Site Admin
Site Admin

Site Design

Post by subsonic » Mar Mon 15, 2004 3:04 pm

What do you guys think?

pgreger

Flash Menu

Post by pgreger » Mar Mon 15, 2004 3:52 pm

Dude, the Flash Menu is awesome! I really dig the shadows! Good Job!

rich
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by rich » Mar Wed 17, 2004 1:43 pm

I agree, the shadows are a nice touch.

Doombar

Great idea - well executed.

Post by Doombar » Mar Wed 17, 2004 5:13 pm

V. professional. Maybe an index of available tracks would be nice...

Overall a great job, though. Excellent use of flash; particularly like the cursor "Tink".

- Richard.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Mar Thu 18, 2004 2:11 am

Track Listing would be nice. I need to figure out how to do that.

Problem is the website in on one server and the shoutcast server is run out of my house.

I need to figure a way for them to point to one another.

Doombar

Can I be of assistance?...

Post by Doombar » Mar Thu 18, 2004 3:25 am

Thanks for the reply;

Maybe I can help out? I am a programmer developing ASP solutions for the publishing industry [not relevant apart from the fact that these solutions are all web / database based].

- I've not used shoutcast before; but if you can give me a hint of the syntax used to start / chain tracks and indicate how they are stored then I might be able to write you something... Us Disneyites should stick together, you know!

I'm actually going to Orlando in July for the 1st time (Been to Paris several times with and without children!) so I will be piping music from here into the living room to "Gee up" the family any time now!...

- Richard.[/quote]

Kayla

Awesome!

Post by Kayla » Apr Wed 07, 2004 11:01 am

I love the way the index page has the lighted "Tink" that splashes into each link! It is really awesome! Did you create it yourself? Or did you get it from somewhere? I would love to do a similar thing on my personal site.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Apr Wed 07, 2004 11:12 am

Kayla,

Thanks a lot! Yay. Yes, I did the menu myself. One of the perks being a web developer. :) Though, I need to put a "skip" button in there and/or let users be able to have a setting to play/not play the intro when they go to the page.

The menu is done in flash. Do you have flash? I think "tink" is just in a movie clip and would be easy to strip out and put into another flash movie.

Kayla

flash

Post by Kayla » Apr Wed 07, 2004 11:32 am

Subsonic,

I don't know much about flash, but I think I have it. :?

I will be going to school to learn webdesign this summer, so I'm sure I'll learn it there.

How long have you been designing? Does it take long to learn flash?

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Apr Wed 07, 2004 11:40 am

The "tink" effect is probably an advanced effect. It requires a lot of scripting. I'm self taught. Basically, I started with a few tutorials and such and moved from there. Just going through the "getting started" in flash's help helps a lot.

cliff_77

Post by cliff_77 » Apr Fri 09, 2004 5:36 pm

First off, the site and the stream are both fantastic. My wife and I listen almost constantly. :)

About the only thing I would say about the design that is bad is that it is preventing search engines from crawling your site. The search engine spiders can't find the interior of your site through the flash navigation and they really don't like the frames either unfortunately. The flash problem is easy to solve by adding text links on the site, but the frames are pretty hard to do anything about.

The only reason that I would suggest maybe changing it would be so that other people who like your music could find you easier. :) If you need any help or suggestions shoot me an email at cliffj@sentientcreations.com or post here and I'll see what I can do (I do search engine optimization and web development all day long.)

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Apr Fri 09, 2004 5:47 pm

You guys listen constantly and this is just for first post, and unregistered at that??!? :)
(EDIT: I saw that you registered and set your post above to use your registered name and added to your post count)

I do website design all day also. The reason I used frames is because I want the flash animation to play after the user clicks on a link instead of going to a new page. Also, I want to intro to play. I'm not super concerned about the search engines, but yes it would be nice to get more traffic. I need to put in a "non flash" version. Which should fix the links problem.
I also have a hit counter that's triggered everytime they visit the page and that's in the title frame so it doesn't get triggered more than once.

What I'll probably do is pull out the frames and then use sessions to only have the intro play when they first come to the site and add to the hit counter. Just takes a few hours to do that... after I've been coding all day it's hard to get motivated to come home and work on the site :)

I'm glad you enjoy the server and be sure to visit here often.

cliff_77

Post by cliff_77 » Apr Fri 09, 2004 6:00 pm

I'm a little slow when it comes to actually registering for things.... :)

Sounds like you have it all worked out, and I know how it can be actually finding time to do anything. Again though, great site. The flash is really great, and since I usually have a fairly strong distaste for flash, I promise that means a lot.

Keep up the great work, and I'll try and hit the forums a bit more often.

subsonic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by subsonic » Apr Mon 12, 2004 11:58 am

Thanks again, After posting, you got me thinking. I should remove the frame and use sessions. I don't know much about getting "hits/ranked" from search engines. Perhaps you could give me some tips.

I agree with the flash. I think if done right it can add to the site. I try not to go all out anymore with the whole page made in flash.

Ugh, so much to do with this site.. so little time.

cliff_77

Post by cliff_77 » Apr Tue 13, 2004 10:00 am

Man, if that isn't the story of my life.

I'll try and put together some search engine pointers when I get a second, it really isn't nearly as hard as most poeple in the industry would like you to think. :)