. and it's not a pretty picture in those shorts" - The Timekeeper

Site Admin, WDW Freak

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Apr Mon 16, 2007 10:50 am

Wow, what a beautiful and sad story at the same time. I'm glad this site / station can help you relive those memories. If we can find "Capture a Smile" I'll be sure to put it in right away.
Join our chat in Discord: https://discord.gg/zw5by3z

rdeacon
Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad Engineer
Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad Engineer

Post by rdeacon » Apr Mon 16, 2007 11:08 am

What a touching story. Sorry to hear that you lost your son. Sounds like the moments you had at WDW were very magical.

It's amazing how something like WDW can spark the human spirit. I guess we all feel that when we go to parks. Its that something "special" we all feel. Your son seems to have gotten an extra dose of that Disney magic.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful touching story.

Rich
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible.."
Walt Disney

[img]http://www.rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_admin_adv.jpg[/img]
[img]http://rdeacon.com/img/banners/bar/SR_monkey_adv.jpg[/img]

Keokagal
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by Keokagal » Apr Tue 17, 2007 1:26 pm

Thank-you for sharing your joy and pain w us. Wishing you many joyful memories. :mickey3:
Peace and Good Health,
Debbie

kristen
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by kristen » May Wed 02, 2007 8:07 pm

I love hearing how Disney has helped an ill or disabled child and that's part of the reason I love it so much. I love to tell people how a child lived a little longer because Disney gave them a little extra oomph, or how an autistic child who hadn't ever spoken much gave a great cry of "Mickey!" upon meeting the mouse for the first time, or just about the countless kids who love riding Snow White or the parking lot tram all day. It warms my heart.

I am sorry that you lost your son, but I am glad that Disney was able to give him that extra oomph to stay with you as long as possible. That is really what it's all about. It isn't about fastpasses, how many times you rode Everest, or how fast you got to Space Mountain after ropedrop. It's seeing the joy on that child's face, especially when you know that even he knows the grim reality he must eventually face. You know that for now, he's in Disney World, having the time of his life, and that's all that matters.

I'm not terminally ill, but I do battle with depression and anxiety on a daily basis. Having Disney in my life has helped me tremendously. When it gets really bad, I think about Walt, Horizons, or even just Mickey Mouse, and I get a little glimmer of hope. I can't afford medication, so Disney is my substitute medication.

BobLefty61
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by BobLefty61 » May Thu 03, 2007 2:42 pm

Nancy....I just sent you a private message. Please check your in-box!

- Bob.

Esmeralda
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Esmeralda » May Thu 03, 2007 2:58 pm

What a touching story. May those memories bring you sweet joy for years to come.
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

nancynohorse

Post by nancynohorse » May Thu 03, 2007 5:40 pm

Thank you all so very much for your replies. They mean so much to me. I have always LOVED Disney. Of course when I had children they were raised on Disney. We had taken my daughter to WDW twice before Erik was born. Her nursery was decorated with Mickey Mouse. When I heard that Make-A-Wish granted wishes we called, not knowing if Erik qualified for a wish. Little did I know. Of course his wish was to meet Mickey. But, Figment 'sparked' Erik to fight the cancer. Good ole' Figment and his buddy Dreamfinder.
[b]-nancynohorse[/b] :mickey:

knedeau
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by knedeau » May Tue 22, 2007 11:29 am

I don't think I've ever cried while reading this forum until today. Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful story. I am so glad that you were able to fill Erik's Disney Wishes, and that it added that much more magic into your lives. Bless You.
"Hey, Look at that guy in the Goofy Mask!" "That's not a mask!" "Oh... Sorry Lady!"

BuDz211
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by BuDz211 » May Wed 23, 2007 1:52 pm

Wow, that's a beautiful story man. It really moved me. I'm happy that you had Erik for those extra years. God bless.
Image Image

JWG
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by JWG » May Wed 23, 2007 2:41 pm

Always sad to hear stories that don't end in Happily Ever After, but excited to hear that a good amount of extended time was created.

My cousin's also went to Disney as their "Make-a-Wish" for their son who died of cancer at 4 years old. They had a great time as a family and were so glad to just be away from everything and have fun for awhile.
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/HeathenAngel/Avatars%20Etc/epcot-fan.gif[/img][/url][url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w251/budz211/horizons.gif[/img][/url]
[img]http://www.disneypedia.org/_i/banners/bar/space-mountain2.gif[/img][img]http://www.disneypedia.org/_i/banners/bar/SR_fan.gif[/img]

nancynohorse

Post by nancynohorse » May Thu 24, 2007 3:16 pm

I don't think I've ever cried while reading this forum until today. Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful story. I am so glad that you were able to fill Erik's Disney Wishes, and that it added that much more magic into your lives. Bless You.
You put me in tears while reading your reply!
My cousin's also went to Disney as their "Make-a-Wish" for their son who died of cancer at 4 years old. They had a great time as a family and were so glad to just be away from everything and have fun for awhile.
I'm sorry your cousin's time with their son was so short, but thank God Walt was able to fulfill his Disney dream! You have me in tears too!
[b]-nancynohorse[/b] :mickey:

octoberbarry
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by octoberbarry » Jun Thu 21, 2007 6:55 am

What a beautiful and sad story. I do hope that your memories are soul food for you and help to keep you going with hope and dreams, as they did your son, for so long...God bless you...

Croaker

Post by Croaker » Jun Thu 21, 2007 9:44 am

I know i'll never look at Journey into Imagination the same ever again. it will put a bigger smile on my face. i cut and pasted your post and emailed it to my wife (i'm lazy...we work together.) I appreciate you reliving those hurts to share with us. what problems do i have? what struggles do i face? They are so small compared to what you already have been through. We have a daughter with autism and i'll never forget the test's they put her through looking for degenerative diseases, waiting for the results and breathing a sigh of relief when they were negative. I'll also never forget the doctors strange look of shock on his face when we screamed in Joy..."its only Autism". forums like this are so awesome, they unite people under a common like. and something so simple(haha) as Disney music can open us up to the love that we have for one another. Thanks Sub, thanks rdeacon, etc...thanks to everyone that participates and shares.
[img]http://www.oleole.es/main/web/images/manchester-united_banner.jpg[/img]