Subsonic and Amazon Echo/Alexa?

Feedback & Questions about Subsonic Radio

Moderator: Moderators

TheMatt
Main Street Horse Car Coachman

Subsonic and Amazon Echo/Alexa?

Post by TheMatt » Nov Thu 24, 2016 3:28 pm

As I'm bombarded by the Black Friday ads for the Amazon Echo, I wondered: is Subsonic available on that? It'd be nice to just ask for park music and get it. If not, it sort of seems like the Alexa Skills should be able to handle streams.
TheMatt
Someday I'll get my "Peoplemover Full Music Loop" stream...and all will be well with the world!

jeebz68
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Re: Subsonic and Amazon Echo/Alexa?

Post by jeebz68 » Dec Tue 27, 2016 2:31 pm

That would be awesome! I received one for Christmas and love this idea. Is it possible?
"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse." Walt Disney

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Jan Tue 10, 2017 12:27 pm

I got the Google one for Christmas. It's awesome! It's tied to YouTube for music, and you just say "ok Google play Spaceship Earth ride music" and it just plays! Or anything else for that matter. You can also ask it to do a playlist. The volume is loud enough for me, I really like it!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Tue 10, 2017 1:15 pm

cousininmiami wrote:I got the Google one for Christmas. It's awesome! It's tied to YouTube for music, and you just say "ok Google play Spaceship Earth ride music" and it just plays! Or anything else for that matter. You can also ask it to do a playlist. The volume is loud enough for me, I really like it!
Sounds pretty cool!

TheMatt

Post by TheMatt » Nov Tue 07, 2017 8:46 pm

So, I just got an Echo (late to the party). I'm going to try to follow this:

https://www.pluralsight.com/guides/node ... l-tutorial

and perhaps use this:

https://github.com/alexa/skill-sample-n ... dio-player

To try and get my Echo to play Subsonic Radio. Buuuuuut...anyone out there know more about how to do these? I'm a Fortran programmer by trade, so Node.js, etc. is a bit outside my wheelhouse. :)
TheMatt
Someday I'll get my "Peoplemover Full Music Loop" stream...and all will be well with the world!

cfastner
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by cfastner » Nov Thu 09, 2017 3:38 pm

I have just purchased an Amazon Echo Dot and would LOVE to use it to play Subsonic Radio channels.

It appears that "tunein.com" (which is accessible with Alexa) HAS a Subsonic Radio channel but it doesn't seem to work. I assume that someone from Subsonic Radio setup this channel. Is there any chance that someone there can update the channel so it functions properly?

Thanks for all you do for the Disney Park Music fans!

Charlie
~~~

TheMatt

Post by TheMatt » Nov Thu 09, 2017 6:50 pm

cfastner wrote:I have just purchased an Amazon Echo Dot and would LOVE to use it to play Subsonic Radio channels.

It appears that "tunein.com" (which is accessible with Alexa) HAS a Subsonic Radio channel but it doesn't seem to work. I assume that someone from Subsonic Radio setup this channel. Is there any chance that someone there can update the channel so it functions properly?

Thanks for all you do for the Disney Park Music fans!

Charlie
~~~
Yeah, I saw that TuneIn channel as well. It does seem to just spin and stop. Maybe it can be fixed!

And then maybe all the other streams can be added. :D
TheMatt

sspectre
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by sspectre » Jun Sat 02, 2018 7:53 pm

I used the Alexa Skills Kit Audio Player example (linked above) to cobble together a skill for the Background stream. I haven't released it yet and not sure how to add people to an unreleased skill yet (there's supposed a beta test function but I haven't found it). It does work on my Echo.

One thing that's important is Alexa expects a URL to be https://. Currently the Subsonic URLs are not. I dropped the Background stream playlist file (background.mp3.m3u) in an Amazon S3 bucket to get it to work.

I'm going to try to expand this to include all the streams so that you could say "Alexa play Subsonic Radio Requests" or whichever stream you would like to play from one skill.

TheMatt

Post by TheMatt » Jun Sun 03, 2018 12:06 pm

Ooh. Thanks for the progress report. I tried a few times, but Javascript/Node.js is just not my language. I gave up. I wonder how hard it would be to make the Subsonic URLs https?

And if you figure out how to add beta testers...I'm here!
TheMatt

Obbies
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by Obbies » Jun Wed 06, 2018 11:39 am

This makes me happy, sspectre! I'm looking forward to this skill!

Derpderpy
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by Derpderpy » Jun Wed 27, 2018 9:44 pm

TheMatt wrote:Ooh. Thanks for the progress report. I tried a few times, but Javascript/Node.js is just not my language. I gave up. I wonder how hard it would be to make the Subsonic URLs https?

And if you figure out how to add beta testers...I'm here!
http://forum.subsonic.org/forum/viewtop ... ypt#p74862

bigthunder
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by bigthunder » Jul Tue 24, 2018 4:24 am

Hi everyone. Is sspectre still working on this? I create Amazon Echo Skills, so would be happy to develop an official one for Subsonic Radio with all the streams included, if you'd like me to?

TheMatt

Post by TheMatt » Jul Tue 24, 2018 5:28 pm

bigthunder wrote:Hi everyone. Is sspectre still working on this? I create Amazon Echo Skills, so would be happy to develop an official one for Subsonic Radio with all the streams included, if you'd like me to?
I haven't heard anything since his post. I suppose more than one skill can't be harmful. :)
TheMatt

bigthunder
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by bigthunder » Jul Wed 25, 2018 3:02 am

Great. I've created it now, and it's ready for testing :) If anyone who has an Amazon Echo device wants to private message me with their email address I can add them to the beta test. I've sent a message to subsonic himself to get his approval before I publish it.

dholt318
King Arthur Carousel Horseman
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Post by dholt318 » May Sat 25, 2019 12:39 pm

Any news on if subsonic ok the echo app? Just got me one myself and would love to listen on it.
If you can dream it, you can do it. Walt Disney