Feedback & Questions about Subsonic Radio

Moderator: Moderators

daluke
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Community rules around making requests

Post by daluke » May Wed 04, 2016 8:10 am

Hey folks,

Note that this thread provides more recent and official comment on this issue: viewtopic.php?t=10243
I am updating my post right here to be in line with that one. (my changes are in bold italics.)

OK - 6 hours of music selection on the background channel this morning by a single user...

Currently there are no limitations on how much you can choose to play in the various queues. I know work is in the queue for putting in some restrictions, but given that this is a community service - not a private Spotify channel - how about we try to live by some general rules when selecting things in the queue?

Here is my attempt to start a conversation around this - perhaps we can crowd-source some guidelines for us to live by, until systemic policies are put in place?
  • Keep total request time under 30 min of music at one time. Unless the single item is more than 30 min, obviously. [Asia Loop!]
    Restrict your music request to one channel at a time.
    If you do select a lot of music, wait until your last one finishes playing before selecting more music.
Hmm, not sure there is much more than that...any other thoughts?
Last edited by daluke on Aug Mon 01, 2016 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Re: Community rules around making requests

Post by cy1229 » May Wed 04, 2016 8:55 am

Generally speaking, loading 6 hours' worth of music into a community channel is akin to taking 7 doughnuts before everyone has arrived in the office. Tacky, tacky, tacky.

I like what daluke proposed - one track if it's an hour-ish, and no more than an hours' worth total if they're shorter tracks. Additionally, I would add, if the next choice is the "bot" (which is the randomized automated system) feel free to add one more track at a time. People who are listening but not requesting and get sick of, say, my choices, can go to the request page and add something they like.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

casrin
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral
Columbia Sailing Ship Admiral

Post by casrin » May Wed 04, 2016 10:00 am

An hour is certainly more generous than the previous 30 minute limit we'd had. :)
-[b]casrin[/b]
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img]http://www-personal.umd.umich.edu/~cparkins/images/userbar/userbar487580pb0.gif[/img][/url]

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » May Wed 04, 2016 12:56 pm

casrin wrote:An hour is certainly more generous than the previous 30 minute limit we'd had. :)
Depending on how it goes, Subsonic might decide to shorten that up. However, with three streams currently available for requests, an hour seems good. I think his plan is to make more streams requestable.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

daluke
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by daluke » May Fri 06, 2016 8:46 am

And to be clear, I hold no authority here...just another member of the community! I suggested an hour because it is a nice round number, and it allows us to start the conversation, and frankly, that's what I thought the previous limit was! :)

momeja
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by momeja » May Fri 06, 2016 2:32 pm

I liked the old rules: either 1 long track or no more than 30 min. of little tracks. Worked very well for us before.

Of course, there can be exceptions. Like in the middle of the night when you're studying for finals. I used to spend all my points from 1-5 am. What's needed is consciousness of when others are listening and might want to make their own requests. Perhaps if people requesting long tracks would wait to make their next request until the first one is almost done, they would know if there are any others who want to make their own requests.